| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: low carb, grumble grumble
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:33 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Had a gastro recheck today. My biopsies were normal, doctor things that the series of intestinal infections just permanently rewired my GI tract in an uncomfortable way, and that I have cyclical nausea and vomiting syndrome and avoiding taking anti-emetics is actually the wrong thing to do.

Among various reasonable suggestions, such as taking peppermint capsules before meals, increasing zantac, and taking meds as soon as I start feeling nauseated before I'm overwhelmed, he suggested reducing the amount of carbs I'm eating to reduce bloating. He said some people produce too much bacteria in their gut, good or bad, and it feeds on carbs and causes bloating and discomfort. He said to try for a few weeks to reduce carbs and see if I feel any better. He didn't say to stop being vegan or anything... but uhm... how the hell do I do this vegan!? I don't feel like I eat a ton of carbs now, unless I am feeling sick then it's Saltine City. My diet is definitely very high fruit/veg, but of course fruit has carbs too so.. hm.. not sure how this works. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: low carb, grumble grumble
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You need IJDI!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

It can definitely be done. There's a German vegan bodybuilder who regularly does extremely low carb ketogenic diets. Here's a translation of how that diet works - http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... Scg5qwagag

I'd assume you wouldn't be as hardcore as that, but the gist is lots of tofu, seitan, soymilk, nuts and seeds, veggies and oils.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:28 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

The doctor didn't say NO carb or even super low carb, just reduce what I'm eating. I told him that it's kind of a trap though because I eat less carbs when I'm feeling well, and only when I'm feeling sick do I rely heavily on carbs because it's all I can stomach. He didn't say that I was eating too much now (I'm not overweight and my bloods are all good), just that some people have this bacteria problem that feeds off carbs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:49 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

rabidchild wrote:
The doctor didn't say NO carb or even super low carb, just reduce what I'm eating. I told him that it's kind of a trap though because I eat less carbs when I'm feeling well, and only when I'm feeling sick do I rely heavily on carbs because it's all I can stomach. He didn't say that I was eating too much now (I'm not overweight and my bloods are all good), just that some people have this bacteria problem that feeds off carbs.

I'm exactly the same, bad days are all about the carbs, any "wet foods" make me want to hurl. I know you probably don't want to hear it but I would reduce your fruit intake, the sugars in it won't be helping the fermenting/bloating in your gut at all. I'd also lean more towards (processed) tofu and less towards the high fibre beans for a while. If you simplify your diet (like am elimination diet) for a while you should be able to see your trigger foods quite easily with your symptoms. If you can bake some bad day breads & cookies with higher protein flour and stick them in the freezer it would give you better back up foods.

I'm in no way dietary trained but have had a lot of stomach issues over the years so they're just ideas to think about.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:38 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

fezza wrote:
rabidchild wrote:

I'm exactly the same, bad days are all about the carbs, any "wet foods" make me want to hurl. I know you probably don't want to hear it but I would reduce your fruit intake, the sugars in it won't be helping the fermenting/bloating in your gut at all. I'd also lean more towards (processed) tofu and less towards the high fibre beans for a while. If you simplify your diet (like am elimination diet) for a while you should be able to see your trigger foods quite easily with your symptoms. If you can bake some bad day breads & cookies with higher protein flour and stick them in the freezer it would give you better back up foods.

I'm in no way dietary trained but have had a lot of stomach issues over the years so they're just ideas to think about.

The only thing I don't want to hear is "you need to eat meat/dairy/eggs." I don't eat a TON of fruit - maybe 2 servings a day? I actually switched from ww bread to white bread (locally made sourdough - not like Wonder Bread or anything) to reduce my fiber intake a bit. I know exactly what you mean by "wet" foods too - ugh - just certain days dry and salty are the only things that are palatable. This leaves me with toast & eb, crackers, sometimes pasta & eb, or white rice. Tofu makes me gassier than beans, generally.

I think I'll try and figure out how to reduce carbs first (bad days notwithstanding), and if that does nothing, try other elimination trials. Stupid belly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:31 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

There are a few cookbooks. I'm not in love with any of them. And the honest answer is that you can't greatly reduce carbs on a vegan diet without eating several servings of soy.

Low Carb Vegetarian by Robin Robertson

The Vegetarian Low Carb Diet by Rose Elliot

The 30 Day Diabetes Miracle

The title on that last one especially sucks. But it has a ton of recipes and is all vegan. Of the three, I think it's the best. But really, I just use them for ideas and make my own recipes. I don't know why diet cookbooks always underseason everything.

Would eating several smaller meals help? So that you're eating smaller amounts of carbs at a time, but not changing your diet much?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:00 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Lupin beans are a low carb source of protein that might be worth investigating.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ok yea, I have crazy bacterial overgrowth in my small intestine. Apparently you aren't supposed to have bacteria in your small intestine, period. I've got to pick up some super expensive antibiotics and take those for 10 days, and this whole carb thing. My stomach is so sensitive though I just don't see how low carb is going to work. I can kind of see lunch and dinner... but breakfast.. ugh.. worst time of the day for me to eat. If I have a bad digestive day, the only thing I can think of is just not eating that day. Normally it would be toast or crackers or other things that don't make me want to barf... but barring that? My only real option is not eating those days, but the doctor is also concerned because I'm not "maintaining my weight." Apparently you're not supposed to weigh less at age 32 than you did in high school. I'm not sure how I'm going to maintain it BETTER without carbs. *headdesk*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:49 pm 
WRETCHED

My doctor told me that I should reduce my bean intake. He is vegetarian, supportive of veganism but I think he was trying to get me to lower my carbs as well. Tofu is all I can come up with.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:40 pm 

Did he give you target numbers? How low carb are you trying to be?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:14 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

That would be helpful, wouldn't it? No, he didn't.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:57 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

linanil wrote:
My doctor told me that I should reduce my bean intake. He is vegetarian, supportive of veganism but I think he was trying to get me to lower my carbs as well. Tofu is all I can come up with.

If you're supposed to go off beans then perhaps tofu isn't a good idea, either, since it's made from soybeans.

As for what you CAN eat, I have no idea, since everything I eat for breakfast is carbs, carbs and more carbs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:34 pm 

veggiesue wrote:
If you're supposed to go off beans then perhaps tofu isn't a good idea, either, since it's made from soybeans.

As for what you CAN eat, I have no idea, since everything I eat for breakfast is carbs, carbs and more carbs.

Unlike other beans, soybeans are really low carb.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

This vegan blog (anti-candida diet - no sugar no gluten) might be helpful, at least for recipes. She's been doing this for a long time and seems to have really good tips.

http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:21 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Does sound hard, eating low carb when you feel you can only eat crackers!

How about trying some nuts and seeds. They're low carb, dry and nutritious. You could also try making crackers or cookies from them. I've posted an almond meal cookie recipe in another thread. It tastes very carby, but it's not. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14421&p=395692&hilit=low+carb#p395692
I'm now working on a vegan low carb brownie recipe consisting largely of flax. The version I made today did not have enough chocolate/cacao in it, but the texture was great.

If you want to eat beans, try edamame. They have way less carb than other beans. Most green beans will have less carbs than fully ripened ones.

Other foods that are relatively low in carbs: olives, avocado, coconut, unsweetened cocoa, red fruit (blueberries, strawberries etc.), mushrooms, leafy vegetables (most vegetables are okay actually, just some tubers are really carby), seitan, tempeh, tofu etc. etc. etc.

For meal ideas, check out these links (they do have 'wet' breakfasts though, sorry!):
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/vegeta ... carb_3.htm
http://www.dsolve.com/news-aamp-info-ot ... th-recipes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:35 pm 
Tofu Pup

I know this was posted a long time ago, but I wanted to post about my experience with SIBO and carbs. I've found that some types of carbs are decidedly better than others--butternut squash over sweet potatoes, rice over corn or wheat or oats, and lentils and soy over any other kinds of legumes. Reducing my carbs by a lot has really helped my symptoms. I do most all of my baking with almond flour or coconut. I eat a LOT of coconut and avocado because if you're not eating many carbs you have to get calories/energy from somewhere! Also, I've found fruit--especially berries--is just fine by my tummy. Experimentation is key, I think, but it's definitely possible to figure out what to eat that makes you feel better!