| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: verruca
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:02 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I think I may have a verruca on my foot just below my little toe. I've had it months now. When I first noticed it I showed it to an assistant in the chemist & she said it wasn't a verruca so I've just left it.
However, I showed it to the doctor yesterday. He glanced at my foot for a second & said it looks like it is probably a verruca. I don't feel very confident in either diagnosis...
It can be painful when I walk/run on it & it sometimes bleeds.
Anyone got any advice please? What should I do to treat it? I've never had one before so I'm a bit at a loss...

Post subject: Re: verruca
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:10 am 
Seagull of the PPK

there are all sorts of home remedies that don't work. a dermatologist or maybe even general practitioner can freeze it/cut it off and get rid of it for good. i get them and they can be really painful. did the doctor propose doing anything to it?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:29 am 

No. He just said you can get stuff from the chemist.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:40 am 
Seagull of the PPK

hm. maybe you guys get stronger stuff over there but the "freeze it yourself" kit kind of thing that i've tried didn't work. can you get to see a podiatrist, perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:35 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

So Google tells me that verrucas are the same thing as plantar warts, which I struggled with for years as a pre-teen and teenager. They can grow very large and become little colonies and be very painful difficult to get rid of. No home remedies ever worked for me. I ended up having them frozen off by my doctor with liquid nitrogen. It's really, really painful, since it tends to spread a bit to healthy skin on the sole, and it's hard to walk for a few days. Some had to be frozen repeatedly so (gross alert, sorry) I ended up cutting them out myself. I am terrified of ever getting one again.

I would totally go see the podiatrist! They might be able to surgically remove it while it's small and make it less of a continuing ordeal for you.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:22 pm 

Thanx guys. I got myself some bazuka treatment gel today & I'll try that first. I saw a "freeze it off yourself" kit but I'm such a wimp I just don't think I could do it.
If the bazuka stuff doesn't work I'll go back to the doctors.
Ugghhhh, I just want it to go away!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:56 am 
Naked Under Apron

This is going to sound like spectacular woo nonsense and if I hadn't done it myself I wouldn't have thought it would work.

I had a verruca on my big toe that had been there for years (like 5 or 6), I had tried treating it with freezing stuff and gel and nothing worked and then I read that Apple Cider Vinegar can treat them. Basically you dip some cotton wool in ACV, and then use a plaster to tape it over the verruca at night. Take it off in the morning and let it breathe during the day then repeat. Skeptical but willing to try anything I gave it a go and I shiitake you not, it was gone in 4 days.

Mat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:26 pm 

Thanks for that. I think I'll try this if it worked for you. I'm still not convinced that it is a verruca but it is so difficult to see because of where it is. The bazuka stuff doesn't seem to be making much difference to be honest.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:16 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I've used duct tape on warts before! So weird, but medicines weren't working and i didn't want to get it frozen off. I wrapped it in a new piece of duct tape every day for a week and it went away! it came back a little while later and i duct tapped it again and it was gone for good.