| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question for glasses users!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:43 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

How often do you have to wipe off your glasses?

I am transitioning from using contacts all the time to about 50/50 contacts/glasses, and I'm remembering now why I went for contacts in the first place. I am constantly having to wipe them off! Do other people have this problem? Glasses aren't supposed to be constantly getting stuff on them, are they? They're glasses, not a windshield!

Post subject: Re: Question for glasses users!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:48 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I am wiping mine all the time, so yeah, that's normal I guess.

Tip: those microfiber cloth thingies they give you are WAY more effective and better for your glasses than wiping them with your tshirt/tablecloth/napkin. Oh and don't even think about using tissues or any type of paper towels, because that's like sand paper for glasses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Glasses ARE a windshield!

I dunno, I swipe mine with my shirt whenever they get a bit icky. It really depends on what I'm doing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Sometimes it feels like all the time, sometimes it doesn't. I think it depends a lot on what I'm doing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:59 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

They didn't give me a microfiber cloth thingy! I got one with my last pair of glasses (from like 10 years ago) but I don't have those anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:08 pm 
Huffs Nooch

You can get a little glasses cleaning kit (cloth and cleaner bottle) at most drugstores. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:12 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Don't you have a t-shirt? 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I don't wipe mine often, but they are generally filthy :/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I don't wipe mine off until they start making everything look foggy, and then I take them off and inspect them, and find that they are smudged in face oils and kind of dusty. It's pretty funny/gross. My boyfriend cleans his pretty regularly with alcohol and a microfiber cloth, before they get disgusting like mine tend to. I usually use my shirt even though I know I probably shouldn't.
I wore contacts from 7th grade until my first year of college (I'm a senior now), and I really like wearing glasses. I like being able to take them off and fall asleep whenever I want, whereas with my contacts I couldn't sleep in them and my eyes always felt dry towards the end of the night. Plus if any water got in my eyes with contacts they would shrivel up and fall out. Although I didn't have the fancy contacts that you can wear continuously, so maybe those are awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:54 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I can't stand the littlest smudge on mine - it's so annoying. I've had glasses since I was 7 and my father used to clean them for me every morning, so I was spoiled. That high standard of cleanliness stayed with me. I clean them with soap and water every morning and dry with a cotton handkerchief (I find this system way more effective than the cloth & spray they give you), and use my shirt as needed throughout the day, but I've had lenses that were unresponsive to the shirt and required extra soap cleaning during the day. Now I know that when they try to sell me the anti-glare coating to just say no!

My husband, on the other hand, makes me look at his fingerprint-ridden glasses all the time just so I'll say "How do you live like that?"

I'm a little disappointed you didn't make your question into a poll.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:28 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I'm waiting for the follow-up question: Do you have green sludge on the nose pads of your glasses? (Not currently, but just because I have plastic frames instead of wire frames currently).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:31 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I lick my glasses clean once an hour.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:54 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I clean my glasses with a microfiber cloth when they get too smudged/dirty. I should probably clean them more often. There have been times when I thought it was cloudy out, but nope, my glasses were just dirty.

I also have a sonic jewelry cleaner that does a good job of cleaning eyeglasses, but I forget to use it. I actually bought it to clean my e-cig equipment and learned that it can be used on eyeglasses too.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

mollyjade wrote:
I'm waiting for the follow-up question: Do you have green sludge on the nose pads of your glasses? (Not currently, but just because I have plastic frames instead of wire frames currently).

Oh yeah, isn't that stuff fantastic? I think it's green because of corroding metal, but man. That's some nasty stuff.

I go in with a tissue and sort of floss it out every so often.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:07 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I only wear glasses for reading, but they are constantly filthy. I wash them with washing-up liquid under a running tap (this was recommended by my optician!).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:29 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I usually just walk around with filthy glasses. I run some water over them and then wipe them with a cloth a few times a week, though. I think I've just gotten used to seeing smudges, since I've worn glasses since I was 8.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

All. The forking. Time. I've been wearing glasses since I was 18 months old, and I've never been able to keep them clean for more than a few minutes. Those microfiber cloths really are the best, but I never seem to have one with me when I need one, so I end up cleaning my glasses on my t-shirt, on scarves, even on the hem of my skirt. I was lamenting to my bf that I can't seem to keep them clean and he said, "Just make sure you don't touch the lenses". Well, duh. I don't feel like I touch the lenses all that often, but they still get smudges on them constantly. A few minutes later he leaned in to hug me and my glasses squished against my face and voila - smudgy glasses without my hands going anywhere near my lenses.

solipsistnation wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

Oh yeah, isn't that stuff fantastic? I think it's green because of corroding metal, but man. That's some nasty stuff.

I go in with a tissue and sort of floss it out every so often.

Oh, I used to love doing that! For some reason it was satisfying on the same level as squeezing a good pimple is. Now I've got plastic frames so no green sludge for me anymore.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:54 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I wipe my glasses every morning with a microfiber cloth. I keep one with me all the time too to use throughout the day, but I don't wipe them very often after the first morning cleaning. I have found that running them under the faucet is amazing, but I guess I'm too lazy to do that on a regular basis!

Do you have long eyelashes? If you do, they may be brushing on the lenses and smearing them up. Eyelashes get oily! Whenever I get a new pair I make sure my lashes have plenty of room.

Green sludge...yeah. Ick. It's probably a mixture of skin oil, dead skin cells and corrosion. I also love how the nose pads turn a nice yellow color after a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my glasses are constantly filthy.

typically i use my shirt but that usually seems to just smudge stuff around.

im pretty intolerant to contacts so i just am constantly wiping my glasses. i dont ever see other glasses wearers doing this so this thread makes me feel better about my filthy glasses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

all the forking time. and my husband well knows not to smudge them while hugging or kissing me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm so used to seeing everything through a haze of dust and smudges that I constantly forget that it's not normal and that I should clean my glasses more often. Then I go to the movies and realise that everything is glarey and annoying and I vow to be more conscious of it (but spoiler: I never do). But on those days when I do clean them properly with soap, it's like a revelation and it's the best day ever.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:53 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

i wear glasses every day and they are constantly filthy. i work with a lot of clay dust/tiny stray burlap fiber fluff/cat litter, so any day that i go to work i get covered in a nice layer of gross things. i am pretty used to it and just ignore it i guess, until i start getting really squinty and have a hard time seeing detailed things that i'm working on. i usually use my t-shirt at least once and sometimes several times a day to clean though, and after a couple of years, my glasses have the tiny scratch marks to prove it. when i do occasionally use a nice cloth or soap and water the world looks so magical and well-defined!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:16 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I always carry some biodegradable lens wipes. I clean my glasses about once a day, and usually clean my sunglasses, watch crystal, and phone screen at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:25 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

...and you use the term "watch crystal," which I cannot help but respect.

Is it polycarbonate, acrylic, synthetic sapphire, or glass?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I subtly clean my glasses with my handkerchief whenever there's something at the library that I'd rather not see with corrected vision. Rotten meth teeth alone keep my glasses sparkling.