| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:23 pm 
Semen Strong

My BIL and SIL swear by apple cider vinegar. My BIL gradually lost most of his belly and got to an idea weight within a year (he wasn't very overweight to start) and thinks he has a ton more energy than he used to. My SIL does it, but doesn't feel as much of a benefit.

I just had 2 Tbsps in my water kefir and it tasted really nice - like a citrusy kick.

Anyone have any idea if ACV is good for you, bad for you or indifferent? The only con I know off, is you're not supposed to brush your teeth immediately after drinking vinegar or citrusy drinks because they erode enamel.

Post subject: Re: Apple Cider Vinegar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:50 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I think it works. I usually drink it in water with something to sweeten it. I wish I could just do a shot but it burns too much.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:58 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

your brother in law got to his ideal weight by drinking apple cider vinegar? I know people swear by it, and I believe that it makes people feel better, but I can't imagine it could have THAT much of an effect. I sort of chalk it up to being one of those harmless yet basically ineffective things. I know people who swear it by it, but it seems very placebo-ish to me.

i just found this http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar it's probably been linked to on the boards before, but i just saw it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:44 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I had a doctor tell me it's good for chronic heartburn, but I'm still a little scared to try it because I always hated vinegar. I don't even like salad dressing.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:38 am 
Nailed to the V

I bought some of the good kind and tried drinking it mixed in with a little bit of water. I only lasted a week, I forgot and when I did remember I worried about its damage on my teeth. I can't say it helped because I never gave it much of a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:02 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

It really helps unblock my sinuses when I make it in a hot drink and it eases my upset tummy. I don't think it's a wonder food but it does have it's uses. I only drink it through a straw because if what it'll do to your teef.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:19 pm 

kilgore trout wrote:
I had a doctor tell me it's good for chronic heartburn, but I'm still a little scared to try it because I always hated vinegar. I don't even like salad dressing.

I know 'regular' vinegar works! A shot makes the worst heart burn go away asap! I was terrified it would make it worse but it doesn't!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:29 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I don't know of any pros or cons healthwise, but I like to add it to much of my cooking.
Tofulish wrote:
The only con I know off, is you're not supposed to brush your teeth immediately after drinking vinegar or citrusy drinks because they erode enamel.

This goes for anything acidic - soda pop, sports drinks are especially bad. They soften your tooth enamel, and brushing within 1 hour of consuming damages the enamel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Puma wrote:
I think it works. I usually drink it in water with something to sweeten it. I wish I could just do a shot but it burns too much.

You're not supposed to drink it straight. It can erode at your esophagus and your tooth enamel, so you're supposed to dilute it in water.

You're also supposed to get the "raw" acv- the kind that has stuff floating around in it. They refer to that as "the mother." I know Bragg's sells some like that. Supposedly "the mother" is where all the nutritional and health value is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've read that taking acv before food helps make you feel more sated and you end up eating less. Wonder if that's what happened with your BIL.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:09 pm 

starrynight87 wrote:
Puma wrote:

You're not supposed to drink it straight. It can erode at your esophagus and your tooth enamel, so you're supposed to dilute it in water.

You're also supposed to get the "raw" acv- the kind that has stuff floating around in it. They refer to that as "the mother." I know Bragg's sells some like that. Supposedly "the mother" is where all the nutritional and health value is.

I only buy Braggs. I just hate spending all day drinking it, if I could just slam a shot it would be so much easier. I really like the Braggs grape juice but at $3 a bottle I just drink it as a treat when I'm in NYC. I tried to make my own but it wasn't as good and had way too much sugar.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:17 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

starrynight87 wrote:
Puma wrote:

This is all true. Great answer!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

coeurdartichaut wrote:
starrynight87 wrote:
Puma wrote:

This is all true. Great answer!

One time my Heinz apple cider vinegar grew what must be a "mother." I saw it and threw that shiitake out because I didn't know what it was.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:33 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I haven't really used ACV recently, but it pretty much cured my chronic acid reflux, as far as I can tell. I drank about a tablespoon of Braggs ACV in a glass of water with a straw twice a day for a couple of months, and POOF!, no more reflux. It was enough that I could go off the medication I'd been on for several years (which never really treated the problem, just lessened the symptoms.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You can get acv pills.

http://m.vitaminshoppe.com/aHR0cDovL3d3 ... AzMQ%3D%3D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:35 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

ACV is the best. I like it mixed with some cranberry juice. When I was drinking it regularly I had more energy, was happier and was noticing that I was losing weight easier.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:03 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

holy shiitake, I just saw the Bragg's drinks at Whole Foods for the first time and bought two (of the non-honey ones) because they were on sale 2/$4. The Ginger one was sooo good. I wish I could afford to drink one everyday. Sweetened with Stevia, too. They didn't have the grape one, though, too bad.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:54 pm 

It's also great for treating and preventing yeast infection.
You can dilute it in your bath and put it on your hoo-haa if you already have one, but dilute that shiitake. Seriously.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:41 pm 

Quarantined wrote:
holy shiitake, I just saw the Bragg's drinks at Whole Foods for the first time and bought two (of the non-honey ones) because they were on sale 2/$4. The Ginger one was sooo good. I wish I could afford to drink one everyday. Sweetened with Stevia, too. They didn't have the grape one, though, too bad.

The grape one is in the aisle with the vinegars not in the drink cooler.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Anything with a "mother" scares the shiitake out of me.

edit: any drink/liquid with a mother scares me. Sentient beings with mothers are A-okay in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:04 am 

Every beverage with a mother makes me want to drink it more! Do you think it matters what time you drink it? AM/PM? Empty/Full stomach?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:42 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I sucked that mother right down.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:43 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Puma wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

The grape one is in the aisle with the vinegars not in the drink cooler.

awesome, thanks I'll check it out!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:30 am 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Quarantined wrote:

The mother is drinkable?!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:43 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Adah wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

The mother is drinkable?!

I've always drank it.

I used to do a shot every morning followed by a large glass of water. I should start doing that again.