| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coming Back to Veganism!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:44 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

It's been a LONG time since I've been here! I returned to an omnivorous diet over the course of my eating disorder recovery to make sure that I can really trust myself to make changes in my diet without linking them to weight control/restriction. I started a thread about it awhile back and a lot of you were really great about supporting me :)

I have since recovered and am starting to feel ready to transition back to veganism. Do you guys have any staple foods or meals that you consider well rounded (hit lots of food groups, nutritious, etc.)? My old meal plans are starting to look a little sparse and I'm compiling a list of a few things to have on hand at all times.

p.s. excited to be back!

Post subject: Re: Coming Back to Veganism!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hi, theCookieDoe! I remember you! Glad you're back! You used to have your location visible with your avatar, right? I just ask because (I think) I remember that you are one province over from me.

If I am right, just be super-duper gentle with yourself, because you have it wicked rough living in Canada in a prairie province-it's a vegan drought, I know-I speak from experience! Just do what you can, one day at a time.Meal-wise, I think you might do best keeping it basic with easily accessible food items. One meal I like is a lentil sauce on pasta , with veggies on the side. Easy-peasy. Pizzas are good grilled this time of year. Well, I'm sure people will have other good ideas-take 'er easy! Hope you stay around and feel welcomed!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:01 pm 
Crazy bat lady

Welcome back! I make lots of "bowl" type meals--grain/veggies/protein (usually beans)/sauce. It's an easy template to mix & match, and you can have lots of variety.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:27 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I second bowls. Easy to put together, easy to hit each food group, can be totally flexible depending on what's in your fridge...I like to start with brown rice or quinoa (though you can also do millet or barley or noodles...I've also used roasted potatoes as a base), add some beans or tofu or tempeh (or seitan, I just can't eat seitan), whatever veggies I have around, either stir fried or roasted, and then top with peanut sauce, tahini sauce, salsa, or just a drizzle of olive oil and lemon. I think avocado is always a good addition on top and adds awesome healthy fats.

Welcome back! I don't know if I posted in your last thread but I definitely remember reading it and I'm proud of you, by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:15 am 

Lots of awesome ideas, you guys are great! I'll try making some bowls this week

and 1strangegirlbygolly!, I'm in Ontario. Not TOO bad for vegans

Thanks everyone :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:05 am 
Chard Martyr

Congratulations on your recovery! Dude, I've been there, and it is not easy! So happy you came out on top.

Bowls are a great idea, as are cook-ahead meals you can portion (if you like) and freeze, such as enchiladas, lasagna, etc. Lately I've been really into making muffins (Vegan Brunch has the best recipes!) for times when I need something quick to grab at work but don't have much time to eat. I pretty much always have tofu marinating for quick use in bowls, salads, sandwiches and wraps, etc... This recipe is closest to how I do it: http://www.everydaydish.tv/recipe/breast-tofu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:49 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I keep black beans with red and black lentils in a tomato paste and taco seasoning sauce in the fridge for constant snacking or part of an easy meal. Make them into burritos or sloppy joes and serve some veg on the side. I've fallen in love with Isa's beet burgers (I make the burger mix and leave it in a bag in my fridge - just form a patty when I want one) with seitan bacon added on top for an extra delicious and protein umph. If you like and can afford the yves stuff you can use that instead of making your own (I miss it terribly, it was delicious). Again, just serve some veg on the side. An indian meal is usually filling and well-rounded; palak, dahl, and aloo gobi matar is usually what I do. It also holds up pretty well in the fridge.

As far as take-along meals I'm pretty simple - soups (lentil or ramen-like), wraps, and fruits.

I usually try to have one sweet thing I can snack on laying around. cookies, cake, banana bread, muffins... just so if I get the urge for a sweet I don't have to resort to drinking maple syrup or eating an entire bowl of cookie dough.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yay theCookieDoe! Well done!

As well as everything else that has been mentioned, soups can be good, though I wouldn't want to eat them for every single meal. You can make beans a feature of the soup or can cook red lentils for a long time (40 mins to an hour I think) to make a nice broth for vegetable soup. Use a good variety of vegetables and eat with nice (maybe wholemeal) bread, or add barley, rice, noodles or pasta shapes to the soup. You can drizzle a cold oil, such as hempseed oil, pumpkin seed oil or walnut oil, onto each bowlful to get healthy fats- some soups are good if you start by frying onions or leeks in oil too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:20 pm 

These ideas are reminding me how good vegan food can be! Can't wait to try you soup suggestions, GreenDuck, and I'm going to start incorporating more beans into my diet