| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Needing glasses vs. eyestrain
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:45 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

This may sound like a stupid question, but how do you know when you need glasses?

I've never worn corrective lenses in my life and have always had excellent vision test results at the eye doctor. Recently (like over the last month or so) I've noticed a certain cloudiness in my vision... does this mean I that I finally need reading glasses? Or could that just be a symptom of temporary eye strain? Recently I've been reading a lot of really small printed text and of course also using the computer. Aside from the cloudiness my eyes also feel sort of tired, but I'm not getting headaches as a symptom of this. I know the obvious answer is "go to an eye doctor" but I can't really afford to at the moment. Anyone have experience with this?

Post subject: Re: Needing glasses vs. eyestrain
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:53 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Print out an eye chart and give yourself an exam-- that'll give you an idea of what's going on.

http://www.i-see.org/eyecharts.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:53 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

When was the last time you visited the eye doctor? If it's been more than a year, your vision could have changed regardless of prior excellent test results.

And bollocks to health care being so damned expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:59 pm 

Something similar happened to me (except I was having headaches too), and when I went to the optometrist, she could find nothing wrong with my vision, but suggested that I get some really really weak reading glasses for computer work to help reduce eyestrain. It does seem to help.

Are you a Costco member (and in the US), by any chance? They have optometrists there, and it's relatively cheap for an exam. Bought the actual glasses on Zenni optical since it's way cheaper than any brick and mortar store and I wasn't sure if I was actually going to wear the glasses, so didn't want to spend much money on them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:10 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

When I was working for an electronics store, I had really intense headaches and I felt like I was constantly squinting and straining my eyes. I went to the eye doctor and my vision was nearly perfect, but I got some antiglare glasses with a light prescription for when I was working intensely with computers/mobile devices/reading. Based on what you said about reading small print and using the computer, it is possible it is eye strain. Maybe you could try out some of those generic cheap reading glasses that you can buy at the drugstore and see if they make any positive difference?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:17 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

For those of you who used weak reading glasses to help with eye strain, what strength did you get?

It has been a couple years since my last eye exam, so it is also possible that my vision has just changed. Alas, I don't have a Costco membership. But I suppose I can have a little fashion show of non-prescription reading glasses at the local Rite-Aid.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:30 pm 

My optometrist suggested +0.5 diopter ones, which is much weaker than anything I could find in drugstores, unfortunately (and why I went with Zenni optical).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This might not be very helpful, but are you sure you can't afford an eye exam? A basic exam (not contacts) can be as low as $50. Check around for coupons. They aren't in the same expense stratosphere as dentists and doctors.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:30 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Limone, are you a student? If you are and your school has a vision center it may be affordable (or even free?) to get an exam. I actually need to do this soon because I think I need stronger glasses.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

No, I'm not a student. Looking around for coupons/Groupons is a good idea, thanks for the suggestion lavawitch.

helbury wrote:
My optometrist suggested +0.5 diopter ones, which is much weaker than anything I could find in drugstores, unfortunately (and why I went with Zenni optical).

I had forgotten about this until just now, but your post reminded me that I went to an eye doctor inside of a Target store several years ago for a quickie eye exam so I could renew my driver's license by mail. The optometrist tried to sell me some +0.25 diopter reading glasses to help with eye strain, and at the time I thought she was just trying to sell me extra shiitake. But maybe there was actually something to that. Then again, that was 7+ years ago, and I haven't noticed any problems until recently. But apparently I'm also losing my memory.