| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Social Security / Disability Benefits
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:34 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Hey guys, does anyone have experience with applying for/being on SS disability in the US?

my doctor mentioned it a couple times as an option because I'm about to have a lot of trouble getting good coverage re:health insurance (turning 26, thanks america) and a few of my jobs are really forking my body up, and I would probably qualify if I were to apply.
I'm worried about a lot of things, like and limitations on how much you can work (my paycheck fluctuates aggressively month to month because all of my jobs are like... short contract? except the teaching I do which I would really hate to give up, anyway, I have no like "regular paycheck of a certain amount" that would fall within or outside of the restrictions.)

anyway, let me know if you have any experience and if you don't want to post publicly please feel free to PM me!

Thank you!
boober

I have a blog: https://emmelinecady.wordpress.com
art: http://emmelinesolomon.tumblr.com

Post subject: Re: Social Security / Disability Benefits
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:10 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Have you read the handbook on SSDI? I practice law in Wisconsin dealing with SSDI and how it interacts with other public benefits, so I can't give you legal advice, but I find the handbook is very helpful. If you want, I can send you the electronic version. I may need an actual email address to send it to, so PM me if you'd like it.

I can also give it a look this weekend and see if I can give you the layman's terms of employment while getting SSDI.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:16 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Actually realized I could just post the link for the handbook: https://www.socialsecurity.gov/OP_Home/ ... k-toc.html

I'll still work on making it understandable this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I am on disability. The booklet will have answers on the income part but if you have any other questions about what the application process is like or need support or anything else fee free to PM me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:05 pm 

thank you!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:10 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

At my job we help people apply a lot (I don't do it myself, though) and we have some helpful resources, I'll look and see what I can find.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If there is a place that does services for people with disabilities they should be able to help you with the process.

Also, there are exceptions but Medicare doesn't start until two years after you start receiving benefits. (Yikes, it used to be a year.) You might qualify for Medicaid in the meantime.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:13 pm 

yeah I'd have to be on medicaid while waiting for medicare.

I guess I was also wondering: are there things about being on it that are frustrating?/not good? like do you run in to certain problems once you're on it that you wouldn't otherwise?

and yes totally there are services and people who would be able to help me apply and stuff! I mean it's obviously still a crapshoot but if I did decide to apply, I'm lucky in that my disease and symptoms are spelled out specifically in the "diseases that get u benefits" section and I have a shitton of very definitive bloodwork and scans and doctors repping for me and stuff. I mean, I know a lot of people have all this and still get rejected because the system is a nightmare, but I'm less worried about that and more worried about getting on it and then regretting it? It's possibly a stupid worry.

I also qualify for some of the very low-cost insurance via obamacare which is what i'll be on in the interim, but they only cover my horrible poison drugs and don't cover any of the other things I have to take to make sure those dont actually kill me, which is a frightening insight re: how much our healthcare system doesn't care about preventative medicine.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:23 pm 

yeah I'd have to be on medicaid while waiting for medicare.

I guess I was also wondering: are there things about being on it that are frustrating?/not good? like do you run in to certain problems once you're on it that you wouldn't otherwise?

and yes totally there are services and people who would be able to help me apply and stuff! I mean it's obviously still a crapshoot but if I did decide to apply, I'm lucky in that my disease and symptoms are spelled out specifically in the "diseases that get u benefits" section and I have a shitton of very definitive bloodwork and scans and doctors repping for me and stuff. I mean, I know a lot of people have all this and still get rejected because the system is a nightmare, but I'm less worried about that and more worried about getting on it and then regretting it? It's possibly a stupid worry.

I also qualify for some of the very low-cost insurance via obamacare which is what i'll be on in the interim, but they only cover my horrible poison drugs and don't cover any of the other things I have to take to make sure those doesn't actually kill me, which is a frightening insight re: how much our healthcare system doesn't care about preventative medicine.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What kind of problems? I mean the biggest problem I have is people definitely have prejudice against people on it but I suspect that is more applicable to me becaise I have it for a psychiatric illness, not a physical one and people perceive that as not being real. Other than that I really haven't had any problems because of it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So I realized I refer to this website a ton because it does a pretty good job of laying things out: http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/page1-13.html

Way more helpful than my convoluted attempt to rephrase it.

I hope you can find a way that works for you. Also, don't be surprised if they take forever to make a determination or deny you at least once; for some reason I see a lot of people who are denied the first time or two and then are eventually approved and get a lump sum of back pay. The appeals process is definitely worthwhile if you're denied initially.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:14 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Multiple times I've seen people recommend that being denied the first time as being the norm (depending on disability) when applying for disability. Appealing is definitely in your best interest if you are denied.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:23 pm 

yeah everyone I know who has ever been on it has been denied at least once!! our system is ridiculous!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I got it first time I applied. But it was a long time ago. People were still surprised though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:59 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My husband was approved the first time around. Also, it was approved retroactively and he received funds for the previous year when he should have been already receiving disability. Quite a shocker to see that in our bank account...