| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Netipots
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:30 am 
Saggy Butt

Just curious if any other PPKs are netipot users. Also, does anyone know how often you should use it for preventative measures? I REALLY cannot get sick for work until after the new year (seriously, like... termination... I can't call in because of that emergency week that I was dealing with family stuff).

Post subject: Re: Netipots
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:55 am 
Be afraid... be very afraid

I use one sporadically during allergy season. I figure it can't hurt, and I like the cleansing feeling, but I can't say it's a preventative. For cold symptoms, it can be lovely as well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:07 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My boyfriend is really prone to getting conjunctivitis when he gets a cold and he swears that if the puts a couple drops of tea tree oil in his netipot when he first starts feeling cold symptoms it keeps it from happening and makes him get over his cold faster. I don't know if I would recommend it though because it burned like a mother forker when I tried it.

I usually neti a couple times a week, more if I feel like I might be getting a cold. I don't know if it prevents anything, but it definitely can help relieve symptoms.

The best method for avoiding getting sick is to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer a LOT and stay well rested and try to keep your stress low. Stress and lack of sleep are hell on your immune system.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:18 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've never used one of these before. Now I'm curious...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:29 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I don't know if it is proven to keep you from getting sick, though I have read that claim. So I went looking and it seems there may be some truth (they quote actual doctors: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/03/fashion/03skin.html

What it does for me is keep my sinuses moist - they get terribly, sometimes painfully dry in the winter and lavaging them feels so good. I don't use a Neti pot but a NeilMed sinus rinse thigny, but it works the same way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:18 am 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Has anyone had any luck with these when it comes to allergies?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have one and only use it if I get a bad head cold that stops up my nose.

Honestly one winter maybe 5 years back I tried using it every night as a preventative thing and can't say it really made much difference either way. I'm sure it does work a bit as a preventative, but I have more luck downing elderberry extract at the first signs of feeling shitty.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:13 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I use the NeilMed ones (got at my allergist a while ago). I usually use if it I feel congested or like I'm getting a sore throat. I actually think it's helped me a lot this year in preventing colds and sinus infections and the like.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:24 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I am prone to sinus infections and post-nasal drip. Using the netipot seems to have really helped with those. My throat used to always hurt when I woke up in the morning (due to post-nasal drip) and it's been fine since I started using the netipot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

adah, i have awful allergies and the neti helps. i like to do it once a day minimum ( in the shower! so easy), sometimes twice.

i also have chronic sinusitis that was just picked up on a ct scan, that i think i've had for the past year and a half or so. when it gets bad, neti-ing is the only thing that gives me any kind of relief! i use the solution called 'neil-med' (i think?), and sometimes add a few drops of an herbal tincture from my naturopath specifically made for my symptoms. both help tremendously.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:56 am 
Ignore this!

Adah wrote:
Has anyone had any luck with these when it comes to allergies?

Yes, my neti pot has helped decrease my allergy symptoms a lot. During allergy season, I use the neti once or twice a day, w/ warm tap water and table salt. I also use it if I have a cold and it helps alleviate symptoms and prevent infection by keeping the pipes clear.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:22 am 
Saggy Butt

Yeah, it can be used for preventing colds, etc... Dr. Oz was talking about it too, but I've heard it for years. Colds can be spread by air as well, not just direct contact. I've found all the benefits of netipot for cold season, but I just can't find how often I should use it.

BluePlasticStraw wrote:
I usually neti a couple times a week, more if I feel like I might be getting a cold. I don't know if it prevents anything, but it definitely can help relieve symptoms.

Doing this has not made you dependent on it? Like... Would you be fine if you didn't do it once/twice a week now? Most of the months out of the year I'm perfectly fine. But my nose does get pretty sensitive during the winter months (I usually run a humidifier so I don't get bloody noses at night). And I usually don't have bad allergies (and when I do, I just neti once a day until the symptoms are gone).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:20 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I use one at least a few times a week, and twice a day if I'm sick or particularly ragweed-y.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:59 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I love my netipot. I used to get nose bleeds because my nasal passages would dry out at night, and the netipot really helps with keeping things moist in there. Plus, I like when an occasional super dry booger that was stuck way up my nose gets washed out.

Also, since I started using the netipot I haven't gotten sick, except for one week in January that I forgot to bring the netipot with me to visit my family. I had a fever for 4 hours, and sneezed/coughed/had a runny nose for 2 days. Then I was all better by the time I got back home. I think that was more due to the fact that my toddler sister and kid brother were sick with the flu than me forgetting the netipot, though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

CNA wrote:
Plus, I like when an occasional super dry booger that was stuck way up my nose gets washed out.

Hahaha! I just busted out my neti pot today and I think I had one of those come out.

Before when I used to use it about once or twice a week I noticed a lot of perks... I didn't get sick as often as my friends (and when I did get stick my recovery time was about 1/2 of my buddies), my mornings of waking up to a dry & blood-crusted nose ceased, and my tonsil stones (http://www.tonsilstones.com/) also disappeared.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:39 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Scruffleupagus wrote:
Yeah, it can be used for preventing colds, etc... Dr. Oz was talking about it too, but I've heard it for years. Colds can be spread by air as well, not just direct contact. I've found all the benefits of netipot for cold season, but I just can't find how often I should use it.

BluePlasticStraw wrote:

Doing this has not made you dependent on it? Like... Would you be fine if you didn't do it once/twice a week now? Most of the months out of the year I'm perfectly fine. But my nose does get pretty sensitive during the winter months (I usually run a humidifier so I don't get bloody noses at night). And I usually don't have bad allergies (and when I do, I just neti once a day until the symptoms are gone).

ENT opinion in the UK is that sinus rinsing can be done twice a day without any adverse effects.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Scruffleupagus wrote:
BluePlasticStraw wrote:

I don't ever feel like I have to use it. I tend to neti less in the summer, but in the winter when the air is really dry it's nice to keep my nasal passages hydrated.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:49 am 
Saggy Butt

I just get a kick out of looking up my nose and seeing it literally spotless in there. :-p

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:34 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I love my neti pot! I have bad seasonal allergies and it does so much to relieve congestion. I use it once to twice a day during allergy season. It is supposed to help prevent colds because it not only washes bacteria out of the nose, but the salt water also kills bacteria.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:30 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Does anyone else always get water stuck in their head afterwards? Usually it'll come out with a few tilts. But one time I thought I was OK so I left the house to go somewhere and then sitting in the metro platform a bunch of water suddenly started leaking from my nose! Thank goodness I had tissues!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thessaly wrote:
Does anyone else always get water stuck in their head afterwards? Usually it'll come out with a few tilts. But one time I thought I was OK so I left the house to go somewhere and then sitting in the metro platform a bunch of water suddenly started leaking from my nose! Thank goodness I had tissues!

haha yeah, that happened to me once too, but luckily I wasn't in public. It was still pretty gross

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:42 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Thessaly wrote:

It happens to me often and I wonder if I am doing something wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:27 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm congested in the back of my throat. I can breathe through my nose (with my mouth closed) just fine, but it's like I have congestion or something in my back of my throat, so it makes my voice sound like I have a cold. Except for this annoyance, I feel fine.

Would the neti pot help with this?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:37 pm 
Huffs Nooch

During allergy season I use it frequently. Not quite daily, but almost. I should start using it again now that it's winter (here) and so dry. I'm prone to nosebleeds. My ND said there'd be no problem with daily use.

I use a few drops of bitter orange. It's antimicrobial, like tea tree oil, but not as harsh. And it smells nice! :) I've definitely noticed a drop in sinus headaches and infections, and I wish I'd had it with me this weekend when I was down in Santa Fe, where I'm allergic to everything.

Kinney, it might help a little with your throat congestion. Worth a try!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:01 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Arisaig wrote:
Thessaly wrote:

It happens to me often and I wonder if I am doing something wrong.

me too! like i'm both congested and runny, and the neti doesn't usually make me feel awesome after, and i sometimes leak after and i wonder if i'm just doing it wrong?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c