| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Depression, anti-d's and libido
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:43 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Just curious of peoples experience and knowledge of dif. anti-depressants. Ive only ever been on prozac and want to talk to my doctor about making changes. I have been really down, and having difficulty getting my shiitake together. I also feel guilt about my lack of sex drive. My boyfirend is luckily very understanding but I really wish I wanted and could enjoy it more. Just having sex doesn't make me want to more. I think it makes me dislike it more. And i know that both the depression or potential antidepressants are not gonna help the issue. On top of this I worry about weight gain.

Experiences with med's? Advice for libido?

Post subject: Re: Depression, anti-d's and libido
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm on venlafaxine and when I am on that alone I have a sex drive. Combined with mirtazapine I have none whatsoever.

Just started on amitryptilline and apparently that kills it as well but since I am a miserable cow at the moment I have no idea what way it is with my sex drive.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:40 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I've been on various psych meds for 15+ years. I think discussing your concerns with your doctor is a great idea. Due to the way psych meds work and the part of the brain that they impact, it is hard to avoid sexual side effects, but some formulas have reportedly fewer side effects than others. You may have to try a few different ones before you find the one that is best for you, but your mental health is worth it! You may also consider pairing your psych meds with therapy.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:15 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've been on many ADs and have found Wellbutrin has the lowest side effects as far as libido goes. I've had varying degrees of effects with different mess. Even the same med at different times in my life has acted differently.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:06 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

i know this is a bit old, but I thought I'd still chime in. My libido is 0. my boyfriend is extremely understand, we haven't had sex in well over a year which i feel like is bad for relationships in general but i just dont want it, and he doesn't want to if I dont want to. I've changed my meds a bunch of times without success. I'm getting desperate, and my doctor must be, too, because she recommended I try Maca Root which has some scientific evidence with increasing libido. She said wellbutrin has the lowest side effects, she added it to my regimen and it didnt work but I think I'm just on too much. So depending on what you are on/what you need, you might be able to switch/add on wellbutrin. definitely talk to your doctor! good luck! i'll be feasting on maca root in the meantime....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:16 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Paxil taught me the word "inorgasmia." Plus I started having weird, weird speech/learning problems and never felt less depressed.

Jedi hugs to this whole thread. Depression is tough enough without piling on side effects.