| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need better sleep
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:25 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

The subject line says it all. Either I don't sleep enough or my sleep isn't restful enough. I don't exactly want to sleep enough though. I only have so many hours I'm alive, right? I don't want to miss them if I don't have to. This is terrible though because I have to be up early each day for my job (very early considering my life long history of sleeping in). Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night convinced it's actually time to go to work. I'll get dressed and ready and realize before heading out to my car that I can go back to bed for 3 more hours.

Should I work on sleeping better or just say to hell with my early morning job? I probably would've made this decision already if it weren't for the fact that the recession is still on in my part of the country.

How do you get good sleep? Did you used to have poor sleep and, if so, were you able to improve it at all?

Post subject: Re: I need better sleep
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:47 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Try taking ZMA. It's just zinc magnesium and B6 but it gives you more REM sleep because it facilitates serotonin production. There's a vegan version here - http://www.amazon.com/Primaforce-ZMA-18 ... B000H7H37Y

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:52 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I have those in my multi-vitamin I take at night. Are there larger amounts than the RDA I should be getting for better sleep? I think my serotonin levels are pretty good from regular tryptophan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:01 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I used to take a multivitamin and tried tryptophan and 5-HTP (and melatonin) but the only thing that made me wake up feeling more rested is taking ZMA on an empty stomach shortly before bed. A multivitamin won't have the same effect because Calcium interferes with absorption. And you're right, the zinc and magnesium are probably in a different amounts than are in your multi. A serving of three ZMA pills (I only bother with two) has 30 mg zinc, 450 mg magnesium and 10.5 mg B6.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:06 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

It's a low calcium multivitamin for exactly that reason. Thanks for the amounts! I'll look into this and see what I can find at the store.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

melatonin puts me in a very deep sleep, but the zma looks awesome. i want to try it.

pakupaku
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:09 am 
Nailed to the V

I like teas with valerian root in them to help me sleep. Also, do you have a regular exercise routine? I generally find it easier to sleep when I'm staying active (though sometimes I start slacking because I'm too busy with other stuff).

With regards to the only so many hours to live argument, I see where you're coming from, and I'll still stand by my position that more sleep is good. I feel like when I get more sleep I enjoy the hours that I am awake a lot more, and get a lot more done in them. That's me, though, and I know a lot of people are better about functioning on less sleep than I can. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Miles introduced me to ZMA and I forking love it. I get much more restful sleep (even with crazy dreams).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:53 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Valerian root is the only thing that ever helped me.. and as an added benefit, it drives the cat crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:48 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Tofu wrote:
The subject line says it all. Either I don't sleep enough or my sleep isn't restful enough. I don't exactly want to sleep enough though. I only have so many hours I'm alive, right? I don't want to miss them if I don't have to. This is terrible though because I have to be up early each day for my job (very early considering my life long history of sleeping in). Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night convinced it's actually time to go to work. I'll get dressed and ready and realize before heading out to my car that I can go back to bed for 3 more hours.

Should I work on sleeping better or just say to hell with my early morning job? I probably would've made this decision already if it weren't for the fact that the recession is still on in my part of the country.

How do you get good sleep? Did you used to have poor sleep and, if so, were you able to improve it at all?

When you say you don't want to sleep "enough," how much are you sleeping now? There is a point where you're going to have to sleep more -- you can't cram a restful night into too small of a space. I spent a couple of years trying to convince myself that six hours was enough -- but it wasn't. Now I sleep eight hours a night and I feel much better. It is frustrating to go to bed when I'm in the middle of things I'd rather be doing, but it makes my entire life better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:43 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Realistically, I think I get between 5 and 6 hours a night. I aim for 7 to 8 but that doesn't happen. I'll toss and turn. Maybe I'll be reading or watching something I've downloaded when I don't feel like failing at trying to sleep. As for exercise, I don't have regular exercise during the winter. It's 15 below right now. The dog doesn't even want to go out for a walk.

I'm putting together a list of things for an internet order and now magnesium and zinc are on it (I already have b12 though it sits almost unused due to my high intake of nutritional yeast foods). Once I have them, I will report back!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:14 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I agree with vegimator, taking something with magnesium in it on an empty stomach does seem to help. I read about it two weeks ago and decided to give it a try, and I had the best sleep 3 nights in a row. So I started giving it to my husband, and he said it made a big difference for him too. (I had a calcium/magnesium supplement, and while they do compete for absorption, some of it will still get absorbed). Magnesium is supposed to be the anti-stress mineral.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:11 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've had trouble sleeping off and on and never had much luck bashing things into shape chemically (even with the various prescription drugs). Here's what helped me:

• Use your alarm clock: Wake up early and consistently. However tempting it may be to sleep in on weekends, try to always get up at the same time. Don't confuse your internal clock!
  • Don't nap: Even after a sleepless night, don't take naps. The longer you stay continuously awake, the more your body wants to sleep come bedtime.
  • Don't go to bed too early: After not napping during the day, I'd sometimes fall asleep in the early evening only to wake up around 10 or 11, then find myself unable to get back to sleep. Ugh. If you're finding yourself tossing and turning or waking up in the middle of the night, try going to bed a bit later. The more tired you are when you go to bed, the easier it will be to sleep through the night without incident.
  • Don't try to sleep too much: Okay, this is restating 1-3. Not everyone needs the same amount of sleep. If you only need 7 hours of sleep but insist on spending 8 hours in bed you're going to have issues. Diluting sleep with excess time in bed makes it less restful.
  • Avoid caffeine: I can get away with drinking tea in the morning but not the afternoon. Maybe you can't drink any. Try it and find out. Supposedly alcohol can be problematic too.

Basically, this all amounts to realizing that your body has powerful ways of regulating itself that can usually do the job if you let it. Another approach worth considering, though I can't vouch for it myself, is the so-called stimulus control method that tries to help habitual tossers and turners re-associate the act of going to bed with actually falling asleep.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:52 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Zinc + Magnesium = Win

I've been really busy lately and unable to report back until now. This is an awesome and simple method for great sleep. I noticed I didn't have to keep taking after about the first two weeks. Periodically I use some but it now sits on my growing shelf of rarely touched supplements. Awesome stuff! Thank you for the suggestion!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:19 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Awesome! I sleep well without it now too but I still take it fairly often just to make sure I keep sleeping well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:56 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

This stuff is so good it's probably going to become a regular holiday gift. <3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:30 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Tofu wrote:
Zinc + Magnesium = Win

I've been really busy lately and unable to report back until now. This is an awesome and simple method for great sleep. I noticed I didn't have to keep taking after about the first two weeks. Periodically I use some but it now sits on my growing shelf of rarely touched supplements. Awesome stuff! Thank you for the suggestion!

Awesome! Glad it worked for you! What mgs are the magnesium & zinc?

I'm leaving my graveyard shift (night nurse at vet clinic) of almost 5 months, one more shift and finito ....10:30pm-7am... sleep deprivation since day 1 and now high blood pressure/on meds for this. I use to sleep like a baby, fall into bed, sleep several hours - wake- check clock - back to sleep.

Now... I look at the bed like it's my enemy. Gone into work many nites on 3-5 hours sleep... just brutal!

I'd like to try the mineral combo.. anything to get back on track to sleeping at night.. in the dark.. woohoo! TIA!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:43 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I'm going to try the magnesium on an empty stomach too, I have magnesium 500 here.

Anyone thinking of trying this with a regular multivitamin should remember that some of the vitamins in your multi may need to be taken with food so it may be better to buy a separate supplement to try this with.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:51 pm 
Inflexitarian

I think I'm really going to try this. PPK is wise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:30 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Melatonin is the only thing that works for me and 95-98% of the time it works amazingly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:39 am 

I've had the magnesium the past two nights, I've also had some zoplicone because I needed to get to sleep quickly. I don't know if it's co-incidence but I've had much more restful sleep and been able to get back to sleep quickly each time I waken (which is a lot thanks to the geriatric demon cat). It's been nice because I've been loosing a lot of sleep lately with (too) early wakening.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:47 am 
Discovered unobtainium

If you have long term sleep problems and nothing is improving, look into having a sleep study done.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:06 pm 

vegimator wrote:
Try taking ZMA. It's just zinc magnesium and B6 but it gives you more REM sleep because it facilitates serotonin production. There's a vegan version here - http://www.amazon.com/Primaforce-ZMA-18 ... B000H7H37Y

I was just checking this out, is it true that it boosts testosterone? I really wouldn't want to do that (I'm sensitive to testosterone).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:09 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

fezza wrote:
vegimator wrote:

I was just checking this out, is it true that it boosts testosterone? I really wouldn't want to do that (I'm sensitive to testosterone).

Nope, that claim is bullshiitake - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term ... stosterone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:10 pm 

vegimator wrote:
fezza wrote:
vegimator wrote:

Nope, that claim is bullshiitake - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term ... stosterone

That's great, thank you!