| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:23 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19212
Location: Cliffbar NJ
My BIL and SIL swear by apple cider vinegar. My BIL gradually lost most of his belly and got to an idea weight within a year (he wasn't very overweight to start) and thinks he has a ton more energy than he used to. My SIL does it, but doesn't feel as much of a benefit.

I just had 2 Tbsps in my water kefir and it tasted really nice - like a citrusy kick.

Anyone have any idea if ACV is good for you, bad for you or indifferent? The only con I know off, is you're not supposed to brush your teeth immediately after drinking vinegar or citrusy drinks because they erode enamel.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:50 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 443
Location: Butler PA
I think it works. I usually drink it in water with something to sweeten it. I wish I could just do a shot but it burns too much.

_________________
poopiebitch wrote:
unless that vulva serves at least 50 people, I really hope that price is a joke.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:58 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10858
Location: Astoria, NY
your brother in law got to his ideal weight by drinking apple cider vinegar? I know people swear by it, and I believe that it makes people feel better, but I can't imagine it could have THAT much of an effect. I sort of chalk it up to being one of those harmless yet basically ineffective things. I know people who swear it by it, but it seems very placebo-ish to me.

i just found this http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar it's probably been linked to on the boards before, but i just saw it.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:44 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
I had a doctor tell me it's good for chronic heartburn, but I'm still a little scared to try it because I always hated vinegar. I don't even like salad dressing.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:38 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:31 pm
Posts: 545
Location: Olympia, WA
I bought some of the good kind and tried drinking it mixed in with a little bit of water. I only lasted a week, I forgot and when I did remember I worried about its damage on my teeth. I can't say it helped because I never gave it much of a chance.

_________________
I think my heart just exploded into a shower of glitter --TinLychee


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:02 am 
Online
Thinks chickens are assholes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:17 pm
Posts: 5715
It really helps unblock my sinuses when I make it in a hot drink and it eases my upset tummy. I don't think it's a wonder food but it does have it's uses. I only drink it through a straw because if what it'll do to your teef.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:19 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 443
Location: Butler PA
kilgore trout wrote:
I had a doctor tell me it's good for chronic heartburn, but I'm still a little scared to try it because I always hated vinegar. I don't even like salad dressing.

I know 'regular' vinegar works! A shot makes the worst heart burn go away asap! I was terrified it would make it worse but it doesn't!

_________________
poopiebitch wrote:
unless that vulva serves at least 50 people, I really hope that price is a joke.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:29 pm 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:01 pm
Posts: 933
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
I don't know of any pros or cons healthwise, but I like to add it to much of my cooking.
Tofulish wrote:
The only con I know off, is you're not supposed to brush your teeth immediately after drinking vinegar or citrusy drinks because they erode enamel.

This goes for anything acidic - soda pop, sports drinks are especially bad. They soften your tooth enamel, and brushing within 1 hour of consuming damages the enamel.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:48 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 4056
Location: Pennsylvania
Puma wrote:
I think it works. I usually drink it in water with something to sweeten it. I wish I could just do a shot but it burns too much.

You're not supposed to drink it straight. It can erode at your esophagus and your tooth enamel, so you're supposed to dilute it in water.

You're also supposed to get the "raw" acv- the kind that has stuff floating around in it. They refer to that as "the mother." I know Bragg's sells some like that. Supposedly "the mother" is where all the nutritional and health value is.

_________________
Music Therapy Blog
Personal Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:03 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:06 pm
Posts: 471
Location: vancouver
I've read that taking acv before food helps make you feel more sated and you end up eating less. Wonder if that's what happened with your BIL.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:09 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 443
Location: Butler PA
starrynight87 wrote:
Puma wrote:
I think it works. I usually drink it in water with something to sweeten it. I wish I could just do a shot but it burns too much.

You're not supposed to drink it straight. It can erode at your esophagus and your tooth enamel, so you're supposed to dilute it in water.

You're also supposed to get the "raw" acv- the kind that has stuff floating around in it. They refer to that as "the mother." I know Bragg's sells some like that. Supposedly "the mother" is where all the nutritional and health value is.

I only buy Braggs. I just hate spending all day drinking it, if I could just slam a shot it would be so much easier. I really like the Braggs grape juice but at $3 a bottle I just drink it as a treat when I'm in NYC. I tried to make my own but it wasn't as good and had way too much sugar.

_________________
poopiebitch wrote:
unless that vulva serves at least 50 people, I really hope that price is a joke.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:17 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup Forever
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 19
starrynight87 wrote:
Puma wrote:
I think it works. I usually drink it in water with something to sweeten it. I wish I could just do a shot but it burns too much.

You're not supposed to drink it straight. It can erode at your esophagus and your tooth enamel, so you're supposed to dilute it in water.

You're also supposed to get the "raw" acv- the kind that has stuff floating around in it. They refer to that as "the mother." I know Bragg's sells some like that. Supposedly "the mother" is where all the nutritional and health value is.


This is all true. Great answer!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:25 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:48 pm
Posts: 307
Location: Texas
coeurdartichaut wrote:
starrynight87 wrote:
Puma wrote:
I think it works. I usually drink it in water with something to sweeten it. I wish I could just do a shot but it burns too much.

You're not supposed to drink it straight. It can erode at your esophagus and your tooth enamel, so you're supposed to dilute it in water.

You're also supposed to get the "raw" acv- the kind that has stuff floating around in it. They refer to that as "the mother." I know Bragg's sells some like that. Supposedly "the mother" is where all the nutritional and health value is.


This is all true. Great answer!

One time my Heinz apple cider vinegar grew what must be a "mother." I saw it and threw that shiitake out because I didn't know what it was.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:33 pm 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:30 pm
Posts: 188
Location: Seattle
I haven't really used ACV recently, but it pretty much cured my chronic acid reflux, as far as I can tell. I drank about a tablespoon of Braggs ACV in a glass of water with a straw twice a day for a couple of months, and POOF!, no more reflux. It was enough that I could go off the medication I'd been on for several years (which never really treated the problem, just lessened the symptoms.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:06 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm
Posts: 3609
Location: NJ/Philadelphia
You can get acv pills.

http://m.vitaminshoppe.com/aHR0cDovL3d3 ... AzMQ%3D%3D

_________________
"Gnome kicking says a lot a man's character." - Babbette


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:35 pm 
Offline
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:07 pm
Posts: 1576
Location: Watertown, MA
ACV is the best. I like it mixed with some cranberry juice. When I was drinking it regularly I had more energy, was happier and was noticing that I was losing weight easier.

_________________
blog! twitter! facebook! etsy!
xgfx - Review Squadron Team!
My vulva serves at least 50 people, if you know what I'm sayin'. - just mumbles
The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:03 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2832
Location: Boston, MA
holy shiitake, I just saw the Bragg's drinks at Whole Foods for the first time and bought two (of the non-honey ones) because they were on sale 2/$4. The Ginger one was sooo good. I wish I could afford to drink one everyday. Sweetened with Stevia, too. They didn't have the grape one, though, too bad.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:54 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:24 pm
Posts: 390
Location: Vancouver
It's also great for treating and preventing yeast infection.
You can dilute it in your bath and put it on your hoo-haa if you already have one, but dilute that shiitake. Seriously.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:41 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 443
Location: Butler PA
Quarantined wrote:
holy shiitake, I just saw the Bragg's drinks at Whole Foods for the first time and bought two (of the non-honey ones) because they were on sale 2/$4. The Ginger one was sooo good. I wish I could afford to drink one everyday. Sweetened with Stevia, too. They didn't have the grape one, though, too bad.

The grape one is in the aisle with the vinegars not in the drink cooler.

_________________
poopiebitch wrote:
unless that vulva serves at least 50 people, I really hope that price is a joke.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 pm 
Offline
Ate all the pumpkin seeds
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:25 pm
Posts: 1186
Anything with a "mother" scares the shiitake out of me.

edit: any drink/liquid with a mother scares me. Sentient beings with mothers are A-okay in my opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:04 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:49 pm
Posts: 422
Location: Los Angeles
Every beverage with a mother makes me want to drink it more! Do you think it matters what time you drink it? AM/PM? Empty/Full stomach?

_________________
I've got a raging clue


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:42 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2832
Location: Boston, MA
I sucked that mother right down.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:43 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2832
Location: Boston, MA
Puma wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
holy shiitake, I just saw the Bragg's drinks at Whole Foods for the first time and bought two (of the non-honey ones) because they were on sale 2/$4. The Ginger one was sooo good. I wish I could afford to drink one everyday. Sweetened with Stevia, too. They didn't have the grape one, though, too bad.

The grape one is in the aisle with the vinegars not in the drink cooler.

awesome, thanks I'll check it out!

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:30 am 
Offline
Ate all the pumpkin seeds
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:25 pm
Posts: 1186
Quarantined wrote:
I sucked that mother right down.

The mother is drinkable?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:43 am 
Offline
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:02 pm
Posts: 1801
Adah wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
I sucked that mother right down.

The mother is drinkable?!

I've always drank it.

I used to do a shot every morning followed by a large glass of water. I should start doing that again.

_________________
"I would love to be president of the United States. It's been my dream ever since I discovered what power was." ~ RandiJM, age 11-ish


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TrailMix and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer