| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: confused about vitamin D
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:21 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

littlebear wrote:
When I took my nine month old for his last check up she urged me to give him a vitamin d supplement. We spend several hours a day outside and she said that even people who live in Texas and work outdoors are usually low in d, so it is good to take it. I got some drops (now I cannot remember if they are d2 or d3) and we are all taking them as a family.

I agree. In Germany the parents of every newborn are urged to give their babies vitamin D and they will give you tablets or drops right in the hospital. I thought this was very reasonable especially when your kid is born during winter. But even during summer I'd only bring my baby outside with a hat and sun block.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:45 pm 
Grandfathered In

I take Source of Life (vegan) D3:

5,000 IU/day.

So I'm not about to dissolve, right? I'm still good?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:00 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Well crepe. I was tested 6 months ago and found out my vitamin D levels were really really low. So after taking prescribed megadoses of (non-vegan) D3 for the last half year, I was hoping to be able to switch to a vegan source once done with the course. But I just got retested and even after the megadoses, I'm still really really low. My doctor would like me to take a very specific brand of high dose D3 (again, not vegan) available at the pharmacy for the next three months. I was really hoping to avoid this.

I know health comes first and a sickly vegan is not a good vegan ambassador, but this is bumming me out. I know it's not the end of the world, and a first world problem, but I have to say, I was really hoping to get a great result and switch over. (At least it seems this one's available as drops, so I can avoid the double whammy of D3 and gelcaps.)

I'm also wondering what's causing what seems to be an absorption problem. My sister is also constantly low on D, so I'm wondering if there's a heriditary factor.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:56 pm 
***LIES!!!***

lepelaar, it might be an absorption issue, but also Vitamin D deficiency is sometimes just really hard to treat - many people take a really long time to rebound from deficiency. 6 months is not that long. Hopefully your numbers are moving in the right direction at least!

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that every breastfed baby take a Vitamin D supplement, because most mothers are deficient (formula is obviously supplemented with D). I'm actually shocked that this was not mentioned to you before the 9 month appointment, littlebear! I've tried to search down a vegan drop supplement and there don't seem to be any out there.

Whether lots of time in the sun will work for you depends on you. I certainly know people who only supplement in the winter and live in the NE and their levels are fine year-round (one of my midwives, for one). It seems like the best way to know would be to get tested at the end of the summer and then again mid-winter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks, Ariann. Yeah, I asked my Dr. about possible absorption issues, and he said that doesn't seem to be the problem. I just hadn't realized how low my levels were before. I'm now at 54, and I guess 50 is the low end of normal, so he'd like to see it higher, but when I first got tested six months ago, I was down to 24, so there definitely has been in improvement! Now I'm wondering though if I maybe could switch to a D2 and see how that goes, or if I should just follow his advice to take the D3 he suggested.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:25 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I don't think it'd be a problem taking D2 instead. My mom had super low vitamin D, and the supplement her doctor prescribed was D2. Her levels are back to normal now, as well.

ETA: I just realized she actually has to take two D supplements. One daily (that is probably D3, cause its just a store brand), and then a super mega dose supplement once a week. That's the one that is D2, so actually never mind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:11 pm 
***LIES!!!***

lepelaar wrote:
Thanks, Ariann. Yeah, I asked my Dr. about possible absorption issues, and he said that doesn't seem to be the problem. I just hadn't realized how low my levels were before. I'm now at 54, and I guess 50 is the low end of normal, so he'd like to see it higher, but when I first got tested six months ago, I was down to 24, so there definitely has been in improvement! Now I'm wondering though if I maybe could switch to a D2 and see how that goes, or if I should just follow his advice to take the D3 he suggested.

That's a huge improvement! My advice would be to do whatever you need to do to get healthy and then start playing around with stuff to make sure you can maintain on a vegan supplement.

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2