| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: The Birth Control Thread
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:15 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm going to start this one because I am consistently confused about birth control methods and though the IUD thread is very helpful (if I wanted one), I have some questions about other methods of birth control.
I've been on ortho tricyclen lo and I hate it. I gained weight, I get nauseous sometimes, yuck.

Has anyone heard of or tried Femulen (oral contraceptive) or Evra (patch)? I went to Melisser's book signing and she talks about both. I guess Femulen is just progesterone? Please let me know your thoughts! I'm going off of ortho tcl for the next month and I would like to start whatever I'm going to do next in a short while.

Thanks guys!

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

Post subject: Re: The Birth Control Thread
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:37 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I considered femulen before I got my IUD but realistically taking it within the 3 hour window was never going to happen for me. If you have a regular schedule & aren't forgetful it could be a good choice, have you spoken to your doctor about your options?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:18 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I got the coil fitted this morning. What a way to make a monday morning even crappier! Anyway, I was just reading the booklet that I was handed as I wobbled out the surgery, and it says I shouldn't use tampons. Anyone else's experience on this matter?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:41 am 

Rachwins wrote:
I got the coil fitted this morning. What a way to make a monday morning even crappier! Anyway, I was just reading the booklet that I was handed as I wobbled out the surgery, and it says I shouldn't use tampons. Anyone else's experience on this matter?

I got mine fitted last week! It hurt like a mother hubbard! Did you go to the CASH clinic? They told me not to use tampons until my 6 week checkup but that I can use my cup after 3 weeks if I'm careful with the suction!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:10 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Have you tried just a monophasic BC pill? The tricyclens change hormone levels once a week. Your body might not be cool with that. I was on a progesterone only pill first, and I *never*stopped*bleeding*. I've been on Ortho Cyclen (generic now) ever since and haven't had an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:38 am 
Smuggling Raisins

jojo wrote:
Rachwins wrote:

I got mine fitted last week! It hurt like a mother hubbard! Did you go to the CASH clinic? They told me not to use tampons until my 6 week checkup but that I can use my cup after 3 weeks if I'm careful with the suction!

I'm glad it wasn't just me being a wuss! I had a complete freak out, not because it hurt, but it was just really uncomfortable! I couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry, so I did a little of both, and a lot of squirming. I had mine done in the local clinic. Did you go for the hormone one, or the plain old copper one?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:31 pm 

rabidchild wrote:
Have you tried just a monophasic BC pill? The tricyclens change hormone levels once a week. Your body might not be cool with that. I was on a progesterone only pill first, and I *never*stopped*bleeding*. I've been on Ortho Cyclen (generic now) ever since and haven't had an issue.

I did try the monophasic for a short while because it made me sick to my stomach. What do you mean you never stopped bleeding? Like, ever? Always bleeding everyday? :o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:37 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

here's a link to the IUD thread

and here's a link to the fertility awareness thread. (if you want to go hormone-free)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:55 pm 

jojo wrote:
I considered femulen before I got my IUD but realistically taking it within the 3 hour window was never going to happen for me. If you have a regular schedule & aren't forgetful it could be a good choice, have you spoken to your doctor about your options?

Well, briefly. I'm kind of trying different things right now. Femulen just seemed to be the best chice because it's vegan and made from synthetic hormones. But if you bleed all the time on ick, gross. I wouldn't want that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:28 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I've never used anything but condoms as birth control, so I can't give you any personal advice on that front. I can explain how my sister is doing on the progesterone-only pill she's been taking for maybe a year now.

She's told me she's gained 10 lbs -- but she was quite skinny before, so I think she actually looks pretty good. However, she does complain about her face "looking" chubbier and her waist not being as defined as before.

Her acne has cleared up.

She told me her irregular periods became more predictable, but she does get occasional light spotting.

I have noticed she's moodier now. She'll get annoyed at more things than before and complain more. She's even realized that she gets angry over little things way more often than before. Since she's realized that, she's been able to mentally catch herself and go back to normal...

Anyway, she said the progesterone-only pill is working for her, and she feels like she's doing well on it.

Hope this helps, but I don't know how helpful it is for someone to give second-hand info...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:52 pm 

Rachwins wrote:
jojo wrote:
Rachwins wrote:

I'm glad it wasn't just me being a wuss! I had a complete freak out, not because it hurt, but it was just really uncomfortable! I couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry, so I did a little of both, and a lot of squirming. I had mine done in the local clinic. Did you go for the hormone one, or the plain old copper one?

I got the plain copper one, no more hormones *yay*

I know what you mean about the uncomfortableness, I did a lot of squirming - it felt so weird!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:45 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I'm glad to be hormone free, although I was a little narked when I realised the selling factor of iuds, that periods usually stop after a few months, was only available on the hormone editions. Sneakers trying to convince me to be more mental!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:26 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My mother mentioned being on a progestin-only pill after my brother was born (over 20 years ago), since they wouldn't fit you with an IUD for a year or so back then, and didn't have any issues with it. I've only ever used condoms but am getting thoroughly fed up of my friends migraine and menorrhagia.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:48 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've been on Lutera (generic of Alesse) for a couple of months and haven't noticed any side effects aside from my first period continuing longer than it should have (the second was normal). No nausea, no weight gain, no moodiness, and copay is only $5/month.

So, um, no complaints, but can't speak to how you'd react.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:30 am 

I just came off birth control for the first time in almost 9 months and I can't keep my hands off Manfriend all of a sudden! what the fizzle? And...cool!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:41 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

sarahnorine wrote:
I just came off birth control for the first time in almost 9 months and I can't keep my hands off Manfriend all of a sudden! what the fizzle? And...cool!

Ha ha, same thing happened to me, and yes, the pill is notorious for cutting your sex drive! I'd like to remind everyone that with any hormonal contraception, the effects on one woman will be different to the next. So really, go and talk to your doctor. I'm from Australia and don't know if American drug names are the same, but another factor to consider is the different "generation" progestogens. If, for example, you were experiencing significant issues with bloating, fluid retention, or even acne and hirsutism, trying a fourth generation pill (e.g. Diane, Yasmin, Yas) may be beneficial (albeit expensive). The different amounts of estrogens will of course also impact.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

sarahnorine wrote:

Oh, jealous. I traded in every last ounce of interest in sex in favor of not having to stay home from work for the first 2-3 days of my period because I was always too busy throwing up and curled up in a ball on the floor weeping from pain, but I'm really starting to miss it.
Did you just come off of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo? That's what I'm on, and it'd be nice to know that there's still hope for my miserable excuse of a libido.

Ye gods, I can't wait until my ob/gyn lets me get a tubal ligation.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I stopped taking my BCP this summer...and yes to the sudden sex drive.

Now I use FAM and the Today Sponge. it has been working well for me so far...no babies!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:24 pm 

stephanie wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:

Oh, jealous. I traded in every last ounce of interest in sex in favor of not having to stay home from work for the first 2-3 days of my period because I was always too busy throwing up and curled up in a ball on the floor weeping from pain, but I'm really starting to miss it.
Did you just come off of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo? That's what I'm on, and it'd be nice to know that there's still hope for my miserable excuse of a libido.

Ye gods, I can't wait until my ob/gyn lets me get a tubal ligation.

Yep. Ortho TriCyclen. I'm really glad I came off of it, but as you mentioned, I might not be so happy once my period comes around again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:27 pm 

Fizzgig wrote:

Now I use FAM and the Today Sponge. it has been working well for me so far...no babies!

Where are you getting your information on FAM? And might you be able to fill me in on the sponge? I look at sponges and am immediately confused of how they...go in, I guess. And can he feel it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:34 pm 
Nailed to the V

I am currently on Depo. I know it's bad for you, and I hate it. I have easily gained twenty pounds because of it. My cycles have been so wonky too. I bled for two weeks last month and haven't at all this month. The only reason I got on it is because I had an abortion in September and wanted something immediately following the procedure. I'm having a copper IUD placed in January, I don't want any more hormonal bc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

sarahnorine wrote:
Fizzgig wrote:

Where are you getting your information on FAM?

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=284

:-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Given how international these boards are, if we are going to talk about BCP, I suggest we mention the chemical composition and dosage rather than just the brand name. I'd like to help but I have no idea what all your brands are!

I was on Levonorgestrel/Ethinyl Estradiol 30µg for 2 years, on and off, and it was perfect for me, except for the lower sex drive. I switched to the hormonal IUD 1.5 years ago, though, for the convenience of not having to renew my prescription every 3 months.

Fizzgig wrote:

God, yes. I remember last time I went off the pill, I was sitting in an exam and COULD NOT concentrate because all I could think of was dick dick dick dick dick.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:28 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

sarahnorine wrote:
rabidchild wrote:

I did try the monophasic for a short while because it made me sick to my stomach. What do you mean you never stopped bleeding? Like, ever? Always bleeding everyday? :o

Bled every day for 2 solid months! Then I switched to ortho cyclen. Problem solved. It nauseated me a little bit for a few weeks, then it went away and haven't had an issue since.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:06 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Don't use the patch!!!! I used it for 5 months and it really messed my body up. It pumps way too much estrogen into your system and while a pill dissolves and gives your body a break until your next dose, the patch never does. If you consider taking it please, please, please do your research. You will find a lot of testimonials from people saying the same thing that I did.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next