| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Take your b12
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:47 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Thanks SC. I've been taking one made by gaia but i really don't feel like it's doing anything for me. it was recommended by a friend. i might have to look into yours.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:07 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

any time. :-) it gives me the burps, so that's why i take it at bedtime.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I am going to my doctor on Tuesday to see about getting b12 injections, because I have nearly all of the deficiency symptoms and my level was measured at 230 last week. However, in the meantime I've been trying to take my b12 pill every day. I've taken two, which adds up to 2000u, but I'm wondering if that's a waste. Sounds like some people are taking it every other day. Am I just wasting my expensive supplement by taking one or two every morning? I'm desperate to feel better. Plus they taste like cherry.

A colleague asked me if I should be eating eggs. I've been feeling so shitty that I considered it for a minute, but I know that's going to an extreme when the injections will probably help me get the levels up. I'm not going to stop being vegan after 8 years just because of this. Just bums me out!

I also eat a shitton of nooch, but I guess that didn't make a difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm pretty sure the nooch in NL is not B12 fortified. I've seen other B vitamins listed on the canister, but no B12.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to take high doses of supplements at one time. I could be wrong about this, but I think B12 is water soluble, so you may just be peeing a lot of it out if you take too much at once.

I hope your doctor helps you get this sorted, pickledtreats, and that you're feeling better soon!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:23 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Vegan rd Jack Norris recommends 2000 mcg cyanocobalamin daily to relieve deficiency, so I don't think it's a waste. If I remember correctly, these high doses work because your body absorbs the B12 directly, rather than through intrinsic factor, which is often lacking in people who are deficient. For many people high oral doses are a good alternative for injections, it can't hurt to try both methods if you are so desperate to get your levels up. Since your supplement tastes good, take it sublingually, so the B12 absorbtion starts right in your mouth.

You can read about how B12 is absorbed here: http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/dig

Lepelaar is right, Dutch nooch is not fortified with B12.

I hope you find a solution for your health troubles. I'm really sorry you have to deal with this shitty stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:12 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh interesting! I didn't realize the nooch here wasn't fortified.

I'm just going to keep taking the two pills sublingually while I wait to see the doc. Thanks ladies!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:03 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So a couple months ago my doc told me to stop taking my iron and b12 (he's an idiot) because my levels were middle normal. I honestly think that I should continue taking them because my diet has been crepe (so I'm missing iron) and my b12 was really low without pills. Is it a good idea to ignore my new doctor?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:15 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Vegan dietitians like the one I linked to above recommend that vegans supplement B12 continuously, since we usually do not have enough reliable sources of B12 in their diet to keep the levels up. Fortified plant milk and nooch don't cover the RDA with normal consumption.

Iron supplements can cause quite a bit of intestinal distress, but if they don't bother you too badly and you're worried your levels will drop if you stop taking them, I'd say go ahead and take them until you can improve your dietary intake. You could try to have high iron snacks like pumpkin seeds and dried apricots.

Disclaimer: random internet stranger here. I am not a doctor or a dietitian. Using my limited knowledge and common sense, just like you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:58 am 
Saggy Butt

Reading this thread, I'm starting to feel like a black sheep for never having taken any B12 supplements. So many of the foods I eat are fortified, so I haven't really been concerned about it. Silk almond milk is 50% DV per cup, so with cereal in the morning and a smoothie sometime during the day I hit 100%+ A lot of energy bars and other things I like to snack on are fortified out the wazoo, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:32 am 
Bathes in Braggs

It really depends on what you eat I guess. I typically have less than one cup of fortified milk a day and no other fortified products. Most nooch and energy bars in Europe aren't fortified. My diet mainly consists of vegetables, legumes, grains and a daily allowance of accidentally vegan junk food.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:55 am 

What cornelie said. I jump between 3 continents Happivore (US, EU and India), and vegan foods are pretty much only fortified in the US. I also never took supplements when I lived there, and had to learn the hard way when I started living abroad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:02 am 
Saggy Butt

Good point about the differences in countries. I should probably consider taking some with me when I move to Japan shortly--I doubt the nondairy milks there are fortified like in the US.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:25 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

finnophile wrote:
So a couple months ago my doc told me to stop taking my iron and b12 (he's an idiot) because my levels were middle normal. I honestly think that I should continue taking them because my diet has been crepe (so I'm missing iron) and my b12 was really low without pills. Is it a good idea to ignore my new doctor?

Yeah, unless you just started taking the supplements, they are likely the reason your levels are normal. Especially the B12, if it has been low in the past and you don't have another reliable source (fortified foods). I would keep taking them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:06 am 
WRETCHED

I'd also say that if you screw up your B-12 levels, it can mean permanent brain damage so... it is better to supplement than not.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:57 am 

it's possible your doc doesn't know what vegan means, or possibly where B12 comes from. it's very likely you know more than him in these areas. the time they spend learning about nutrition is laughable.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:10 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I plan on taking the b12 again I don't eat a lot of fortified foods (other than milk). I'm thinking the lack of b12 may be causing a mood disorder to act up. I miss my doc that would actually listen to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:15 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

lutin wrote:
What cornelie said. I jump between 3 continents Happivore (US, EU and India), and vegan foods are pretty much only fortified in the US. I also never took supplements when I lived there, and had to learn the hard way when I started living abroad.

That must depend on where you are in the EU. In Portugal I can buy fortified plant milks (Alpro) and cereal (Weetabix Branflakes was the only one I could find that contained B12 but no D3/honey/whey/other crepe) and I buy fortified nooch (Marigold's Engevita with B12) online from the UK.

I've also been supplementing every other day with 500mcg of methylcobalamin B12 for the month that I've been vegan. After reading this thread I've realised that a) that isn't enough and b) it's the wrong sort. Better than nothing until I find a better source though, right?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:10 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Yeah, if you're taking methylcobalamin, the dieticians recommend 1000 mcg daily. You could take two of your pills every day.

The thing with the fortified products is that you need to consume quite a lot to meet the RDA. The Alpro soymilk here is fortified too, but you'd need to drink more than a liter a day to get sufficient B12 from it. It's cheaper to just take a pill.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:35 pm 

Cornelie wrote:
Yeah, if you're taking methylcobalamin, the dieticians recommend 1000 mcg daily. You could take two of your pills every day.

The thing with the fortified products is that you need to consume quite a lot to meet the RDA. The Alpro soymilk here is fortified too, but you'd need to drink more than a liter a day to get sufficient B12 from it. It's cheaper to just take a pill.

Uggggggh I guess I better check what kind I am taking. I have only been taking mine every few days because I heard that was a really high dose. Ugh.

The information is so confusing, it seems like every other thing I read conflicts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:08 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Even though I started this thread; I haven't been taking a supplement for about 8 months. I am having my blood tested weekly for another reason, and I always have way more than enough B12. It's weird--I don't even really eat that much fortified stuff (but I do take a multi), so I must be getting all that B12 from marmite and nooch.

I know supplies can deplete rapidly, but since I have regular blood tests I'm kind of experimenting here. I do eat a LOT of marmite and nooch, and even though everyone says you don't absorb any B12 from foods, I'm pretty sure I do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:27 pm 
***LIES!!!***

supercarrot wrote:
it's possible your doc doesn't know what vegan means, or possibly where B12 comes from. it's very likely you know more than him in these areas. the time they spend learning about nutrition is laughable.

For real. Ignore any doctor who tells a vegan to stop supplementing b12. Iron is different; theoretically you shouldn't supplement unless you personally are prone to anemia, because there are a lot of potential negatives. But if you are just middle of the range with supplementation, you are probably fine to continue. I never used to take iron and was totally fine until I was pregnant, since then I can't seem to keep my levels up except with supplementation. Iron seems like a very individual thing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:21 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I feel tired a lot so I'm wondering if it could be related to my b12 levels? I drink fortified plant milks and take a multivitamin every so often, as well as putting nutritional yeast in lots of my meals, but I don't know if that's enough.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:40 am 
Bathes in Braggs

If you're worried about your B12 status, the best thing you can do is get tested. While you're in the doctor's office, ask them to test the other likely suspects too, mainly vitamine D and iron. Keep in mind that your tiredness could have a million other causes than lack of B12.

In the mean time, it does sound like you might not be getting enough B12 in your diet, so even if you're not deficient (yet), it's a good idea to start taking a supplement regularly. The B12 dosis in multivitamins is often much too low. Vegan dieticians advise 25 to 100 mcg B12 daily or 1000 mcg twice a week. If you are someone who takes supplements 'every so often', the twice a week option is probably best. Start with 2000 mcg daily for a week or two and then dial down to the maintenance dose. Also check whether your nutritional yeast is actually fortified, because it might not be.

Hope you feel better soon!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8