| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Birth Control Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:17 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I got a diaphragm and I really like it! Haven't dared to use it alone yet, but combined with condoms.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:11 am 

... and you know how they say you can use your diaphragm as a menstrual cup? Yes you can, but it's really messy to remove compared to a regular bell-shaped cup.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:57 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm going off the pill next month, kinda excited but a bit scared :) Any experiences to share? What should I expect?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

missopposite wrote:
I'm going off the pill next month, kinda excited but a bit scared :) Any experiences to share? What should I expect?

I'm sure everyone's experiences will vary, but for me: my boobs shrank some (they had gotten bigger with the BC and now that I'm back on it, they're bigger again) and my periods got farther apart, with spotting for a few days before.

I miss my smaller boobs, but not that spotting before periods.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hey guys. I just switched pills (I was bleeding a lot on one of the pills). Anyways, it's my week without pills and my period hasn't come. Is this normal? Should I buy a pregnancy test? My partner and I are super safe. I have a hard time imagining that the pill and condoms could get me pregnant.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:00 pm 
WRETCHED

how far are you into the week? My last pill is on Saturday and my period starts on Thursday.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:23 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, my last pill is also on Saturday, and mine period starts on Wednesday, religiously. BUT it took a few months to regulate out like that, so maybe it's just your new pill? I would wait out the whole week before I bought a preggers test.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:52 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

It started today. I've never been this thankful before. Normally my period starts on Thursdays once I get adjusted to the hormones in the pill, but after changing I expected stuff to be a bit off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:48 am 
Chip Strong

missopposite wrote:

I went off Yasmin 2 years ago ( I was on it for 4 years). I did gain a bit of weight, my face broke out in the oddest pattern for I think a few months afterwards. My sex drive exploded for a bit (it wasn't low while on the pill). My cycle became shorter, from a 28 day cycle to a 21 day cycle. Nothing too terrible.

I am going back on the pill ( I have my prescription filled, just waiting for my period to start), this time min ovral. I'm 43, so I'll have to go back to the doctor regularly to have my blood pressure checked. I'll report back how it works out for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:05 am 
Chip Strong

So far min ovral is working out great. I had a bit of nausea the first week or two and that's been my only side effect. My blood pressure remains unchanged. I had read that it has a side effect of increased appetite but I've found my desire to overeat has largely lessened since being on it. My depression has improved too - so I think there was a large hormonal component to that. I also have found the broodiness/baby-lust has decreased substantially - I'm guessing because I'm not ovulating. Even if these are placebo - I don't care, I feel much better and that's what matters more than anything right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:01 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I went off birth control this month and want to replace it with FAM/charting my cycles. I am just using condoms right now each time, because I have no idea where I'm at in the cycle to start the chart. Should I just wait until my next period and go from there, or is there a better way to know where I am as of now?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:30 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

start now (just make a notation that the cycle days are off, or count it as chart #0, and toss it when the next cycle comes.)

the first 3 months will just be practice anyway, especially since your body will take a few months to be fully rid of the hormones from the pill. use condoms religiously for those first months, even if your chart is giving you dips and rises, and you have cervical fluid. just to be safe.

you'll likely have days where you forget to temp or write down your findings. these months are for getting you into the habit.

feel free to pop into the FAM thread if you have any other questions. (i don't always read this catch-all thread in a timely manner) viewtopic.php?f=25&t=284

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:27 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I've been giving Implanon/the birth control implant a lot of serious thought lately. I'm currently on the pill, but despite setting multiple alarms on my phone I am terrible at taking it on time. Implanon would be nice because it lasts for three years and I don't have to think about it every day. However, the possible side effects make me nervous.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:52 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

dakini wrote:
I've been giving Implanon/the birth control implant a lot of serious thought lately. I'm currently on the pill, but despite setting multiple alarms on my phone I am terrible at taking it on time. Implanon would be nice because it lasts for three years and I don't have to think about it every day. However, the possible side effects make me nervous.

I was on Implanon for three years, then when it was switched the brand changed to Nexplanon, which I've been on for a year. Personally, I found the side effects (and the constant worry/stress!) from the pill far worse than the implant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:02 am 

Imogen wrote:
dakini wrote:

I was on Implanon for three years, then when it was switched the brand changed to Nexplanon, which I've been on for a year. Personally, I found the side effects (and the constant worry/stress!) from the pill far worse than the implant.

That is good to know, thank you Imogen!
I did some more research last night and found out Implanon will likely be FREE once I have health insurance, as opposed to $800 out of pocket. Which will be super! I think I'm going to do this!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:51 am 
Chip Strong

nah, too personal.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:26 pm 

I ran out of my birth control pills a few weeks ago and I've been experiencing nausea, headaches, mood swings, and acne. Thankfully I have an appointment at PP on Thurs to get more but I was surprised to have such bad withdrawal symptoms. I should preface that by saying I take birth control to manage PCOS, so it isn't like I was going from birth control to a normal hormonal state. I still want to do the implant but I'm still without insurance so pills will have to do (much more affordable for now).

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:22 pm 

So I stopped my birth control (noriday, a POP) last month and had my period as usual -i got it monthly on it. Anyway four weeks later and I've been PMSing for a week but no period. I read that your cycle is weird after quitting BC but it is damn annoying. And since I had a period immediately after stopping I would have thought I'd get one now ...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:28 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I loved the depo shot- my boobs grew and i didnt get a period! took a while to get to that point tho, a lot of anxiety and spotting in the beginning.. alas i was already crazy tho. it does deplete the calcium in your bones tho and it started affecting me. Im currently taking super expensive calcium supplements and having to watch my diet bc of it.

Im on the patch now, works great. Prolly not healthy but u can manipulate your periods with it also, kinda cool for special events when ya want your downstairs unoccupied! Towards the end of the week they look like a gross old bandaid around the perimeter tho. not too sexy!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:36 am 
Tofu Pup

dakini wrote:
Imogen wrote:
dakini wrote:

That is good to know, thank you Imogen!
I did some more research last night and found out Implanon will likely be FREE once I have health insurance, as opposed to $800 out of pocket. Which will be super! I think I'm going to do this!

I had a Nexplanon fitted 2 1/2 weeks ago and so far so good! I was on day 2 of my period when it was fitted, but I stopped bleeding the next day, and since then I've had a couple of instances of slightly bloody discharge (TMI?) but no full on bleeding. The only side effect I've had is the occasional "5 seconds of PMS rage", but 5 seconds a week is better than 5 days of hell once a month.
I'd umm'ed and ahh'ed with having one fitted for a couple of years (I made the mistake of googling side effects once), but I'm bad at remembering to take pills and am too much of a wuss to have something in my uterus, so this was the best option, plus a couple of close friends told me that having Nexplanon was the best thing they'd done and their opinions count more than crazies on the internet. Though maybe I am a crazy on the internet to you ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:17 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Condoms suck so badly. Eugh, boy have I been spoiled the past few years.

I'm going to sew pockets into my underwear that fit 2 cell phones that just call each other back and forth. That should take care of the problem....or finally get that vasectomy. I think at 36 its safe to say this "dont want kids" thing is a real deal. Or if I change my mind I can go to the Human Rescue to get a kid.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:20 pm 

Sounds like a plan! (Not the phone solution.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:00 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just want to say that I hated my IUD at first, but now I love it. Especially because I may not have health insurance in 6 months. It's cheap and easy and my periods are the lightest they've ever been and pain free. Getting it in was a pain (I'm childless), but in the end it was so worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:34 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

My boyfriend had a vasectomy before we met, and it's seriously the best thing ever. He was nervous when he told me about it, but I felt like I'd won the birth control lottery.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:06 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm thinking of going on birth control to shorten my period. I can't find anything concrete on this as it seems to be a "may happen" sort of thing. Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't take 7 days of it anymore!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next