| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dry skin & Pigment Marks?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:22 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I started noticing cuts and scabs randomely appearing on my arms for no reason at all. I went to a dermotologist. She told me it is normal for some people as they get older. Their skin starts to get dry and the dryness leads to breaks in the skin, hence the scabs.

Anyone ever been told this too?

Is a second opinion from another type of doctor worth it?

Some of the scabs resulted in pigment marks which the dermotologist said would fade in 6 months if I kept the skin shielded from the sun. It has been about 6 months, the spots are still there, though they may have faded a bit, it is hard to tell. Anyone else have these problems? How did you solve them?

Post subject: Re: Dry skin & Pigment Marks?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Without being able to see you, obviously take anything I say with a grain of salt, but did your dermatologist do any testing to be sure that it's just because of aging and not because of a hormonal imbalance or other process?

Hyperpigmentation, especially if seen in "body folds" like your armpits, etc. and dry skin can be caused by insulin resistance and thyroid problems, so before I'd just ignore it chalk it up as a normal part of aging, I'd probably want some blood tests done just to rule out some other common causes of these problems. But yeah, it absolutely could just be dry skin and a decline in skin elasticity, making it easier for cuts and tears to occur in the skin. Have you noticed any sort of relief from skin creams?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:22 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I also was reading about vitamin D deficiency tonight and this came up as potential symptom (which can also be apart of thyroid disease) I'd get the blood tests including getting your D checked.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:25 am 
Tofu Pup

It might seem scary to apply a pure oil to your face, especially if you have finicky skin, but we have been doing just that and our skin is completely turning around. It's smooth, clear and radiant, all thanks to using argan oil as our daily morning moisturizer.