| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has anyone tanned for Vitamin D?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:15 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Spring has not sprung in Omaha, and I think I need some D! Has anyone ever tanned with UVB for D? Did it work? Was it awful? Did you turn orange? I'm thinking of doing ten minutes.

Post subject: Re: Has anyone tanned for Vitamin D?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My skin is cringing in protest.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:28 pm 

Mine, too! I didn't have my labs done this year, and my D is usually fine, but I think it's low right now because of the looooong gray winter that won't ever end. Supplements don't always work and I'm at my wit's end.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:31 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I used to tan occasionally to help with my eczema, and if this summer is like last summer I might go back to it. You can absolutely wear sunscreen in a tanning booth, and seven minutes is usually what they suggest for transparent people. VERY IMPORTANT TIP: do not miss the crack of your asparagus with the sunscreen. A burnt asscrack is awful.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:35 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i haven't done it, but i read one study that said about 10 minutes of direct UVB every two weeks over the winter is enough to keep vitamin D at average summer levels. so if you did it once now while taking supplements, that might be enough of a bump to carry you until fully sprung spring. said the girl who hasn't had any sort of bloodwork done in at least ten years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:38 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I think if you wear sunscreen you won't get the vitamin d, unfortunately. How much vitamin D do you take in supplements? Maybe just double that? I'm taking 5,000IU a day right now to correct my deficiency and then I'll stay on 2000IU/d for maintenance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:44 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Eep! No! The skin cancer risk is too high

The CDC wrote:
Vitamin D is important for bone health, but studies showing links between vitamin D and other health conditions are inconsistent. Although it is important to get enough vitamin D, the safest way is through diet or supplements. Tanning harms your skin, and the amount of time spent tanning to get enough vitamin D varies from person to person.

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/basic_in ... anning.htm

Have you tried taking D3 instead of D2? I know it's expensive and annoying to remember, but I usually just take one large dose every week.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:53 pm 
Nailed to the V

I used to tan all the time in high school and I was addicted to the warmth. The only reason I can think of for tanning Would be if it helped with vitamin D.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:03 pm 
Naked Under Apron

My levels were really low and I slacked for a looong time on taking a supplement, but I just bought Country Life Vegan D3. (I think that's a great price too, because I swear it was like $28 at my Whole Foods.) Anyway this is probably unhelpful until I take it for a few more weeks and get my levels re-checked, but I wanted to mention it because I didn't know vegan D3 was so easily accessible now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:37 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

julialegume wrote:
I used to tan all the time in high school and I was addicted to the warmth.

Yes! I still miss the warmth of a tanning bed years and years later, even though I fully understand that tanning is the devil. But so cozy!

Sounds like D3 might be the way to go. I was/am badly deficient and I'm on a gross 50,000 IU prescription D3 megadose for like another month before I can get rechecked. I think I'm gonna do the vegan D3 for maintenance since the D2 I was taking didn't seem quite up to the job.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:47 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

IsaChandra wrote:
Has anyone ever tanned with UVB for D? Did it work? Was it awful? Did you turn orange? I'm thinking of doing ten minutes.
I’m not suggesting this source as definitively authoritative, but I recalled Jack Norris’s opinion on the topic (important bit is in the comments).

It’s from 2009 though, so you may want to shoot him an email about what he thinks these days.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:14 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

http://www.skincancer.org/healthy-lifes ... a-priority

"There is no scientifically validated, safe threshold level of UV exposure from the sun or indoor tanning devices that allows for maximal vitamin D synthesis without increasing skin cancer risk."
http://www.aad.org/File%20Library/Globa ... tement.pdf

"Encouraging people to expose themselves to UV radiation to get vitamin D is like telling people to smoke cigarettes to help them lose weight. Both can work, but both are awful ideas."
http://thebeautybrains.com/2009/03/16/i ... vitamin-d/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:33 pm 
Chip Strong

The damaging effects of UV radiation are cumulative over time, so the risks of tanning definitely outweigh any potential benefit. The research end of vitamin D hasn't really panned out, so I would really caution against doing anything expensive or potentially harmful to raise levels. If you haven't been low in the past, chances are you are getting adequate amounts from whatever dietary sources you already have anyway if you live in northern parts of the US.

D3 isn't really much better than D2. There is a prescription form of the vitamin that is a more activated form, but as far as I know that is not available over the counter.

I know it seems like a long winter, but chances are you won't develop rickets.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:55 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm sorry you are having such a long winter. That sounds pretty crummy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:54 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Beanitarian wrote:
D3 isn't really much better than D2. There is a prescription form of the vitamin that is a more activated form, but as far as I know that is not available over the counter.

In large amounts D3 is more effective at raising D levels than large amounts of D2. This was in people with normal levels, but I still would not dismiss the possibility that it could help someone with absorption issues.

ttp://veganhealth.org/articles/bones#d2d3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:20 am 

Well, I did 7 minutes. I don't think it hurt. And now my cheeks are red and I can say I have tanned. Hopefully the sun comes out soon. A goth in a tanning bed, who woulda think it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:43 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Pinko wrote:
julialegume wrote:
I used to tan all the time in high school and I was addicted to the warmth.

Yes! I still miss the warmth of a tanning bed years and years later, even though I fully understand that tanning is the devil. But so cozy!

Sounds like D3 might be the way to go. I was/am badly deficient and I'm on a gross 50,000 IU prescription D3 megadose for like another month before I can get rechecked. I think I'm gonna do the vegan D3 for maintenance since the D2 I was taking didn't seem quite up to the job.

This is me. I loved it, but I can't bring myself to do it any more.

Was thinking about you today, Isa--heard there's snow in Omaha! Yikes! I don't blame you for needing some sunshine and warmth.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:49 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Yikes! Snow still?

You need a little road trip. The beaches here are the best now. I love, love Virginia beach in late April. Hotels are cheap, no crowds, nice weather, lots of seagulls to watch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

This thread makes me never want to leave my cave.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This thread is making me appreciate Florida. (Don't worry, it'll pass.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:08 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
Yikes! Snow still?

You need a little road trip. The beaches here are the best now. I love, love Virginia beach in late April. Hotels are cheap, no crowds, nice weather, lots of seagulls to watch.

Well, funny enough, I am going on vacation. But it's to London!!!! Of course I planned it months ago and couldn't have known I'd be trading gloom for gloom.

Sugh. (that is a mix of sigh + ugh.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

IsaChandra wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Yikes! Snow still?

Well, funny enough, I am going on vacation. But it's to London!!!! Of course I planned it months ago and couldn't have known I'd be trading gloom for gloom.

Sugh. (that is a mix of sigh + ugh.)

Take a side trip to Brighton. The Royal Pavillion is pretty awesome in a completely crazy sauce kind of way. The prince regent is lucky nobody beheaded him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've just had my bloods done. All my levels are fine that were tested except vitamin D. The Dr said they were at 30 (?) & low.
He said as I pay for my medication it is cheaper to buy it myself (rather than prescription) plus I said I wanted to research which vegan supplement to get. He said that D2 isn't as effective at raising levels.
So can you help me?
How large a dose should I get to get my levels up? Is it possible to raise levels with just Vitamin D2 or do I need to get D3?
I currently take 5ug, (200 I.U.) which is the RDA in the UK, in my multivitamin/mineral. I also do try to get sun every day if it comes out! As I do live up North in the UK.
I'd really appreciate any help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'd buy the vegan d3 spray.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:09 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I would ask your doctor for recommendations. I think when you're that low on vitamin D, it's almost impossible to get back into normal range taking over-the-counter doses. Those are usually maintenance doses, but when you're deficient, you need more than that just to get into the normal range. When I was that low, my GP subscribed me 1ml/week. I pretty much sucked up the fact that I was going to have to take non-vegan D3 until my levels were normal. (I've transitioned to a D2 for maintenance and hope that my levels stay up.)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona