| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Birth Control Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Fizzgig wrote:
I stopped taking my BCP this summer...and yes to the sudden sex drive.

Now I use FAM and the Today Sponge. it has been working well for me so far...no babies!

I think I'm leaning towards the sponge myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I really need some advice/support/guidance. My IUD rebelled and jumped ship and I have a prescription for Yazmin (or its generic counterpart), but I am really really REALLY not interested in hormonal BC. I don't need something that's going to make it even harder to control my weight and I don't want it to affect my libido, plus it seems like the serious side effects are pretty... serious. Has anyone had a good experience?

Edited to Add... I'm just not doing it. Not picking up the prescription. Not doing it. Ugh.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:46 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Anyone here take Lo Loestrin FE?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:53 am 
Ninja Master

My doc just changed my pill to Cilest as the one I was on previously wasn't making my periods any lighter. I have read a few bad things about Cilest so I'm hoping I don't start piling the weight on, as it's taken so freaking long to lose it!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:00 am 
Chard Martyr

I was on Alesse/Aviane and I went off of it about two months ago. I hated the side effects.
I guess it's a pretty low dose of estrogen, which I requested to try to avoid major side effects like cramping, decreased libido, weight gain, and all of that, but I hated how my body felt on it. It made me lethargic, too. Yuck overall.

starrynight87 wrote:
For future reference, if you post a link, could you please give some background as to what you're linking to and why?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:04 pm 
Human Gravy

appifanie wrote:
Anyone here take Lo Loestrin FE?

I was for a couple months but it made me too nervous because my period basically disappeared. I asked my doctor to switch me to a pill that had an entire week of placebos.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:25 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Anybody here have Implanon/Nexplanon? I'm considering getting one, after my dr told me I was too young to have a coil put in (I could technically get one, but it would be a long process involving solicitors, and second opinions, etc). I was also wondering if Evening Primrose Oil will interfere with it in any way, since I usually take EPO for PMS-related stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:01 am 
Huffs Nooch

I decided to stop taking the pill to see if it is what has been causing my anxiety, depression, and complete lack of libido.

I should have started a new pack yesterday, so I'm two days off the pill (not including the placebo week). I've had a wicked headache for most of today. It might be a side-effect of stopping the pill, or it's just because I need a stronger prescription for my glasses. Has anyone else come off the pill and gotten terrible headaches?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:49 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Okay, so I have a question. It might be a stupid question, so don't judge me, haha.

So the period you have while on the pill isn't a real period - it's a withdrawal bleed from taking inactive pills. If the pill failed me and I did get pregnant, would I still have a withdrawal bleed? I'm guessing that the answer is "no," but I want to be sure.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

From what I've read, the withdrawal bleeding isn't actually a good indicator for lack of pregnancy. It is possible to be pregnant and still experience a few withdrawal bleedings, although I don't know how frequently it happens. Basically the break between 2 series of pills is absolutely useless.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:59 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Ah, okay! Thanks for responding. Well crepe, that means I might not know for a while if it fails.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:35 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Jigglypuff wrote:
Ah, okay! Thanks for responding. Well crepe, that means I might not know for a while if it fails.

I got freaked out by that a couple times in the last few weeks, so I ended up buying a bulk pregnancy test thing from amazon. Like, 50 tests for 10 dollars or something. So... now I don't have to worry about it for about four years.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:07 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Vulgar_Wheat wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:

I got freaked out by that a couple times in the last few weeks, so I ended up buying a bulk pregnancy test thing from amazon. Like, 50 tests for 10 dollars or something. So... now I don't have to worry about it for about four years.

Whoa...this exists? I know what I'm doing with my Amazon gift card. I skip the placebo pills so I only get my period 4 times a year or so. Pregnancy tests are my best friend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:15 pm 

allisonbrye wrote:
Vulgar_Wheat wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:

Whoa...this exists? I know what I'm doing with my Amazon gift card. I skip the placebo pills so I only get my
period 4 times a year or so. Pregnancy tests are my best friend.

Yeah, they're just strips, not the whole sophisticated pee-on-a-stick thing. You have to pee in a cup with them, but still, 20c a test, compared to 6, 7 dollars a stick? SOLD.

(These are the ones I'm talking about.) Most of the reviews are by people trying to get pregnant, but..... whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:41 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

oh wow. and here i thought the strips from http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/pr ... tests.html
were the cheapest around. (and amazon has free shipping!)
sold!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:10 pm 

To be fair, a few reviews indicated that some batches might be prone to false positives? So... I guess check them when you first get them to be sure, or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:27 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm currently thinking about going on the pill. I've never used any form of contraception other than condoms, but my ex (who was my only proper long-term partner) couldn't have kids, so the whole birth control thing wasn't really an issue. Now I find that sex with condoms feels really not good, which I can deal with if it's just a random thing, but now that I'm starting something that seems to have the potential to be sort of serious, I'd really rather my sexy times were as sexy as possible.

HOWEVER, I'm so, so worried about potential lack of sex drive and weight gain, as it would pretty much put a damper on the sexy thing. Man, I really wish "prayer" were a more effective form of contraception.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:53 am 
Chard Martyr

Disappearing Ink wrote:
Man, I really wish "prayer" were a more effective form of contraception.
Ha.
I just started nuva-ring 2.5 weeks ago and thus far, I don't feel as totally mental as when I've been on a pill in the past. I hated the emotional craziness that the pill (even a low-dose one) made me feel, as well as lack of motivation and decreased sex drive. I realise it's only 2.5 weeks in, but I'm hopeful.
I've gained weight but I can't say that's from the ring. I've been sick/injured and not exercising like I normally do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:14 am 
Ninja Master

I've been on the pill over a year and it hasn't affected my sex drive or made me put on weight. The reason I put weight on is because I ate too freaking much!! hahaha.

It does have other side effects though that I'm not crazy about but it makes periods more tolerable which is the reason I actually went on it in the first place. It took a while to find one that works for me though, this is the 3rd one I've tried. It's still not perfect but it's better than the other 2 for now.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:09 am 

Disappearing Ink wrote:
Now I find that sex with condoms feels really not good, which I can deal with if it's just a random thing, but now that I'm starting something that seems to have the potential to be sort of serious, I'd really rather my sexy times were as sexy as possible.

If your problem with condoms is like my problem with condoms, which is to say, "oh god my vagina is being dried out because of this stupid latex thing"... I discovered recently that places sell little portable lube things. Like, little packet things about the size of a condom package. I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet, but I mean. It's lube. Lube does its thing. So yeah, there's a couple hanging out in my bag now. (that's normal, right? everyone carries a couple of condoms and stuff around at all times, right? you never know what's going to come up.)

I really want an IUD, I think, probably the hormonal kind. I'm using the nuvaring now, and I really like that I only have to bother with it once a month (I have a hard time remembering to take pills at the same time each day), but I really hate that I have to either pay 80/month at the pharmacy, or go downtown every 4 weeks to get another one free at pp. They used to just give me 6 months worth at a time, which was awesome, but apparently they don't do that anymore, so I have to go in during walk-in hours and apparently they usually stop accepting walk-ins at about 10am and I have *class* until 3 every day so this is hard for me grumble grumble. And supposedly my college insurance might cover IUDs? But having a T-shaped thing stuck past my cervix sounds kinda scary. And I know you have to do a thing to get it removed, so I'm afraid of the possibility of not liking it.

I figure that even if insurance doesn't cover IUDs, it still costs like 500 or 600 dollars? And that's just half a year of paying for the nuvaring. So... it'd probably be worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:25 am 

Disappearing Ink wrote:
Man, I really wish "prayer" were a more effective form of contraception.

People call withdrawal "pull and pray. it's actually really effective if done correctly.

otherwise, you could use science. I've been using FAM for 93 cycles, and still no kids.
(but really, I can't wait until RISUG is available. it's a pain in the tushie waking up at the same time every day to take my temperature, and lately my temps have been weird, so we haven't been taking chances.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:55 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Vulgar Wheat: My condom issues aren't so much of the drying variety, but more of the plasticy feeling variety. I'm not sure if this is partially psychosomatic, but the whole skin-to-skin contact thing feels so much better to me.

I am also somewhat scared of the whole IUD thing. I don't think I'd want a hormonal one, as if I didn't get along with the hormones, it would be a pain to get it taken out, and I read the the plain copper ones can make your periods heavier, which I'm not really down with. Plus, generally a weird idea.

Supercarrot: I read a little about FAM, and I like the idea in theory (no condoms and no scary, potentially crazy makin', hormones) but I am not that organised and am scared I would make a mistake. Are there lots of charts involved? Is it hard?! Also, my menstrual cycle has a tendency to be a bit irregular at times, does that make a difference? I should really go ask these questions in the right thread.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:05 pm 

I've replied over there. <3
viewtopic.php?p=469916#p469916

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:27 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So, I've been on the NuvaRing for three years now and was on Depo for about 4 before that. Within the last few years I've noticed my migraines (which I always had from about the time I first had my period) have been getting worse and worse - more intense and more frequent. I've also had some weight gain, which isn't as problematic as getting the weight to come off - no matter how much I exercise and how well I eat, it doesn't go anywhere. I kind of took it for granted because it's been a gradual thing, but I'm really starting to feel like it's all connected. The problem is that I started with the Depo because I had a really hard time with daily pills and had awful side effects as opposed to the minimal but increasing ones I do now. But given that I was taking pills fairly young and it was a long time ago, I am starting to wonder if I might be better off trying that again. Does anyone have any experience with something like that? Firstly going from the ring to pills and secondly, pills affecting you differently as you got older?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:58 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I'm off birth control for the first time since I was 16. Just using condoms at the moment but admittedly I'm not having much sex because I've been a bit sensitive in that area lately. I'm very interested in FAM and got out the book about it a year or so ago (Managing/Controlling your Fertility or something like that). I might start soon. I don't feel 100% comfortable just using condoms on their own.

I stopped the pill for a few reasons. Money was one but I was also interested to see if it lifts any of my depression or recent lack of libido.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next