| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dental pain relief
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:04 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Let me preface this with, yes i am trying to go to a dentist, but i have no insurance, a low-paying job where i only get paid if i work, not a lot of money. So I am working on enrolling in the state healthcare system, which does seem to cover dental stuff.

In the mean time, i am having intermittent tooth/jaw pain. I thought it was going away, then last night it flaired up and all I could do was hold an ice pack on my head, cry and hold my partner's hand. If this happens again, i need to figure out some pain relief strategies and also advice for preventing flair ups. I suspect the pain is from a cavity - I've never had one, but folks have told me they feel similar to this.
Help!

Post subject: Re: dental pain relief
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:35 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Get yourself some clove oil stat. Use a qtip and dab it on your tooth and the surrounding gum. This isn't medical advice, just something that has worked for me in the past. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:46 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Much as i am not a fan of dentists, dental pain can be serious. you could have an abscess [an infection that could spread]. believe me, i've been in your situation [no insurance, no money, and i was sexually abused by my dentist when i was a kid so you could say i REALLY am not the kind of person who enjoys going to the dentist] and i hate to say it but your pain or any potential infection may not just go away if you bear through it. i suffered through wisdom tooth impaction and infection for 10+ years and ugh.

Is there a dental school in your city? often they have clinics where the students do practicals, and you can get seen for next to nothing.
I also did a quick search for low-income dental clinic denver and got a whole bunch of stuff, including http://cdaonline.org/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=90

In the meantime, clove oil is awesome for throbbing pain, my dentist uses it when she does root canals. same with ginger- grate it up and put it directly on your tooth [not the gum]. good luck and i hope you get some relief.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:36 pm 

Thank you for the suggestion. I have ginger!

I really am working out the dentist thing, I swear.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:11 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i hope so!! big hug. if you don't have clove oil, i have also heard that biting down on a whole clove is better than nothing. and keep applying ice if it helps.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:14 pm 

proceed with caution with clove oil - clove oil has helped me before - i have tried it for canker sores - but then one time i used it (maybe i used too much?) and i felt like it caused greater irritation.

good luck. i put off the dentist with a broken tooth for so long one time that i was mouthwashing with frozen vodka to try to dull it. swallowing some helps too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:25 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

When I was a kid we didn't have ginger or clove oil or even any decent painkillers. My father used to soak a tiny cotton ball in whiskey or grappa and applied directly to the top of my hurting tooth. It gave me instant relief, but it lasted only as long as the booze did.

If you can take ibuprofen, try taking 4 of them. Sometimes it makes it a little better..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:52 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

When I had wisdom tooth pain they gave me 800 milligrams of ibuprofen every 12 hours. Plus some antiseptic mouth wash to use after all food.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:41 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

clove oil/chewing on cloves is really really really effective. I'd avoid the alcohol, it's not very good for your teeth!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:23 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

torque wrote:

Is there a dental school in your city? often they have clinics where the students do practicals, and you can get seen for next to nothing.
I also did a quick search for low-income dental clinic denver and got a whole bunch of stuff, including http://cdaonline.org/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=90

dental pain is the worse and you're going to kick yourself for waiting in pain
low-income dental clinic is the way to go. you could also go to the emergency room but your bill will be ridic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:40 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'd look for a dental school. I know here you can got NYU and have a student do the work under the supervision of the dentist/professor or whatever they are and pay a lot less.

You could also call dentists and ask what they charge. I have insurance, but no dental plan, so I have to pay for most things out of pocket. You can negotiate the price with them, just do it beforehand. One thing I do is find out what the insurance company typically pays them, and offer to pay them that. It's usually a lot lower and most dentists are ok with that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:54 am 
And you never will.

I had a broken tooth last year, and until I could scrape together enough money to get it pulled (because Lard knows I couldn't afford to get it fixed) I used some of that over-the-counter dental filler stuff. I don't remember what brand I used, but there are a couple available. It helped with the debilitating pain and stopped the "exposed nerve" feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:41 pm 

So just to reiterate, I am seeking dental care. The state indigent (hey! I'm indigent!) health care seems like the most affordable, practical route (especially if I want to avoid needlessly having teeth pulled). I have to jump through some hoops though, so I'm just figuring out pain relief in the mean time.(also, this might help me to be able to go to the doctor when I'm sick/injured in the future!)

The ginger is awesome, and I will get some clove oil. And maybe whiskey, just because.

Anyhow the pain has been better, and I thank you all for the suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My vote is for whiskey/vodka/tequila. Helps what ails me!