| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dairy Consumption and Eczema - Need Info
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:01 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I volunteer at a shelter and one of persons there suffers from chronic eczema. That person also consumes A LOT of dairy. I know of a lot of anecdotal evidence but I am putting the call out for some really good medical/scientific evidence before I raise the concern with staff. Can anyone help me out? Feel free to share your stories as well.

"POSI JUMP HURTS MY TITS" - Isa.

Post subject: Re: Dairy Consumption and Eczema - Need Info
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:27 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm not really convinced that dairy is a major cause of eczema as I know several vegans who have it (in some cases it's even gotten worse since going vegan). Here's a study that shows that children commonly developed eczema before exposure to cow's milk -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20422327

This one concludes that developing eczema has something to do with the amount of vitamin d in the mother during pregnancy -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19840962

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19178405
"There appears to be no benefit of an egg- and milk-free diet in unselected participants with atopic eczema...Despite their frequent use, we find little good quality evidence to support the use of exclusion diets in atopic eczema."

This one sort of implicates dairy a bit. Really not conclusively at all though -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17669319

Most of these are for early childhood eczema. I think even less is known about adult onset.

edit - here's one that does back you up though it's from 20 years ago -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2359866

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:52 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I will hold off.

"POSI JUMP HURTS MY TITS" - Isa.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:00 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

No problem. The truth is we apparently still know almost nothing about what triggers eczema (though it's more common among people with a certain genetic mutation), at least judging from this recent review of studies -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20649899

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:04 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Mine is definitely caused by heat/stress, and didn't improve or get worse since going vegan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:36 pm 
Can ride a bike, drink a Blue Sky, and eat some Stonewall's all the same time (bad ass)

I haven't had an eczema outbreak all year thank goodness. But when it was at it's worst was the first few months after switching to a vegan diet (4 yrs ago). I don't know if it's because I was introducing a lot of soy to my diet and it was a hormonal thing, but since then it hasn't been that bad and I still eat plenty of soy. I was also on birth control at the time and since getting off BC I haven't had any crazy flare ups. Last time I had a small patch form on my wrist last summer but it was heat/moisture related from gloves I was wearing, and once I stopped wearing them it cleared up. So I noticed for me, it's either hormones or heat and moisture irritation that causes it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:47 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

From what I understand, eczema triggers related to food are different for everyone. I noticed an improvement in mine when I started cutting down on dairy, but that's just me. Mine is also worse in the summer for some reason, and stress is obviously a huge trigger. I have a patch on my left palm that keeps appearing and i'm pretty sure that's from being in a constant state of mild to medium stress. But I used to get it on almost every single fingertip and my right thumb was almost always covered with a bandaid because it was just covered with blisters.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:04 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My story: I'm casein intolerant, and it used to give me an eczema-like rash. All my doctors thought I had eczema, but treatments (like the steroid creams they'd have me use, ugh) didn't help at all. Stopping dairy stopped it, and my doctors were all like "aha, so it wasn't eczema, no wonder it wouldn't respond to treatment!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:32 pm 
Can ride a bike, drink a Blue Sky, and eat some Stonewall's all the same time (bad ass)

mrsbadmouth wrote:
From what I understand, eczema triggers related to food are different for everyone. I noticed an improvement in mine when I started cutting down on dairy, but that's just me. Mine is also worse in the summer for some reason, and stress is obviously a huge trigger. I have a patch on my left palm that keeps appearing and i'm pretty sure that's from being in a constant state of mild to medium stress. But I used to get it on almost every single fingertip and my right thumb was almost always covered with a bandaid because it was just covered with blisters.

Mine was that bad on my hands too. At it's worst, I had band aids on every finger where my skin got so raw the skin would crack open at bleed at the joints. My palms too. I thought my hands would never go back to looking normal, again. It was horrible.