| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sinus Surgery & Septoplasty
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:31 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've been suffering from back to back sinus infections for so long that feeling tired and sick is my normal. I went to an ENT last week and he said that I need to have sinus surgery to drain my nasal passages, septoplasty to correct a deviated septum that's blocking my airflow and possibly rhinoplasty to fix my crooked nose.

My crooked nose and deviated septum are the result of being hit by a car as a pedestrian 5-6yrs ago. While I was getting the rest of my body repaired, my nose was the least of my worries then and even now. Having a crooked nose really doesn't bother me so I'm the rhinoplasty is not happening but the sinus and septoplasty procedures might help me get back to normal.

Both the sinus and septoplasty are outpatient procedure and can be done at the same time so it seemed like a no brainer while I was in the ENT office but now that I've had a week to think and research, I just don't know what to do. The amount of horror stories posted on the internet for these procedures are endless and it ranges from recovery taking much much longer than what ENT tells you to the possibility of having ongoing issues (ie. migraines and dizziness).

I'm kind of scared, nervous, anxious about all of this so I would love to hear anybody's experience with these surgeries or just kind words.

Post subject: Re: Sinus Surgery & Septoplasty
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I had a septoplasty and 2 reconstructive rhinoplasty surgeries in....2005 and 2006 I think.

The first rhinoplasty was just to basically put my nose back in the middle of my face and pop the bone plates out from under each other. It was painful and I hated the beautiful nose cast I had to wear for a while, but it eased a lot of the pain. Then a year later I had the second set of rhinoplasty and septoplasty to finish fixing my nose. They also did something (no clue on the name) where they basically shaved some bone down since it was protruding into my sinuses and giving me a lot of problems. I healed well and the hardest things for me were that between surgeries and for 6 months or so after I could only blow my nose in the shower or with a good 10 minute steam on my face to ease the pressure and I had to support the roof of my mouth with my fingers when I sneezed to prevent anything from shifting or collapsing.

I haven't had any bad effects from it and I even broke my nose a couple of times after that and it still is okay. My injury was the result of an elbow to the face during a game of ultimate frisbee that brought 200 pounds of leaping player onto the side of my nose, in addition to a history of minor nose breaks over a lifetime of contact sports.

Let me know if you have any other questions I might have answers to, or feel free to pm me if you just want to talk it out some more ever.

Post subject: Re: Sinus Surgery & Septoplasty
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:33 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I didn't have a rhinoplasty but I had a septoplasty and a cyst removed from one of my sinuses in high school. I think it was 2002? It was totally fine. I don't remember it that well (actually I keep forgetting it happened!) but I don't really remember thinking it was a big deal at all. I had some uncomfortable packing in my nose for a day or two and had to wear this really awkward padding beneath my nose that hooked over my ears to catch the blood and discharge. It was slightly sore for a few days and having the packing removed hurt/burned briefly, but other than that it was a pretty quick recovery.