| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stress-induced hair loss
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:46 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Does anyone know anything about stress-induced hair loss? Specifically, what can one do to get the hair to grow back? It can grow back, right?

Post subject: Re: Stress-induced hair loss
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:53 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I either have stress induced hair loss at the moment or it's from the hormones I take (and want to change now). I have read that it can grow back but it doesnt for everyone, which freaks me out. I'm 23, I love my long hair, I'm self concious as it as and I really hate the bald spots on my head :(

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:54 pm 
WRETCHED

Are you getting spots of baldness or just general hair loss?

It can grow back but you might want to try some biotin just in case or a hair and nails formula.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:49 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I hate to recommend this because I have no idea what the fizzle is going on with the whole sold-in-China thing. It's all so confusing.

In the fall, I was having trouble with my scalp being super painful and hair loss. I think it was part stress, part anemia, and part being allergic to the shampoos I switched to after Aveda.

Anyway, the scalp benefits shampoo got rid of the soreness and I think the Invati hair thickening/growth conditioner helped a bit. At least it seemed I wasn't losing the clumps of hair I had been. I really don't know exactly what it did, but my hair looked and felt a lot better.

Increasing protein intake could also help if you aren't getting enough. When I'm stressed, I don't eat as well and end up shorting myself on protein and that ramps up hair loss.

For what it's worth, Aveda still says they don't test, but I'm not too comfortable with them right now until there is more certainty of their status, so, I don't know.

It's not cheap, but, especially with short hair, a tube of the conditioner should last a good 6 months (I have long hair and use it every other day and get that).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:03 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I'm not anemic and I eat a ton of protein, so I'm sure that's not it. What's the deal with Aveda? I definitely won't use it if it's animal tested. I'd rather have bald spots. :P

My hair has thinned quite a bit especially in the front of my head but I only just realized how bad it's gotten on top where I can't see it myself. I've kinda been in denial about it for a long time. At first I figured it was a hormone thing, but I was taking hormones wayyyyy before this started happening, and there is no history of this kind of hair loss on either side of my family. I was looking at photos of myself recently and that was when I realized that the hair loss started at the same time as a lot of my other stress-related conditions began (not to go into too much detail but let's just say some stressful events happened about 3-4 years ago :P).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Aveda says they still don't test, but they are owned by Estée Lauder and there is uncertainty about the rules for being sold in China. Basically, nobody understands anything now. Aveda has always been a cruelty free company, but I think right now it's an individual comfort level thing until we understand what the fizzle is going on. I don't know how you feel about parent company issues, so just putting that out there.

I wasn't trying to suggest you are anemic or anything, just that I'm unclear how much of my hair loss is from stress vs medical reasons. I carbload when I'm stressed though, so it's good you are still eating properly. I make stress worse on myself by eating like crepe.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:15 pm 
WRETCHED

I lost hair from stress when I was a teenager but it bald spots and not thinning. It came back later though. I think there are a variety of shampoos on the market that are supposed to help for thinning though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:29 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

lavawitch wrote:
Aveda says they still don't test, but they are owned by Estée Lauder and there is uncertainty about the rules for being sold in China. Basically, nobody understands anything now. Aveda has always been a cruelty free company, but I think right now it's an individual comfort level thing until we understand what the fizzle is going on. I don't know how you feel about parent company issues, so just putting that out there.

I wasn't trying to suggest you are anemic or anything, just that I'm unclear how much of my hair loss is from stress vs medical reasons. I carbload when I'm stressed though, so it's good you are still eating properly. I make stress worse on myself by eating like crepe.

Oh yeah no, I didn't think you were trying to diagnose me or anything ;-) It was a totally valid suggestion, just happens not to be what's up. I appreciate the advice!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:42 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

How about a new haircut? I know that doesn't help the problem, but it can help make you feel better if your current hair looks the best it can, and then try one of the shampoos. (my stylist at the Aveda salon said that if you only buy one item, the Invati conditioner would be more beneficial an the shampoo, in her experience. No idea if that would hold true for other brands.)

This is actually what prompted me to go get my hair cut and colored a deep red at Christmas time. The hair loss was just getting so depressing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:59 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I've been cutting my own hair for so long...I'm kinda afraid to let anyone else do it. I definitely can't afford to get haircuts on a regular basis so it feels like kind of a waste to go get one haircut, since my hair is short and it'll just grow out in a couple weeks. I did ask around a few months ago to see if anyone was willing or knew anyone willing to do haircuts for barter but nobody was. But it is a really good idea. Maybe I will ask around again. I can't go to a salon because I get sick from the chemicals.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I can't really afford to get mine done regularly either. Usually I go 1-2x a year. It feels fabulous while it lasts though so I think it's worth it since it usually gives me a kick in the asparagus out of a bad mental space. When I go to the under $50 places, I end up with bad cuts, crookedness or other crepe. Not worth it, so I just wait to go when I feel like total crepe and need the boost.

There are some natural salons/spas around that don't use chemicals, but they might be hideously expensive. Might be worth looking into though. I you emphasize short hair and no styling, you might get a reasonable price. My hematology office is also oncology, so they have a lot of flyers up for those sorts of things.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:59 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'm seconding the biotin. I take it regularly (every other day or so) and my hair and nails grow really fast. It's cheap, so maybe worth a shot?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:49 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I had issues with hair not growing while I was under an incredible amount of stress. I had no way of decreasing this stress since none of it was caused by me so I all I could do was deal with the symptoms. Someone recommended taking silica complex and it definitely helped. My hair now grows on the side of the head that it wasn't growing. Now it isn't the same as your problem but the silica might help you too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:37 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Check your iodine intake, as well. Lots of vegans (and others) seem to be low in it, and it seems to result in hair loss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:15 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm not sure whether or not I'm losing hair. It certainly looks like more is coming out in my brush, but I don't have any bald spots. I have been super-stressed though and my diet is shitty due to a lack of cash and a tempermental appetite.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

You take hormones, right? As male (and female!) hair loss often is tied to the male hormones, it could definitely have something to do with hormones.
If it's related to stress, meditation might help?

I used to date a dude who had a pretty big bald spot on top of his head. He solved the problem by wearing a hat. No matter what the cause is, I'd find an awesome hat and make that your thing. Especially if it makes you self-conscious.
You would look great with a hat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:15 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I was taking hormones way before the hair loss started and it's genetically unlikely that I would have hormonal hair loss.
I actually do not look great with a hat. I have purple hair! I wear hats as rarely as possible! Hats make me look like I'm going bald and trying to hide it. :P I only wear a hat if it's really cold or if my hair is really looking terrible.
But thanks :)