| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Urban Legend: Quinoa Has More Calcium Than Cows Milk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:58 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

IsaChandra wrote:
Oh, that info is in an early edition of VwaV (since corrected as soon as I found out it was wrong.) It doesn't embarrass me that I made a mistake, but I think that the author has posted this in hopes of embarrassing me since he recently flounced? Anyway, that is why I hired a registered dietician to work on my last book, it really helps to have everything verified. I think this thread is an attempt to stir up some sort of drama. Apparently people really hate me today and have nothing better to do!

I wasn't aware that one of your books contained that error.

I first saw this error on a static web site ( before everyone had blogs and content management systems ) about 7 years ago. The site belonged to another cookbook author. That site is gone now.

I didn't post this message here to stir things up with you.

By reading a few pages of results from this google search I noticed that a number of sites that print this mistake are cooking related. So I thought this forum would be a good place to start the process of the correction getting spread around.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:32 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

ijustdiedinside wrote:
do calcium fortified faux cheeses exist? i've never had a soy cheese that i could possibly eat in a large enough quantity to get any calcium from it unless it was really loaded with calcium.

Wayfare cheese spreads are fortified. It's one of many reasons I love them. A lot of people think they taste like cheesy margarine, though, which is a fair assessment. 10% RDA in two tablespoons, which is a pretty good amount since I usually eat twice that amount. Their puddings are fortified, too, but not the sour cream.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:55 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

oh that's awesome. i always eat way more than two tablespoons of their hickory smoked spread. nice!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:26 am 
Level 7 Vegan

beforewisdom wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:
Oh, that info is in an early edition of VwaV (since corrected as soon as I found out it was wrong.) It doesn't embarrass me that I made a mistake, but I think that the author has posted this in hopes of embarrassing me since he recently flounced? Anyway, that is why I hired a registered dietician to work on my last book, it really helps to have everything verified. I think this thread is an attempt to stir up some sort of drama. Apparently people really hate me today and have nothing better to do!

I wasn't aware that one of your books contained that error.

I first saw this error on a static web site ( before everyone had blogs and content management systems ) about 7 years ago. The site belonged to another cookbook author. That site is gone now.

I didn't post this message here to stir things up with you.

By reading a few pages of results from this google search I noticed that a number of sites that print this mistake are cooking related. So I thought this forum would be a good place to start the process of the correction getting spread around.

I really hope you genuinely weren't thinking of VWaV when you started this thread. It seems like you were hinting at Isa all along and all of a sudden aren't...? That would be mean and kind of pathetic. I do agree that it's very important for vegans (and everyone else, really) to be factual in their claims. Veganism already gets ripped on enough as it is.

If the well-known vegan-topic-writer isn't Isa, maybe you should send them a kind email? They would probably want to know something like this for the future.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:24 am 
WRETCHED

Based in googling, this doesn't appear to be a vegan thing and apparently there are different types of Quinoa with higher calcium content but even so, it isn't the same. A weight watchers article said quinoa had a higher amount of calcium based on weight vs volume. Still doesn't add up. Who knows? The good thing is if you google calcium and quinoa, the results are basically that it has more calcium than other grains.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:57 am 
Inflexitarian

Is part of the confusion about dry quinoa vs. cooked?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Oh man, I have the early edition of VWAV with the blurb about quinoa containing as much calcium as a quart of milk. Now I don't believe in anything! I'm off to burn all my vegan cookbooks and use the fire to grill a steak.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:15 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I use the Galaxy slices on my veggie burgers because they are fortified. I really wish Daiya was.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:31 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

karichelle wrote:
Perhaps they meant protein and not calcium?

quark wrote:
Is part of the confusion about dry quinoa vs. cooked?

I don't think so.

1 cup of cooked quinoa has 8g of protein, 1 cup of dried quinoa ( a LOT of food ) has 24g of protein.
1 cup of cows milk has 8g of protein, about the same. 1 quart of cows milk has 32 grams of protein.

1 cup of dry quinoa has 80mg of calcium, 1 cup of milk has about 300mg

It would be interesting to know how the original mistake came to be, but we will likely never know. I first encountered the mistake about 7 years ago on cookbook author's web site. That person might not have just been reposting/rewriting misinformation like everyone else. No way to know if that person started it. The mistake did stay up for a long time. That was back in the day before blogs and content management systems. You needed a web designer or someone who knew html, how to upload things, etc to change website content. My guess is that is why it stayed up for so long.

The USDA Nutrition Database as a free, easy and very fast site for looking up individual foods, fwiw
http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list

I contacted the "well known vegan author who writes on food issues" through his site to point out the error in that person's new book.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:25 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I have read that myth enough times that I mentally owned it, so I thank you for dispelling it before I unwittingly someday passed it on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:25 am 
Chip Strong

Are you trying to say that people didn't know how to edit websites 7 years ago??

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:56 am 
WRETCHED

I don't know, maybe he doesn't remember Geocities... I don't think you had to know HTML to set up a site there. That is how you got so many flashing, dancing baby websites ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:17 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Rubella wrote:
Are you trying to say that people didn't know how to edit websites 7 years ago??

i know i put off updating my static HTML crepe site, because it's not convenient.

and as for geocities, i know i had a site that i had forgotten how to edit. it's not out of the ordinary.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:23 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

linanil wrote:
I don't know, maybe he doesn't remember Geocities... I don't think you had to know HTML to set up a site there. That is how you got so many flashing, dancing baby websites ;)

hehehe. that takes me back.

yeah, i love talking about the protein content (and yumminess content!) of quinoa. calcium usually isn't a factor for me eating it. but it's good to have our facts straight.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:44 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Honestly, I'm new to being veg and have read that "fact" in more than one place. I don't remember where, and I told my husband about it so now he's crazy about quinoa. Maybe I'll keep this little piece of information to myself. hehehe.

There is bad info all over the place, but thanks for providing the correct info.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:05 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yep.