| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chemical/Fragrance sensitivities
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:08 pm 
Semen Strong

So I seem to have now developed a pretty strong case of chemical and fragrance sensitivities. The smell of cologne turns me lightheaded and dizzy and even the smell of my husband's laundry can make me feel ill. Last time I went to Vienna and stayed with my stepsister, I had an 8 hour long panic attack, which I was trying to sleep off, only to discover it was triggered by fabric softener. Once we rewashed the sheets, I was fine.

I know a few people on the PPK have these, and I was wondering what you do to manage them? I've mentioned it to my pulmonologist and my GP and both have been really unhelpful....
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features ... ult?page=2 o

I take Claritin and it still doesn't make it go away, which is frustrating. The antihistamine works on my seasonal allergies, but apparently not this one. I also have oral allergy syndrome, so apparently I'm just a mass of walking allergies rejecting the universe.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

Post subject: Re: Chemical/Fragrance sensitivities
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

Boo, Tofulish, that is a huge pain. I have fragrance sensitivities, but only in that they make my vulva skin all inflamed and terrible. So, it sucks when that happens but is much more controllable since airborne stuff won't affect it. Even so, its a bummer that I may never be able to do certain things again (like swim in a chlorinated pool) and I get worried about touching gross things or using hand wash outside my home since even my hands touching things that touch my tp before I go to the bathroom can sometimes be a trigger. I can't imagine trying to deal with airborn fragrances though. Sorry that's no help, but just wanted to commiserate.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:03 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I dunno how much CQ is on the ppk anymore but if you have them on facebook they might be a good person to ask since they've been dealing with what sounds like the same kind of sensitivity for ages!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:10 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Is it possible it's osmophobia and not an allergy? One of my migraine symptoms is that my sense of smell becomes hyperacute, usually couple with a strong aversion to the source (it's intermittent and not triggered by the scent though).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:46 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm super sensitive to fragrances as well, especially perfume, car scents and cigarettes. I get really nauseous and develop a migraine and get really irritated. It gets to the point that it brings anxiety up inside me as soon as I smell it or know I'm going to. I also have asthma and allergies, and I used to have to take 2-3 medications for migraines so I'm sure that all doesn't help.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:03 pm 
Taco Scientist

I just have allergic reactions when people have tons of perfume on and we are on a plane or they are in my office. I manage it by complaining a lot to my significant other. Usually it's over, though, once I can get away from it.

I read this article a few weeks ago about it and I thought it was interesting. I had no idea there wasn't any regulation is fragrances.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... ics-safety