| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Birth Control Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:45 pm 
Dildo Queen

i think i'm going to call the sexual health place and see if i can get an IUD or something. the withdrawal method - though he and i are both on the same page and he's able to control himself - seems risky. i just don't want hormonal birth control anymore. maybe i should just stop having sex.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:13 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I tried a female condom once and it seemed okay. I would have got more of them if they hadn't been about 3-4 times the price of male condoms (also I could get free condoms from the family planning clinic at the time).

Had to buy some condoms recently and was shocked at how expensive they are. I just hope they don't go past their use by before I can use them all up, it's always sad to find a packet several months past its best.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:45 am 
Tofu Pup

Heyyy guys I am seeking your knowledge. My adoring boyfriend, whom I see just a couple weeks out of the year, is coming in from the UK on my spring break. THAT WEEK IS ALSO MY SUGAR PILL WEEK (I'm on Sprintec). I called the lady doctor about the safety of skipping, and she maintains that it would be better to take that sugar pill week on the third week of my pack rather than the forth. That still runs into my much-cherished time with my boyfriend, but I am willing to do it if it works. I kind of wondered why I couldn't take the sugar pill week a week late rather, but she repeated "Nahhhh take them the week earlier."

I was just wanting your experiences on skipping/taking sugar pills early/late. I am paranoid that if I do it early my uterus will be all stubborn and "NO MA'AM IT IS NOT TIME."

Thank you very much :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:10 pm 
Dead by dawn

I have skipped the placebos and gone on to the next pack, putting off my period, easily 50 times in the 20+ years I have been on the pill. Always with the blessings of my doctors. I don't know about your brand specifically, but this shouldn't be an issue for monophasic pills. There's no biological/medical need to have a period when you're on the pill. This has been common practice for years so I'm surprised that she'd not be on board with it unless it is something particular to the formulation you're on. Honestly, this is 90+% of the reason I went back on the pill at all.

Edit: I just looked yours up and it looks like it's a triphasic pill. I don't know how skipping would work when the hormone levels are changing weekly. I assume this is why she thinks you should manipulate it a particular way...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:17 am 
***LIES!!!***

I used to skip the placebo week of triphasics all the time with no problem at all - I've always been on triphasics (until now, because I'm on progesterone only). I have read that some people flip their packs to reduce the chances of breakthrough bleeding, that is, they skip the sugar pills and take the highest dose pills of the next pack first, then step down. I don't know what the effect of doing that would be on the pill's effectiveness, but it should certainly work to skip your period. I always just did low, medium, high (skip sugar pills), low, medium, high. Never had any breakthrough bleeding either.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:34 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

bump.

I'm back on the pill (some generic of orthotricyclen, which, I know, but she told me none of her patients had problems with it) after 4 years off and I forgot how much it sucks to start. I spotted for 2 weeks after my period was supposed to be over, I'm totally gaining some weight, and my BOOBS ARE HUGE. I really like having small A cups, and they have grown probably a cup size over the past month. And they hurt. A lot. I mean, no babies are a good thing for me right now and condoms are expensive and annoying, but seriously. Why does this have to suck so much in the beginning?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:43 pm 
Huffs Nooch

After reading everyone's horror stories, I just wanted to share a positive experience with HBC. I started taking it when I was 19 and stopped at 27 (six months ago), only because regular sex isn't in my foreseeable future (going thru a divorce). I took a few low-dose generics over the years and never experienced side effects with any of them. I'm very fortunate in that I have almost no PMS symptoms, and they seem unaffected by whether or not I'm on the pill. I started taking it around the time I went vegan, so any weight gain was negated by discontinuing my daily trips to Dunkin Donuts. My sex drive was always in line with my relationships - sure, I had zero interest during the last three years of my marriage, but I don't think that was the pills.

About a month after I stopped taking it, I noticed my face was breaking out like I was 15 again. I adjusted my facial care routine from bar soap and hand lotion and now my skin is back to normal. My periods have been 3 months apart and lighter than when on HBC. I'm assuming they will get back to a monthly cycle, but for now it's pretty awesome. As for sex drive, I did notice a crazy surge (like I'd be at work and my mind would wander and suddenly I was sweaty and couldn't breathe) within a month of stopping, but that only lasted a week or two. I'd definitely take it again, it beats condoms any day and I'm too much of a wuss to get an IUD.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:16 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I agree, HBC is better for me than the other options. I just wish my boobs would quit growing. My spotting finally stopped and now I'm just waiting on my period. I don't know if it's going to come this week or next week...they make you start it differently from how I did when I was on it 10+ years ago. It used to be that you started the pills after your period was over, so you had 4 weeks of active pills, and then the placebo (or whatever) week of pills during your period. When I went last month or so, she said that now they have you start your pills on the first day of your period, and then it's effective immediately (no waiting a month)...that seemed odd to me, but I talked to her about it and she seemed adamant, and said that's how she starts all of her patients now. So anyway, I've had my 4 weeks of active pills, but only 3 of those weeks were after my period...so I don't know if it's going to start any day now or if it's going to come at the end of next week, when the placebo pills are finished. Or maybe it'll just come a little early, and then eventually even out so that it starts at the beginning of the dummy pill week? I have no idea, I just did what my doctor told me to do. I hope she was right, because T and I have not used a backup (probably dumb, but she was SO ADAMANT!). Wouldn't that be some shiitake? To get pregnant after not being on BC for 4 years, the month that I get back on the pill? Life better not jerk me around that way. *goes to knock on some wood*

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:22 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I had my contraceptive implant replaced a few weeks back (I've had one for 3 years and this new one will do me another 3 years) and it's worked so well for me. I haven't had a period in 3 years and I don't seem to get any side effects, plus I don't have to worry in the same way that I did with the pill about remembering to take it, what happens if I get sick or eat something that interferes with it and so on. It's just so much less hassle and stress!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:19 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

allularpunk wrote:
I agree, HBC is better for me than the other options. I just wish my boobs would quit growing. My spotting finally stopped and now I'm just waiting on my period. I don't know if it's going to come this week or next week...they make you start it differently from how I did when I was on it 10+ years ago. It used to be that you started the pills after your period was over, so you had 4 weeks of active pills, and then the placebo (or whatever) week of pills during your period. When I went last month or so, she said that now they have you start your pills on the first day of your period, and then it's effective immediately (no waiting a month)...that seemed odd to me, but I talked to her about it and she seemed adamant, and said that's how she starts all of her patients now. So anyway, I've had my 4 weeks of active pills, but only 3 of those weeks were after my period...so I don't know if it's going to start any day now or if it's going to come at the end of next week, when the placebo pills are finished. Or maybe it'll just come a little early, and then eventually even out so that it starts at the beginning of the dummy pill week? I have no idea, I just did what my doctor told me to do. I hope she was right, because T and I have not used a backup (probably dumb, but she was SO ADAMANT!). Wouldn't that be some shiitake? To get pregnant after not being on BC for 4 years, the month that I get back on the pill? Life better not jerk me around that way. *goes to knock on some wood*

My understanding is that you should use back-up for the first week because it takes about that long for your body and the pill to stop the forces of babymaking. So...here's hoping no babies!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, I asker her and she was like, 'Nope!' So...fingers crossed.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:53 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

j-dub wrote:
My understanding is that you should use back-up for the first week because it takes about that long for your body and the pill to stop the forces of babymaking. So...here's hoping no babies!

It takes one week for the hormones to kick in to their full effectiveness, but because you can't (normally) ovulate while on your period, you should be fine with that method. That's how I was told to start the pill too.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:22 pm 
Nailed to the V

I've had my hormonal IUD (Mirena) for six months, and I don't know if I'll keep it. I'm still spotting quite a lot, and I think I should have seen a pattern by now. And my face is spotty and hairy. I'm thinking of trying a diaphragm next. Anyone want to share some wisdom on that?

I've tried the copper IUD which didn't agree with me, and I really don't want to take estrogen. I don't like condoms.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:23 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Allular, looks like your healthcare provider was right. From Planned Parenthood:
Planned Parenthood wrote:
If you start within five days after the start of your period, you are protected against pregnancy right away. You will not need to use a backup method of birth control. That means that if your period starts on a Wednesday morning, you can start the pill up to Monday morning to be protected right away.

That is really different than 10+ yrs ago when I first started the pill.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:29 pm 
Dead by dawn

helbury wrote:
Allular, looks like your healthcare provider was right. From Planned Parenthood:
If you start within five days after the start of your period, you are protected against pregnancy right away. You will not need to use a backup method of birth control. That means that if your period starts on a Wednesday morning, you can start the pill up to Monday morning to be protected right away.

That is actually what my nurse practitioner told me 26 years ago when I first went on the pill. I always heard differently from other people and other docs, but the package insert backed it up. I think the vast majority of everyone has always opted to err on the side of caution and that became fact.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I started my pre-period spotting, so yay! It's just weird that in the past, my period always happened during the dumby pills, but since I started them differently it is going to take time to even out.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:49 pm 
WELFARIST!

This may seem like a dumb question but there's no way in hell I'm going back to my old OBGYN who withheld my birth control from me because I didn't have time (nor did I want to) undergo unnecessary testing, and I was wondering if a primary care physician could write me a script for bc?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mr. Shankly wrote:
This may seem like a dumb question but there's no way in hell I'm going back to my old OBGYN who withheld my birth control from me because I didn't have time (nor did I want to) undergo unnecessary testing, and I was wondering if a primary care physician could write me a script for bc?

Yes, they can.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Methinks it is time for me to start working on hubby about him getting a vasectomy. Either that or getting myself sterilized. I think my bc ruins my libido

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:17 pm 
WELFARIST!

Vantine wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

Yes, they can.

That makes me feel so much better. I wasn't sure where I was going to get bc from again (hormonal). Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:06 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

helbury wrote:

nahh. it's just science. it's one of the rules for fertility awareness. it has nothing to do with the pill. you're always safe the first 5 days of your cycle whether you're taking the pill or not, and then partially safe if you don't have any moist cervical fluids. (sperm doesn't immediately die in a dry environment since there's the semen and the arousal fluids, so if you start producing fertile cervical fluids within 2 hours of gettin' it on, you're in the danger zone.) but anyway, it's rare for people to ovulate earlier than day 11, and sperm can live for up to 6 days in a suitable environment. (11-6=5) also, if you ovulate earlier than day 11, there's a good chance you haven't built up enough lining, so implantation is unlikely.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:07 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, I guess I knew that from using FAM when I was trying to get pregnant a couple years back. I wish I had the discipline to use it again, but I just don't right now. Honestly, I just drink too much for it...too many temp spike days to really be accurate with the ovulation charting, though I guess I could go by fluid alone. But that seems a tad risky.

Anyway, high five, my period started this morning, so all is well.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:30 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Does anyone have any experience with FAM and amenorrhea? I would really like to go off BC pills, but I very rarely get a period. I get the symptoms still, but no period. Do you think FAM could still work or does my cycle sound too wonky to risk it? I'd still use condoms.

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:35 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

if you're still planning on using condoms, then there's nothing negative about trying to figure out what's going on with the FAM. tracking your symptoms and using condoms isn't more risky than not knowing what's going on and using condoms. knowledge is always good.

(you might also want to post on the FAM thread. some of the folks in that thread probably don't bother to open up this one. i know i generally don't.)
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=284

generally with amenorrhea, you need to treat pretty much your entire cycle as if you're in pre-ovulation mode. (but since you plan on using condoms, no biggie) and unfortunately, the other male contraceptives currently suck. (soon we'll have vasalgel and gandarussa and the clean sheets pill, but not yet.) the external heat method and ultrasound may not be as effective or safe, but are available now if your guy wants to research it.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:12 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Thank you supercarrot!

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next