| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i think i kicked the coffee demon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:47 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i have a really bad coffee habit. i LOVE coffee. mmmm so delicious.

my husband and i are trying to start a family and apparently large amounts of caffeine are bad for babies :-P
so i actually wanted to wean myself completely off of coffee because id rather just not take the chance, plus i think the ok limit for pregnant ladies is something ridiculously small like 8 oz.

apparently also people like myself with rampant anxiety problems and cycles of insomnia also shouldn't be caffeine hounds :-P

i quit coffee once before while doing a cleanse and im kind of surprised i lived through it without stabbing people. i had massive migraines. i drank peppermint tea as a replacement to the point where the very idea of peppermint tea makes me VERY ANGRY.

so this time i sort of slowly weaned off it. i am not actually pregnant (that i know of) so i took my time and figured if i found out i was pregnant i could go cold turkey from wherever i was. well i haven't had any coffee in i think 3-4 days.

no massive migraines this time but i do feel kind of bleh. ive had a dull headache for a few days but nothing horrible. ive also felt mildly ill. kinda nauseous and my throat is a tiny bit sore. have no idea if those things are because of the lack of coffee or what. im also sleepy but i was told once i am free of caffeine i will have more energy since i wont be dependent upon artificial ups and downs.

HUZZAH! I DID IT! TAKE THAT COFFEE "MAN"

i think i might need more goddamned peppermint tea.......

Post subject: Re: i think i kicked the coffee demon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:13 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Go you!!! I got some decaff coffee that you make in a cafitiere and it tastes nearly like the real thing. If I have it first thing in the morning before I wake up I am completely conned and it wakes me up a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:38 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i may try some decaf just bcause i honestly love the taste of coffee and find it very comforting. plus i have like three things of organic french vanilla soy creamer in my fridge that will go to waste!!!

i know decaf still has some caffeine in it and also other stimulants but im guessing it's fine during pregnancy.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:50 pm 

I'm sure it is. I haven't ever seen anything saying limit the decaff. I broke my coffee pot so I am missing the smell around the house something wicked.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:33 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i wonder when the headache will go away :-(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:47 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Hey, that demon is my friend!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:48 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:50 pm 

Also if you want a good way to wake yourself up in the morning thats not coffee just dice up a jalapeno and then put your contacts in. That woke me up amazingly well. I think I need to invent an alarm clock that when you hit snooze it pepper sprays ya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Adam Crisis wrote:

YES!!! back off demon!!!! BE GONE YE VILE DEMON!!!

actually i friggin love coffee and i dont WANT to give it up but apparently people dont approve of caffeine babies!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:30 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

You could have some green tea to help with the weaning/headaches. Its a small amt of caff and will help without being in the additive realm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:57 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I quit coffee for tea, which has less caffeine, but is definitely not caffeine free! I do like the light caffeine kick of maté tempered with peppermint and nettles-- lots of flavor, less caffeine, but enough to get going! There are some interesting smoked chinese teas that might satiate your desire for the complex coffee flavor, or maybe an herbal chai? Cinnamon and ginger are energizing :)

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:45 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Drinking yerba mate tea really helped me kick the habit/headaches. It's still caffeinated but depending on how strong you make it, not nearly as much so as coffee. Plus you can get it in flavors that are more coffee-ish than green tea. I used to like to mix it with chai/almond milk.

I used to drink SO MUCH coffee, I had to have my cup in the morning, and during finals at school coffee was mandatory for survival. I knew it was forking with my body so I gradually gradually drank less, and since I left school I don't drink coffee OR tea! I'm caffeine freeeeee!

It's such an addiction though, like smoking or something. I can't even smell it now without craving it!! :X And ugh fall is coming up, summer without coffee is one thing. Coffee-addict-survivors unite!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:46 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

jaine-pie wrote:
It's such an addiction though, like smoking or something. I can't even smell it now without craving it!! :X And ugh fall is coming up, summer without coffee is one thing. Coffee-addict-survivors unite!

yes this!! i mean i guess it's probably not nearly as addicitve as cigarettes but i feel like it has a similar social component. i *like* going to get coffee, i like holding it in my hand, i like coffee shops.

drrrrr....

when my sister in law returned from traveling through s. america she made some mate for my husband and i to try and i nearly vomited. sorry. it was SO STRONG. it was like the worst black coffee EVAR!!! ive never tried the stuff in a bottle here because im so scared of what she gave me. that and it's usually like $3 a bottle ;-)

i brought my soy creamer into work today i may see what we have for decaf later today.

what ive been drinking every morning is raspberry lemon natural calm in hot water. it's just a magnesium supplement. i think it's helping me with the psychological addiction of wanting something warm in my hand to drink in the morning. yesterday was my hardest day and it may have been because i had run out of the natural calm packets at work

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:56 am 

How you getting on today? x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:51 am 
Naked Under Apron

I drank decaf for years (but just recently, and unintentionally, got myself re-hooked on caffeine), but I also mixed some Teeccino in there. Have you tried that stuff? Their website is confusing me right now because they have so many new things, but I know I tried the mocha (one of the best-smelling things ever), chai, and chocolate mint. They're pretty good!

http://teeccino.com/category/11/Herbal-Coffees.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:37 am 
Kale Wreath

Congrats on giving up coffee Lisapunk! That's tough.

My stomach has been rebelling against coffee recently, so I should probably jump on this bandwagon. I don't know how to kick the weeks of spaciness and lack of focus that appears in its place though. Any advice? I feel like grad school without a stimulant beverage is pretty much impossible. I might try to take up yerba mate instead...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:54 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I unwillingly gave up coffee after visiting the Pacific North West last year. Stumptown coffee is no joke! It was so strong that it made my tummy hurt and I couldn't drink coffee after that. I had no desire for it at all. But, just recently within the past few weeks I started drinking iced coffee again. Still don't have any desire for hot though.

Giving up coffee is a bisque! I tried once before and I was a mess. bisque-y, moody, headaches, and mean.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:03 pm 

Aha...... replace the caffeine addiction with a chocolate addiction. SCORE!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:16 pm 

The other night at a coffee shop the beard dude goofed my order and made me a large soy chai instead of a latte, he asked if I wanted both and being the glutton that I am said "hell yeah" I drank em both down and then freaked out covered in sweat for 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:31 pm 

Adam Crisis wrote:
The other night at a coffee shop the beard dude goofed my order and made me a large soy chai instead of a latte, he asked if I wanted both and being the glutton that I am said "hell yeah" I drank em both down and then freaked out covered in sweat for 4 hours

That sounds like mega fun! Wonder what would happen if you had them with my guacamole?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:41 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm so glad I kicked the caffeine habit when I was pregnant because in the sleepless newborn phase, I really needed that cup of coffee to wake me up. Yay for no more tolerance!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:42 pm 

Adam Crisis wrote:

Back when I was more of a caffeine fiend than I am now, I used to get two shots of espresso in my chai. Then I just moved on to lattes with four shots. Then I realized that I was having panic attacks on a daily basis and had to drug myself to sleep. So now I just get one cup of coffee in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My future fetus is going to be a caffeine addict. SRY KID.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:45 pm 

I stopped drinking coffee right before I got pregnant because I knew I would never be able to stop at just one cup. I used to get a latte, and ask them to throw in a few more shots of espresso. I tripled the amount of concentrate to almond milk in my cup when using cold brew. Despite the fact that my face sometimes felt numb after going back to so much caffeine after trying to take a break, I couldn't stop myself.

Then, I hated the taste of everything, and by the time I wanted it again, I was afraid someone would have to peel me off the ceiling.

I have had Teecino before, too--and it is pretty decent. I'm also looking forward to chugging some delicious, delicious coffee at breakfast in just a few short months, but really--it gets easier.

You sound like you're well on your way to ditching the caffeine, though--you can do it!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:38 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

GraciaKai wrote:
I unwillingly gave up coffee after visiting the Pacific North West last year. Stumptown coffee is no joke! It was so strong that it made my tummy hurt and I couldn't drink coffee after that. I had no desire for it at all. But, just recently within the past few weeks I started drinking iced coffee again. Still don't have any desire for hot though.

stumptown is my favorite! i used to go way out of my way to get it in brooklyn, but now there's a place two blocks from me that sells the coffee and the beans. my addiction is insatiable and incurable.