| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So cold!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:10 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I can't stand the cold at all! Seriously, I was in school today and while everybody else was feeling just slightly cold, I was really uncomfortable and my nails were blue (they're blue right now and I'm sitting at home in a sweater and hoodie). At one point I was wearing a jacket and two scarves to keep myself warm in a class.
Oh, and according to the weather site, the temperature was somewhere in between 15-20 degrees celcius today.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: So cold!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Have you had your thyroid checked? That could be a symptom of hypothyroidism.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:59 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I can't stand the cold either. I've always been the one freezing in the room.
I can sit with a scarf, mittens and hat and still be cold. Actually, this is what I wear in most classes.
I'm usually cold between September through March.
But it's getting pretty cold around here now, around -7 C and snowing today.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:05 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

molly wrote:

Maybe I should have my thyroid checked too! Is it possible to be born with hypothyroidism?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't know! I just know I used to work for a doctor who treated it and taking thyroid supplements helped a lot of people.

I do think some people are just cold, though. My mother in law weighs 95 pounds and she's freezing if it's under 89 degrees.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:35 pm 

A lot of people are sensitive to the cold, I hella am, but if your nails turned blue that could be a sign that your temp dropped a few degrees which feels horrible. Is your normal body temp lower than usual anyway?
Recently I learned that a lower than normal (your normal, not average) temperature could mean you are in the very beginning stages of fighting off an illness. I got blue lips and fingers a few weeks ago and felt absolutely frozen, and I was interested enough to take my temperature. 96F! I took a hot shower because I thought I was going to die! Then I got tonsillitis. Just lovely.

That's more like a cool fact and not something to be worried about.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I get cold really easily and I have raynaud's so my fingers and toes are always turning blue/white. It's worth asking a dr. about. I feel your pain though--I am not looking forward to winter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

Are you underweight? Or borderline underweight? I could not tolerate the cold at all and had constantly blue extremities when I was a low body weight.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:50 am 

Sprig wrote:
Are you underweight? Or borderline underweight? I could not tolerate the cold at all and had constantly blue extremities when I was a low body weight.

That's a good thought, I did use to be borderline underweight, but now I'm pretty much average. But I know what you mean about the blue extremities, the problem is they didn't seem to go away!

molly wrote:

I don't believe it's my thyroid, as I don't have any other symptoms as far as I can see...although now I'm curious. I'm pretty sure I've gotten my hormones checked before (because I have amenorrhea which I'm trying to get out of).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My husband is afraid I'll leave him for the space heater. I told him not until the space heater learns to take out the trash. I'm always cold. I'm sitting here right now in flannel pjs, socks, a fleece sweatshirt (that I stole from said husband) and the spaceheater aimed at me on full blast. I don't ever remember not being freezing. My thyroid and all is fine. My body temp tends to run a little low. I'm just cold.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:08 pm 
Chard Martyr

teddyplanet wrote:
Sprig wrote:

That's a good thought, I did use to be borderline underweight, but now I'm pretty much average.

Was it recently? I lost a lot of weight (got off of a med that made me gain weight) and was cold a lot, even in summer. It just took a bit for my body to catch up. Now I'm better; I get cold when it's cold, but not all the time now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:49 pm 
Tofu Pup

Meggs wrote:
teddyplanet wrote:
Sprig wrote:

That's a good thought, I did use to be borderline underweight, but now I'm pretty much average.

Was it recently? I lost a lot of weight (got off of a med that made me gain weight) and was cold a lot, even in summer. It just took a bit for my body to catch up. Now I'm better; I get cold when it's cold, but not all the time now.

Yeah it took my body awhile to catch up after I gained weight. Im still cold sensitive but not constantly cold.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:58 pm 
Chip Strong

I am cold all the time. Like right now! It's making me not want to move around even though that would help.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:40 pm 

Sprig wrote:
Meggs wrote:

Yeah it took my body awhile to catch up after I gained weight. Im still cold sensitive but not constantly cold.

Well it's been probably around a year and a half since I gained some good weight, but I was going up and down in the range of 4 kilos or so for a while. Pretty stable now though, so maybe I'm just one of those cold people. Or maybe I was a little sick. Hrmph.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]