| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: the eternal acne struggle
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:16 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My period got more bearable around the time my skin started getting worse. I never thought about that. Hormones, you sneaky mustards.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:24 am 
Seagull of the PPK

So, then, I have to ask. What's the takeaway about hormones? My (ex)derm always would say "oh, hormones" and then just try to talk me into accutane, not about what exactly hormones meant to my skin. Is it simply a matter of going on HBC, or what? I'll tell you, I'm considering it even though HBC was not good for me in the past, except I already have no sex drive whatsoever, which is a whole other problem, but am considering doing SOMETHING, anything. But am afraid of screwing up everything. Am considering a trip to the Dr but not sure which one to go to- the derm, the GP, the gyn?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:17 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

torque wrote:
So, then, I have to ask. What's the takeaway about hormones? My (ex)derm always would say "oh, hormones" and then just try to talk me into accutane, not about what exactly hormones meant to my skin. Is it simply a matter of going on HBC, or what? I'll tell you, I'm considering it even though HBC was not good for me in the past, except I already have no sex drive whatsoever, which is a whole other problem, but am considering doing SOMETHING, anything. But am afraid of screwing up everything. Am considering a trip to the Dr but not sure which one to go to- the derm, the GP, the gyn?

I think the takeaway is that hormonal BC can definitely help, but you have to find the right one. I have never been entirely sure of the connection for myself, but I know that many others have. I take Ortho Novum 1/35 and i'm not sure if it keeps my skin clear or if it's other factors entirely, because I've never seen a really clear connection.

I know that's not very helpful, but it is really very individual. i would see your GP and ask about getting on BC for acne and see what they say. If they feel it's better to refer you to a Gyn they may do so, but they should be able to recommend some pills to try at least.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:21 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i've had lighter/shorter periods for 8+ years, and no difference in my skin. 33 years old and i look like a kid.

i guess i do notice better skin (among other good things) when i drink my water. (i forget to drink enough on a regular enough basis that i've resigned myself to bad skin. i'm so lazy! why don't i drink enough water?)

i have a really terrible habit of squeezing them. i just can't stop.

i tried OCM a few years ago, but i hated it because my washcloths never got clean, and it icked me out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My understanding is that certain hormones (androgens) contribute to oil production. When those hormones are blocked, as with certain BCP or bodily changes, acne blemishes will lessen.

I call shenanigans on the OCM and the theory behind it. I would bet that stopping a skin care program that was irritating your skin is the primary source of benefits. Putting oil on the surface of your skin cannot do anything to what is happening beneath the surface.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Thanks for feedback. I think I'm going to make a move here and see what I can come up with.

I felt like the constant washcloth massage with OCM was a big benefit, and think you've got a good point, Vantine.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

torque wrote:
Thanks for feedback. I think I'm going to make a move here and see what I can come up with.

I felt like the constant washcloth massage with OCM was a big benefit, and think you've got a good point, Vantine.

I started getting pimples in 5th grade so I'm familiar with acne. Rosacea is a mystery to me. However, a quick search indicates that exfoliation is good for it. That's basically what you are doing when you gently massage your face with a washcloth.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:36 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I don't have any tips but I can't wait for my back to be cleared so I can put tattoos on it, though this will probably take years if I am being realistic about it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:24 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Oh fupa... Don't get me started on the back!

Good news from me though, my face is really liking that alba acne product line. It really started to help when I bought their moisturizer as well as just their cleanser. I also bought their spot treater. Only thing is my neck cyst-zits are still there, but those were always the worst, and oddly enough they're the same ones from weeks ago before I bought the other two products in the line. My neck ones do always last so long, and they never want to be squeezed! Anyhow.

jaine-pie wrote:
Hey so to the people who have tried spiro... Did anyone find it made you nauseous or feel kind of weird and anxious? I'm not sure if its that or the heat but I've been feeling very light headed and nauseous lately, and my cousin had a similar experience when she took it. Trying to stick it out to see if it gets better. Its been about a week now two 25 pills a day.
Also, when I've been drinking this week (hey it was my birthday, then the fourth, then the weekend..) I've been extra sensitive and immediately passing out which doesn't usually happen. :T

Are you eating extra salt? This sounds very similar symptoms to my friend who's on this when she needs salt. You need a lot more of it than you used to. Also, you know not to eat bananas and Advil because of the potassium right? That can mess you up a bit for some reason too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:31 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

^^I was not eating any extra salt that I know of at the time, I make most of my own food and add a bit of salt in but not much. So you're saying maybe I should have had more? I also limited my potassium intake. It came to a point where I stood up and became so light headed that I almost passed out (several times). I wasnt noticing any real results with acne after about a month of taking spironolactone, so I stopped. For me the side effects were too scarey and dangerous for me to consider sticking with it.

I've noticed a huge improvement in my skin since I started using the acne.org BP! It's too good to be true! Right now I'm trying birth control, Beyaz (realllly didnt want to but...) and I'm hoping any wackiness that comes from that can be settled down with the BP.

Someone here mentioned MSM powder helped clear up their acne, I was trying this for a while and it seemed to help, but I think it made some cysts resurface after they had gone away. I read that with MSM powder it can sort of "open old wounds" so to speak. So besides the strange resurfacing of acne that was already latent, I've been mostly clear with the acne.org BP.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:45 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Well I'm glad the BP is going well, but yeah, it sounds like you weren't changing your diet enough for the Spiro. Also, taking it twice a day seems like a lot, and it does take more than a month to start seeing results. I'm surprised your doctor never told you to (drastically) increase your salt intake.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:58 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

A combo of BP, zinc supplements and argan oil has been working well for me... But this morning I did accidentally brush my teeth with the BP :/ Will my teeth be smooth and white like my face now?

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:56 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I had to practically demand spiro from my doctor, so they didn't care to inform me about risks (she seemed MUCH more concerned about me getting pregnant and the health of that than my own health.... yeah). I actually dropped it down to only one pill a day and I was still way dizzy. Ehhh. I was too freaked out to try any longer.

I take zinc but have not heard of argan oil for acne... is this topical or internal?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:23 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

It's not a treatment per se, but I'm in my late 20's and have acne and wrinkles, so I need to moisturize! I like the argan, I think it's clearning me up a bit, or at least toning my skin nicely and doesn't diminish the BP's effects. A lot of people I know with mild acne have said that it has cleared them up because it balances the skin.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:36 am 

Argan oil is topical, but you need to make sure that it's just pure oil (for example, they have some at Sally's up front and when I picked it up it had three or four ingredients), also some companies jack up the price super high. I haven't tried it myself as what i'm doing now works for me just fine, but i've heard good things about it.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:06 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Mrs badmouth is right. There is food grade Argan, which is DELICIOUS by the way. But, I use the totally pure argan from Josie Maran for my skin and hair and nails. It's $50/ bottle. But, a little goes a loooonnnnng way.

--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:11 am 

It's funny you mention Josie Maran, they're the brand I was thinking of where the price is jacked up!

http://www.stuffiputonmyself.com/2012/0 ... e-pig.html (scroll down)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:46 am 
Naked Under Apron

I bought the little $14 bottle from Josie Maran, but I only used it a few times because I felt like it was making my skin worse. That is less a reflection of the oil (so many people love it) and more evidence that my skin is a jerk. Same thing happened with jojoba oil, which people seem to love too.

I'm on day 3 of Clarisonic- so far so good! Too early to tell if it'll clear me up any, but at least it's not irritating my fairly sensitive skin or making me break out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:27 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

philosophy hope in a bottle moisturizer has been a miracle for me. i have kp on top of pretty bad hormonal acne, so i really wanted something with salicylic acid in it and was excited to find this, but my hopes still weren't all that high when i started using it, because every moisturizer i'd ever tried had made me break out. i cut it half and half with aloe gel to thin it, and it has been face magic. i used to be all splotchy and blotchy and bumpy, but now i wake up in the morning and my face is all the same, normal, skin-toned color (i found freckles that i'd never seen before because the skin under/around them had always been so inflamed) and it's completely smooth to the touch. the moisturizer is totally nongreasy and absorbs in seconds, and it seems to control my oil production really well, which is something i hadn't though was possible. i have a lot of acne scars, which i'm addressing, but my breakouts are way, way down, usually happening only around my period or if i fall off the skincare wagon. i switched to lush herbalism (a.m.) and fresh farmacy (p.m.) around the time when i first started using hope in a bottle (between january and march of this year), and i started doing bi-weekly mild chemical peels (also philosophy), but i think the moisturizer is the real winner, because my skin starts to fuss if i skip it for a few days because it's hot or i'm lazy or whatever. it felt like a lot of money up front, but i'm six or so months in and only halfway through the 2 oz. bottle. if i could find sunscreen that suited my skin this well, my face would probably be 100% fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:09 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I use mineral foundation that's marked SPF 15 since most sunscreens break me out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:59 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

there's a daily deal today that's $50 for a 50 ml bottle of argan oil, and a 50 ml bottle of your chice of hazelnut oil, primrose oil or almond oil, and a 5 ml bottle of some rejuvenating oil. is that a good price? http://greenboxtop.com/national

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:52 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm pretty happy with my jojoba but maybe someday when I have a jerb and some extra money I'll try argan, as well. Knocking on wood but jojoba + acne.org BP = happy skin for me.

As far as sunscreens go, I'm checking/writing to the CeraVe company to see if their facial moisturizer is vegan. It's spf 30+ and it never broke me out (everything. does.) It looks clean but not sure about the source of the glycerine. Does anyone know about CeraVe here? They don't test but not sure of their vegan-ness

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:44 am 
Seagull of the PPK

My skin was doing really well for a while but then it was sunny, and so i was wearing sunscreen, and now my skin is a forking disaster. I am so, so so ready for this shiitake to end. haven't gone to the doctor because, thinking a bit more, i just don't think i can stomach going back on birth control.

(trying to save money i didn't go for an extraction facial since maybe April or May. [usually i do it every other month]. the difference is remarkable, i'll go next week.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:14 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I started the acne.org regimen a few weeks ago. I'm with jaine-pie that the jojoba + acne.org = happy skin. The first two weeks were pretty miserable with flaking and burning and my face looking like sandpaper, but I seemed to have made it past that and now aside from a few pimples here and there my skin looks great. I also started bc a few months ago, so that might have helped some, but it didn't really clear up until the acne.org

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:19 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

My face is so bad right now. I'm blaming hormones. My period is two weeks late (I took a test, not preggers). Gahhhh I just want to get my period and for my face to stop looking polka dotted.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next