| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thyroid Issues And Still Eating Soy?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:53 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I was having an internet conversation where a bunch of vegans were discussing the anti-soy hysteria out there. It is still very much out there, but the point was made that there are a growing number of vocal health authorities, not affiliated with veg*sm, who are publishing opinions that if you do not have a thyroid issue you don't need to be worried about a moderate soy intake. After that point was made a number of people who do have thyroid issues posted that they still ate soy and without any problems. They just told their doctors who adjusted their meds.

I found that to be very interesting.

Does anyone here have a thyroid issue, but continue to regularly eat soy with their doctor's supervision?

Post subject: Re: Thyroid Issues And Still Eating Soy?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:45 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I read a Q & A article in Vegetarian Times by Dr. Neal Barnardthis week abouts soy. He said that soy does not cause thyroid problems. It can reduce the absorption of thyroid supplements. It was a good shor tarticle that gave me information I can pass on to friends and family who fear soy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:45 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm hypothyroid, on levothyroxine and continue to eat soy all the time. Maybe that's why my dose needs to keep being increased?! My doctor doesn't say anything to me either way about it, and I don't notice a difference in how I feel if I have a light soy vs a heavy soy consumption week.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:15 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Hmmm. I'm hypothyroid and I've never had the soy conversation with my doc. Calcium also interferes with the meds. I just wait until lunch before I eat anything with calcium. Maybe the same should be done with soy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:25 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I had my cancerous thyroid removed and now take synthetic thyroid hormone daily. It's been 7 years and I've never noticed any difference in my soy-crazy versus soy-free weeks. My endocrinologist advised to avoid consuming calcium within about an hour of the pills, and I try to avoid soy for that hour, but really I don't think it affects anything. I have read more about the thyroid than any other subject ever, and I can't find any medical backing to all the anti-soy sources. There is one particularly vocal anti-soy source (books and internet) whose "credibility" is that she is a patient. She is also adamant that people should use pig thyroid, and she encourages people to argue with their doctors until they switch to pig. In the end I think real doctors know more than her.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:45 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I asked my endo (one of the best in the state), and he said not to worry about soy. The most important thing, he said, was not to eat anything for half an hour after I take my synthroid.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:24 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Interesting replies so far! Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:32 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I don't worry about it. Just like mollyjade, I just avoid taking synthroid with food. I take my synthroid first thing in the morning, and don't eat for 30-45 minutes afterwards. There are lots of foods that inhibit thyroid absorption, not just soy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:38 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

mollyjade wrote:
I asked my endo (one of the best in the state), and he said not to worry about soy. The most important thing, he said, was not to eat anything for half an hour after I take my synthroid.

yeah, that's what i've heard, too. in my food and medications interaction book that i use in the hospital that's all it says about soy and thyroid - to make sure to eat it a certain amount of time before or after taking medication.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:55 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Ampner wrote:
I had my cancerous thyroid removed and now take synthetic thyroid hormone daily. It's been 7 years and I've never noticed any difference in my soy-crazy versus soy-free weeks.

Me too, but mine's been out for 11 years. My endo knows I'm vegan, but he's never mentioned anything about soy. He's more concerned with me taking my levoxyl every day. You'd think that after over a decade, I could remember. Nope.

I happen to have an appointment next week. I'll ask him about the soy thing then.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

beforewisdom wrote:
Does anyone here have a thyroid issue, but continue to regularly eat soy with their doctor's supervision?

Yes. I had my Synthroid dose reduced maybe about a year ago after blood tests showed my thyroid levels trending upward. My doctor knows about my veganism and expresses no concern relative to my thyroid, but she recently told me to cut my consumption of soy down to three servings a month because of a hormonally related breast cancer risk in my family. So I'm trying to reduce my soy intake now but that has nothing to do with my thyroid issues, which were diagnosed 17 years ago and I've been taking supplemental thyroid hormone (I'm hypothyroid) all that time and have been vegan for more than seven years now, so regularly eating soy in a hypothyroid state (normalized with hormonal supplementation) for quite a stretch now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:20 am 
Tortilla Rita's character account

I take levothyroxine (same dose for at least a couple of years now) and I asked my endo early on about the soy/thyroid connection. He was not concerned about my intake.

blog | vegan blog | twitter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:29 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

helbury wrote:
I don't worry about it. Just like mollyjade, I just avoid taking synthroid with food. I take my synthroid first thing in the morning, and don't eat for 30-45 minutes afterwards. There are lots of foods that inhibit thyroid absorption, not just soy.

This. When going vegan I was afraid that the amount of thyroid hormones I gotta take would go up because my soy consumption increased. Instead it decreased a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:54 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

seitanicverses wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:

My doctor knows about my veganism and expresses no concern relative to my thyroid, but she recently told me to cut my consumption of soy down to three servings a month because of a hormonally related breast cancer risk in my family.

You might want to research this more? I thought the soy/hormonal breast cancer risk had been pretty well debunked.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:18 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

It would be interesting to hear from a cancer survivor whose cancer reduced after giving up soy and who had medical tests before as well as after giving up soy to verify that. Anecdotal accounts are not knowledge, but I don't think I have ever read a post from anyone who has had that story to tell.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:46 pm 
WELFARIST!

Jill wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:

My doctor knows about my veganism and expresses no concern relative to my thyroid, but she recently told me to cut my consumption of soy down to three servings a month because of a hormonally related breast cancer risk in my family.

You might want to research this more? I thought the soy/hormonal breast cancer risk had been pretty well debunked.

From what I've read, the question's not been resolved either way in a satisfactory study. Here's an older summary (2001) from Cornell University website/link to whole document: http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/factshe ... .phyto.cfm

Some snippets: Can phytoestrogens from soy foods affect breast cancer risk?

It is currently unclear whether phytoestrogens from soy foods affect breast cancer risk. Studies looking directly at breast cancer risk and soy in the diet are not in agreement. Almost half of the studies have reported no effect of soy on breast cancer risk. In addition, animal and cellular studies of soy phytoestrogens have generated both enthusiasm and concern. Animal studies have shown that soy phytoestrogens can decrease breast cancer formation in rats. However, animal and human studies suggest that soy phytoestrogens can behave like estrogen and potentially increase breast cancer risk. Some scientists have suggested that women should be cautious about eating large amounts of the soy products or soy supplements, because of the possible harmful effects of soy phytoestrogens. These concerns and areas of research are discussed below in more detail.

What have human studies on soy in the diet and breast cancer risk found?

The results of the case-control human studies of the connection between eating soy products and breast cancer risk are conflicting. Some studies have reported no link and others have reported a decrease in the risk of breast cancer among women eating soy compared to women who did not eat soy; no studies have reliably demonstrated an increase in the risk of breast cancer among women eating soy. In addition to the conflicting results, there are four problems with these studies. First, the number of studies is small, only ten studies have examined soy in the diet and breast cancer risk. Second, most of the studies examined small numbers of women, only four of the studies included more than 200 patients. Third, all but two of the studies were limited to women from Asia. The effect of soy in Asian women may not best reflect much of the population of Western countries like the US. Women in Asia differ in important ways. Many of them have eaten soy products all their lives and their usual diets contain large amounts of soy products. Also, Asian women have low rates of breast cancer compared to Western women, which may be related to other factors besides soy in their diet. Fourth, most of these studies are limited by their focus on the general diet of women rather than soy products in detail. More carefully controlled studies are needed that examine the effect of soy products on breast cancer risk in women from cultures outside of Asia and more indepth studies are needed of Asian women.

This 2011 web page refers to a 2009 study: http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/nutrit ... ds/soy.jsp

If anyone has links to more current and reliable studies that reach some sort of definitive conclusion on this, I'd love to read them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:04 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Jill wrote:
the soy/hormonal breast cancer risk had been pretty well debunked.

It has as far as my research is concerned. I had estrogen + / progesterone + breast cancer and I don't worry about soy (other than GMO). Organic only.

As for thyroid, I take armour an hour before eating. (Hashimotos.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:21 pm 

kara kara wrote:
Me too, but mine's been out for 11 years. My endo knows I'm vegan, but he's never mentioned anything about soy. He's more concerned with me taking my levoxyl every day. You'd think that after over a decade, I could remember. Nope.

I happen to have an appointment next week. I'll ask him about the soy thing then.

I have the same problem. I finally fixed it by naming my morning alarm on my phone "synthroid" so it's the first thing I see every morning. The only downside is I have to set an alarm on the weekend, too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:35 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Mihl wrote:

This. When going vegan I was afraid that the amount of thyroid hormones I gotta take would go up because my soy consumption increased. Instead it decreased a bit.

I had the same experience. I've been hypothyroid since I was 16 and when I first went vegetarian about two years ago, I ended up needing less medication than I did when I ate meat. Until that point, I'd been taking the same dose daily for almost a decade. That was part of what sealed the deal as far as vegetarianism goes, because I'd been of the understanding that once you lost thyroid function you never got it back.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone with thyroid issues ever had their doctor discuss b12 deficiencies? I remember reading somewhere that Hashimoto's thyroiditis is an immunodeficiency and tends to be associated with other conditions including pernicious anemia, which is a type of b12 deficiency. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about that?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:24 pm 

gwenc02 wrote:
Slightly off topic, but has anyone with thyroid issues ever had their doctor discuss b12 deficiencies? I remember reading somewhere that Hashimoto's thyroiditis is an immunodeficiency and tends to be associated with other conditions including pernicious anemia, which is a type of b12 deficiency. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about that?

People with one kind of autoimmune disease are more likely to get other autoimmune diseases (and their family members are usually at higher risk, too). I hadn't realized pernicious anemia is an autoimmune disease, but it looks like it is. But it doesn't have anything to do with how much b12 you eat. It has to do with your body's ability to absorb b12.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:11 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

I'm not sure what to quote above but yes, I have been made aware of the B12 connection (and yes, it is an absorption issue) so I do get B12 shots on the regular as well as get my levels tested.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:20 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

ijustdiedinside wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

yeah, that's what i've heard, too. in my food and medications interaction book that i use in the hospital that's all it says about soy and thyroid - to make sure to eat it a certain amount of time before or after taking medication.

Yep, that's what my doc says, too. I've never had to have my synthroid increased in the two years I've been taking it, and I eat soy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:35 pm 
Inflexitarian

mollyjade wrote:

This is the same all of my doctors have told me. It's a well debunked myth that soy harms thyroid. ANYTHING eaten after taking the meds will screw with the absorption. I am super duper strict and make sure I don't eat for at least an hour just to be safe. I mostly just eat Tofu anyway but soy is in everything so it's so difficult to avoid.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:37 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I avoided soy for years because of my thyroid issues. I started eating tofu recently and yes, my levels did change a little bit. I was at about 1.1 for TSH and it went up to 1.5. Still in the normal range, but it did affect it slightly. I guess if someone isn't euthyroid, I would say stay away from soy. My doctor is of the belief that if you want to eat soy products, just have your medicine dosage changed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:30 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

haha, just stumbled upon this..

Quote:
Eric D. Harris, 34, who is serving a life sentence for sexual battery on a child, said the soy in his prison chow is threatening his health by endangering his thyroid and immune system.

Soy Diet Is Cruel and Unusual, Florida Inmate Claims