| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan eating = Chicago in your pants? tmi warning!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:44 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I feel like maybe I once asked this before, but I've forgotten. Forgive me if I have already!

How do you guys know which food causes farty-ness? Since almost everything I eat has that potential, I never know whether to blame today's lunch, last night's dinner, or a snack I had at some point. Any ideas on the 'time lapse' between?

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:08 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I fart all. the. time. You learn to embrace it and to do stealth farts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:32 pm 
Semen Strong

I thought this was about the Sears Tower

Steph wrote:
I feel like maybe I once asked this before, but I've forgotten. Forgive me if I have already!

How do you guys know which food causes farty-ness? Since almost everything I eat has that potential, I never know whether to blame today's lunch, last night's dinner, or a snack I had at some point. Any ideas on the 'time lapse' between?

Foods that contain a lot of fiber and cruciferous veggies are common fartogens.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:24 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Tofulish wrote:

Oh sure, that part I understand! I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Let's say I have a broccoli/cauliflower salad for dinner one night, the next morning high-fiber cereal for breakfast, then at noon a bean burrito. If I get farty at 12:30pm, could the bean burrito be to blame that quickly?

Hope that makes more sense :)

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:06 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I wish I knew. My biggest factor in gas is my sad infrequency in the pooping department in general.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:45 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I love this thread, this is a common problem I have had vegan and non-vegan...weak stomach runs in the family. Does anyone have recommendations for probiotics/enzymes to take?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:13 am 
Nailed to the V

pearTree wrote:
I love this thread, this is a common problem I have had vegan and non-vegan...weak stomach runs in the family. Does anyone have recommendations for probiotics/enzymes to take?

I have an anti-recommendation: Don't buy dimethicone and forget to check if it is in gelatin capsules! I'm not used to checking labels yet... (If you find any that is vegan though, the stuff works ok.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:44 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tofulish wrote:
I thought this was about the Sears Tower

Steph wrote:

I've been Farty McFly recently and I avoid fibre up to a point... I think higher protein intake makes me windypop.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:33 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

From what I remember from nutrition class, it takes a minimum of 3 hours for food to get from your mouth to your colon, often more, so people often mis-attribute those problems to the wrong foods. If you really want to know what's causing you the problem, don't eat the broccoli, cabbage, and beans on the same day. Eat broccoli one day, beans the next, cabbage the next, like an elimination diet, to see what you are more sensitive to. But that is kind of a bore, so if it isn't painful gas maybe just fart and get on with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:39 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

kallista93 wrote:
From what I remember from nutrition class, it takes a minimum of 3 hours for food to get from your mouth to your colon, often more, so people often mis-attribute those problems to the wrong foods. If you really want to know what's causing you the problem, don't eat the broccoli, cabbage, and beans on the same day. Eat broccoli one day, beans the next, cabbage the next, like an elimination diet, to see what you are more sensitive to. But that is kind of a bore, so if it isn't painful gas maybe just fart and get on with it.

That is super helpful -- thank you!!