| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SAD
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So far, this year hasn't been too bad yet. I've been a little more tired than usual, but I'm not too concerned about that. I can easily sleep for 12 hours, so I try to go to bed pretty early to avoid adding on to the exhaustion by a lack of sleep. I've felt a little more emotional than usual, but that could be stress from starting a new education and being in the middle of a big move.

I turned on my SAD-lamp this morning for the first time this season today. I am going to try to use it every morning while eating breakfast - I know how much it helps with the SAD. I am also biking 40 minutes to school every morning, and 40 minutes back, so that should cover my need for exercise.
I'm taking vitamins every morning and have been really good about that for the past few months - I'm taking a multivitamin, calcium + vit D, B-complex and magnesium (for migraines!) - I'm going to start taking iron at night as well, to avoid my morning coffee from inhibiting the absorption.

I'm also being pretty good about eating healthy foods - I try to eat three full meals a day + snacks. I also try to read books more, because it's so easy to just sit and watch tv shows or surf online - I know that I feel way more productive when I'm reading than when I'm just mindlessly watching tv. I'm currently reading Emotional Intelligenge: Why It Can matter More Than IQ, which is giving me some really good ideas on how to deal with melancholia and depressive thoughts. It is pretty focused on brain chemistry and clinical experiments, and I can definitely recommend that you guys give it a read if you're into that kind of stuff. I find it helpful!

I'll keep you guys updated with how things are going! How are you all doing? Aelle, are you keeping the drinking at a good level? I have the same tendency to drink more when I'm feeling tired and down, so I'm trying not to drink every day, which is going okay.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:02 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Thanks for checking in on me Smoothie! I'm doing really good so far! I have been running outdoors 3 mornings a week for 7 weeks now (and monopolizing the C25k thread, heh), and it has been helpful beyond my expectations. I've also noticed that morning runs tend to suck if I have as little as a glass of wine the night before, so running has been very good at keeping that under control. I'm trying to keep a critical look on my running and not to set unrealistic expectations, but so far it has been really wonderful.

A SAD lamp is on my next Amazon order.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That is amazing, Aelle! I really want to start running again, but I'll have to wait until I'm past the whole stressfulness of moving and all that. It is really amazing to run, though! I am happy that it's so helpful for you!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:57 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm feeling exhausted and depressed a lot of the time right now. SAD has definitely kicked in.

I am going to quit drinking for a while, I think. I seem to get waaay too drunk when I go out and then I become depressed for days after. And I've been drinking at least 2 drinks a day for weeks if not months, and it's so unhealthy for me, both physically and mentally.
I think I am going to quit smoking as well. I really want to, but it's been hard to find the motivation. But I might as well just not drink and not smoke at the same time, right? I bet if I take up swimming or something instead I will feel a lot better in just a few weeks. But it's hard to find the motivation, you know?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:27 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Seeing this thread come back up reminded me I needed a sun lamp but they've been super pricey to me. But I checked amazon and there was one that was $40 off, bringing cost (not including taxes) to $70! That's totally doable and all the reviews look super positive. I'm really hoping this can help with the SAD because it's been infiltrating my anxiety and emotional eating which I had a handle on previously but now don't. :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:15 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

SAD really kicked in by now and I spent my Sunday afternoon in front of my 10.000 lux lamp.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:32 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Big hugs to everyone.

So far I am having a much, much better winter than last year. Running, SAD lamp (although I don't have much time to sit in front of it on weekdays), limited drinking and a stable schedule seem to really help - especially the running.

So, of course, guess who rolled her ankle this weekend? :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Noooo, that's bad news! Can you do some yoga exercises or something like that, or maybe bike a little, or is your foot really bad?

Not drinking is going pretty well. I'm definitely not in my A-game but I'm doing alright. Need to up my exercise though!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:31 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm going to rest it really well for a week, maybe 10 days, then try swimming and maybe lifting some weights while it recovers completely. It's not too too bad, but I am paranoid about making injuries worse. Unfortunately I still have to walk a lot.

Good job on the healthy drinking choices!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:21 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh, the not-drinking-thing! I usually do that but have actually gotten a couple six packs of cider recently. I have a couple more and they help me relax. I'm pretty sure I'm not seeing my SAD worsen with use, although I don't drink every day; it was mostly this weekend and I had a really nice weekend. Maybe I'll try not-drinking this weekend and see if it helps.

Although I'm getting my lamp on friday according to Amazon, so I'm excited to try that out! I'm also doing yoga on saturday in preparation for my half on sunday and hopefully that will help too. My eating's been a bit more than it should be since SAD means I have less ability to manage stress/anxiety which leads to emotional eating. I'm hoping that the light will help and I really need to carve 10-15 minutes out of my day for meditation.

Aelle, good luck with your rolled ankle!! Swimming is probably a really good idea. Be careful with weight lifting, especially squats since I think those put some pressure on ankles. (But do do weight lifting, it's awesome, been incredibly helpful for me)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:45 am 
WRETCHED

Has anyone taking 5-HTP for SAD? I stopped taking my anti-depressants a couple months ago because I couldn't take the side effects but I really didn't feel a difference until lately when SAD hit. I had bought some 5-HTP a while ago and my husband asked me about going back on my anti-depressants so I decided to try them. They seem to work? I see my doctor next month so I'll ask her about anti-depressants again... maybe try something else.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I took 5-HTP for about 4 months last winter. It seemed to help with the depression, but it COMPLETELY killed my sex drive. It took a LONG time to feel like I was back to normal, and that was simply not worth it to me. I know it's a common side effect in antidepressants too, though, so it might be the same.

Also, you should note that you may not under any circumstances take 5-HTP with migraine medications, triptans, demerol, cough syrup, ultram, medicine for parkinson's disease, any antidepressants, or if you have any liver diseases. If you have high blood pressure it is also a no-go.

I find this article to be helpful!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:50 am 
WRETCHED

Well we'll see how the sex drive goes but I'm pretty careful with interactions, I don't take any other medications or even herbal medications (just BC pill and regular vitamins).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I hope it works out for you - besides from the sex drive thing I actually really liked how it affected me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've been doing pretty well this year, but started having trouble last week. I'm upset about a couple of things that I can't seem to let go and am sleeping badly. I just realised today SAD might be affecting my feelings. Boo hiss.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:34 am 
Level 7 Vegan

And we're out of the woods! This is the first week this year that I can see the sunrise before getting to work - ie, that I see daylight at all. Such a relief! The past couple of weeks have been pretty rough. Massive fatigue, lack of motivation, poor quality sleep, and in a new and -let's say- interesting development, waking up ANGRY like you wouldn't believe. I was looking for all sorts of other explanations and coping strategies, then I saw the sun and remembered, "oh right. SAD."

Thankfully it should only get better from now on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:17 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Really not even sure why I had that vit D test ordered. I mean, I live in Portland and it's the middle of winter. I should just take some forking D and get a SAD lamp.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:34 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Heh, got the results back, I was dangerously low so she prescribed me a prescription strength D! Honestly, a big reason I haven't been taking D is that I feel like I can't afford it, and this 50,000 IU one works out as free with my insurance. SO sorry, veganism, you're going to have to bend this one time :/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:05 am 
Inflexitarian

Mars, I'm glad you're taking care of your health, and super awesome that it won't cost extra! Don't feel guilty for taking a prescription, you can't help animals or anyone if you don't take care of yourself.