| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If your vitamin D was low how did you finally get it normal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:44 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have been taking prescription vitamin D supplements for months now. For the last 3-4 months 50,000 IU's weekly. Last year it was 17, then 19 earlier this year now at 21. Doc said after 3 months of vitamin D at 50,000 the levels should be really high now. I have another health problem that can't be addressed unless my vitamin D level gets up to 50.
I want to get it normal because I know one of my calcium levels is low and I cannot supplement it until I get off the prescription D.

Post subject: Re: If your vitamin D was low how did you finally get it nor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I've been taking one weekly megadose. My doctor wants me on that for at least a year to stabilize. My levels are creeping up, and she seems satisfied with that. I do have absorption issues.

Has your doctor tried to find out why you were so low?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:35 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Do you have any stomach issues? I find all the VitD supplements I've tried give me a dodgy tum and I don't absorb it. It only rises when I take codene (as a painkiller) and it helps my IBS issues.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:49 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I was also on prescription D2. My level started out at 19 (I forget what unit this is, but I think normal is 30+ or something?). I attribute it to the fact that I never leave the house without sunscreen. After 3 months of megadoses, my levels were good, although my doctor didn't tell me what the number was. I then switched to an over the counter D2 supplement that has 100% of the recommended daily amount. My levels have been good ever since.

If after several months of megadoses you're still deficient, maybe you have an absorbtion issue? It sounds like your doctor is doing a good job of monitoring your levels, but I would ask what s/he thinks is wrong at your next appointment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I had 8 weeks of megadoses (D2 50,000), then 1000 D3, then 2000 D3, then 4000 D3 daily. I had to keep going up with the daily doses because it was too low after going down to 1000. I think my levels started at 13. Now it's pretty good, I think. I can't remember how much time was between changing each D3 dose. I don't think they've ever really done a good job telling me why my D was so low. I have lived in the bright, sunny U.S. southwest my entire life. Every time I have a lab test, I ask them if they can just add vitamin D to the list, just to check it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just got a call from my drs office saying that I have a level of 33 and that is low. They want me to take 2000IU a day. Everywhere that I have read says that level is normal. My levels should be crazy high though because I just spent the entire summer outside in the sun and I usually never wear sunscreen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:45 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

my doctor also started me on Vitamin D3, 5000iu per day. I found a vegan, mushroom based one that's worked wonders. http://www.amazon.com/NatureS-Plus-Sour ... s=vegan+D3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:08 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I took 5000 IU of the vegan D3 MoniDew linked to. My level was at 7 when I started and in the 40s after about 3 months.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:24 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

enmommy wrote:
I just got a call from my drs office saying that I have a level of 33 and that is low. They want me to take 2000IU a day. Everywhere that I have read says that level is normal. My levels should be crazy high though because I just spent the entire summer outside in the sun and I usually never wear sunscreen.

Well, taking 2000 IU per day is not excessive, so you could follow their recs for a while and then get your levels checked again.