| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: The (bisque about your) eczema thread!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:03 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Butternut wrote:
So after lots of yucky google image searches I've decided the red itchy inflamed area on my eyelid and elbow crease is eczema. I've never had it before. Why now? I think it's the humidity and sweat from living with no AC all summer. Could be stress. Sigh.

Those are the same sorts of spots where I get it, though mine comes in the dead of winter because of artificial heat and dry air. Or if I go away and am exposed to saltwater and wear sunscreen. Or because my pillowcase was too scratchy on my skin. Or because Wednesday.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:31 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

My apologies in advance for what might be the exact same advice someone has already given. I saw the thread title and wanted to tell you what worked for my kids, in case it can bring someone some relief. I followed my pediatrician's advice and combined a blob of Aquaphor (the super expensive Vaseline, basically; about 2 tbsp??) with a dollop (a teaspoon or so?) of 2% hydrocortisone. I would lube my boys up really good with it after their baths, then dress them in long cotton pajamas and cover their feet with socks. In the morning, no eczema. I don't know why, but it has to be Aquaphor, not Vaseline or anything else. My pedi said kids with really bad eczema can spend 3 days in a hospital being basically covered in a layer of this concoction and wrapped in Saran Wrap, essentially, and it seems to cure them, but she told me to not "wrap" my kids in anything non-breathable because it allows too much of the steroid to be absorbed into the skin.

Anyhoo, just adding my 2 cents, hoping it lets someone get a good night sleep. I know how miserable it can be.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:50 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Can we go back to the eyelid (and under eye) eczema for a minute? Bain of my existence. I've had eczema my whole life, formerly exacerbated by a dairy allergy. I didn't have a problem for many many years after going vegan but in the last couple of years it has flared up and two years ago the eyelid eczema started. You can't use cortisone because it causes glaucoma. The only thing I've tried that kept it in check, but didn't make it go away was coconut oil. I'm rather willing to try just about anything if there are suggestions out there. It's starting up behind my ears again too which I haven't had since I was a kid but I'll try cortisone there first.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:51 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I had eczema years ago, and once it was diagnosed it went away with hydrocortisone and really good, emollient lotion. For the past 6 weeks or so I have been suffering from the worst itchy rash ever. I've been to the Dr. twice. It started on my shins, red itchy bumps that appeared to be eczema, but the hydrocortisone had no effect. Then it spread to the backs of my hands, which sucks because as a nurse I wash my hands a bazillion times a day and use hand sanitizer, so my poor hands hated me even more than usual. I went to the Dr. two weeks ago, and they prescribed me a betamethasone steroid cream to be applied 2x/day. It made the rash look better but did nothing for the itching. I went back to the Dr. this morning because now I'm itchy on my elbows, forearms, upper arms, and shoulders and I can't stand it anymore. The bumps on my arms look more like hives than eczema. The Dr. today was pretty rude and told me she couldn't do anything. She suggested I take Benadryl at bedtime, Claritin during the day, and Zantac as well (apparently it has antihistamine properties?). She also believes it is some form of a food allergy, which has me anxious. I have no other symptoms, no GI discomfort or distress. I have no known allergies, medicinal or otherwise. I'm relatively healthy. I am under a lot of stress (working full-time, going to school full-time for my Bachelor's in Nursing), so I seem to think stress is the causative agent here, not food. I do enjoy my share of vegan junk food (mmm, Amy's mac & cheez, Boca chick'n burgers, Flatbread Vegan Harvest Pizza…) but have been trying to eat more whole foods and veggies lately.

I see a dermatologist in a month's time. I'm just here to bisque about looking like a red, itchy, rashy monster. If anyone has any thoughts or advice they think would help, I'd love to hear it!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:57 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I don't want to jinx it, but for the last couple of weeks I've been using jojoba oil on my eyelids and it seems to be working. The real test will be when the heat goes on, in NYC, home of the driest apartments in the world.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5