| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vitamin D supplementation
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:24 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Are you still taking the weekly megadose with gelatin capsules? I've been taking the vegan Vitashine D3 for about a year now and my levels are good. I do still need to take 5000 iu daily to keep them up, but several vegan doctors have told me daily doses work better in the long run.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yep, but I've got some serious absorption issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:09 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My vitamin D is super low. My dr had me on the mega dose bit I couldn't tolerate it- dizziness, headaches, constipation. Even with a lower daily dose I was getting constipation and bloating? if I recall correctly. And I gave up. Meh. I am very very sensitive to all supplements. :/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:44 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ugh. i had my physical last week and although my dr never bothered to call me am rx for the megadose of Vit D was called into the pharmacy for me so i assume im low.
i have no idea nwhat my numbers are and im going to try and get a copy of my bloodwork results mailed to me but for right now all i know is the megadose rx was called in for me.

so here's my question. why the heck am i deficient? yes i understand almost everyone is deficient and especially those of us who live in the northeast. but ive been taking 1000IU during the summer and i just bumped it up to 2000IU daily a couple weeks ago now that it's fall.
im also outside for over an hour every day walking. in the summer that meant shorts and a tank top. now the only thing exposed is my face and hands but that is more recent.
i will say that the walking trail is a bit shaded though.
why am i low enough to warrant and MEGADOSE.
ugh.
the last time i took the megadose several years ago i got migraines from it.

i used to take D3 but my understanding from another thread which i couldnt find was that D2 should be fine as long as you dont have something else going on like an absorption problem. although the megadose i got is D2 (in a gel capsule! d'oh!)

i switched to D2 because i believe as of last year's bloodwork i was totally fine.

one last thing to throw into the mix, i just had a baby six months ago and have been breastfeeding her since. however my understanding was that baby's get not much D from your milk since we are (the adults) deficient so baby's also now get vit D supplements.

should i switch to D3?
the Rx for my megadose says once a week for 12 weeks then every 2 weeks so i guess i can stay on rx D2 but if it gives me migraines again i will be stopping it immediately again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:37 pm 
***LIES!!!***

You don't have to be all that low to warrant the "megadose." Pregnancy and nursing could be enough to push you into deficiency, but it could also just be that you were borderline all along and have now just dipped enough that it makes sense to supplement more seriously. I didn't find 2000IU/day to be enough for me to stay above deficiency. I think even with being outside a lot without sunscreen that we are at a high enough latitude to be getting not quite enough D production from the sun and sometimes it just takes a lot of supplementation to see a bump. I reversed my pretty serious deficiency on 5000IU/day of vegan (or veganish, I think the brand I was using actually got its veganity debunked - something early in the production isn't vegan. but I know there are now legitimate vegan versions of) D3. I did that while pregnant. If I had to do it again I might just go for the 50KIU D2 prescription, it'd be way cheaper.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:33 pm 
Inflexitarian

I also get to take a megadose prescription. I have been taking D2 on my own, 2000 IU/day and apparently my levels are really low. I also now have to get b12 shots weekly, take a multi vitamin twice a day and a few other things. I have serious absorption issues. It really tees me off because I eat super healthy. I rarely go a day without eating a ton of spinach, carrots, broccoli, some kind of nut. I just don't get it. I also work outside all summer long in the sun. What the heck body? What more do you want???

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

thanks for reminding me to get mine rechecked. I took 12 weeks of 50,000 IU and raised my level from 5 to 15, but then i slacked off and it went back down to 8, so my doc told me to take 5000 a day for 4 months then switch to 2000/d. i took 5000/d for 6 months and now i'm on 2000, so i should go get it checked out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:49 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My Multi vit/multi mineral contains 100% of the RDA of D2 plus I have fortified soya milk. So I thought I'd be fine. Then I kept feeling awful. Got my bloods checked & everything was great except D levels.
I was just under 30 even though I was on supposedly 100% of RDA.
I took Vitashine D3 5000IU for 3 months, plus I was in the sun for most of the day walking or wildlife watching. Re tested & my levels are 95. I've now decided to stay on my multi vit/mineral with the D2 & on a D3 supplement of 2500IU to see me over the winter as I live in the frozen north & rarely get sunshine. I will cut back on D3 probably to 1000 IU when the sun returns next year.

I definitely think D3 is the way to go. I recommend vitashine it's really worked for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:29 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

For those people with absorption issues, there are a number of things that can have an effect on your absorption even if you're supplementing consistently and getting a lot of sun.

assilembob, do you have digestive issues that you know about? Digestive problems can cause both malabsorption of both B12 and D.

I'm going to have to get checked again because I know I tend to come in low. I'm bad about supplementing (like I went months without doing so because I couldn't find my vitamins) and I live in Northern Europe, and I spend more time indoors than outdoors. But first I need to find a GP.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:02 pm 
Inflexitarian

lepelaar wrote:
For those people with absorption issues, there are a number of things that can have an effect on your absorption even if you're supplementing consistently and getting a lot of sun.

assilembob, do you have digestive issues that you know about? Digestive problems can cause both malabsorption of both B12 and D.

I'm going to have to get checked again because I know I tend to come in low. I'm bad about supplementing (like I went months without doing so because I couldn't find my vitamins) and I live in Northern Europe, and I spend more time indoors than outdoors. But first I need to find a GP.

I have massive digestive issues that can not be determined. I've eliminated things, added things, taken supplements, had thousands of tests run...
My sister has the same realm of issues. Lots of acid reflux, bloating, gas etc. We've eliminated all the usual suspects and then some and nothing changed. Hers is by far worse in terms of acid reflux than mine. She takes three Nexium a day just so she can eat anything at all.

Sometimes I chock it up to genetics: we have crepe for genetics. We can literally check every friggin disease off on the family history. I eat very healthy. I do binge eat occasionally and used to (and rarely still) purge. I know that had a HUGE effect on my issues and why I have a lot of the problems I do have. My sister never did any of that though.

Last time she had her D checked she was so low they told her to supplement 100000 I/U a day for two weeks. Right now they just have me doing 50,000 I/U twice a week plus my usual 20,000 I/U daily. I have to have my levels re-checked after the new year, when I go in for my 3 month thyroid blood panel.

She can even check her blood at work herself and told me once that when she looks at her blood slides they are just abnormal in general. But she doesn't know enough about human cells to properly analyze them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i got my bloodwork results in the mail.
my vit D was 16 ng/mL and the range is 30-100 so according to the paper i am "insuffiecient" rather than "deficient"
the funny thing is that when my husband had his bloodwork done his vit D was 17 and his dr didnt even tell him to take a vitamin. meanwhile i get a megadose :-P

so far so good with the megadose. i took the first dose yesterday and didnt get a migraine so maybe that was just a coincidence last time. if it doesnt make me sick i have no issue taking the megadose. it's less pills for me to take and like Ariann said it's cheaper.

it cost me $6 for i think a 3 month supply. after 3 month i only have to take it every other week rather than every week.

i was pretty psyched looking at my bloodwork results as my B12 is AWESOME. i was worried about that not only because im vegan but im also nursing a baby and her only supply of B12 comes from me so if i was deficient that wouldnt be good for her!

the range for b12 is 182-803 and i am 638.
YIPPPEEEEE!!!!

my overall cholesterol is a tad high which is a bummer. my LDL (bad) cholesterol is low so yeah on that but my overall total score was 234 and acceptable is less than 200.
i didnt do the bloodwork fasting though because after my dr appt the lab was inexplicably closed so i had to go back later and i spaced out and got a peppermint mocha from starbucks (sugar bomb!) and ate lunch.
however that shouldnt have effected my cholesterol level should it? i dont eat anything with dietary cholesterol in it.
it definitely affected my sugar level (duh) but at least i know why.

my iron was also good. woot!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:40 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Does anyone have a good sublingual, liquid, or chewable tablet/gummy form of Vitamin D they recommend? My boyfriend doesn't tolerate swallowing pills well, so this would make life much much easier.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:23 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Vitashine comes in a spray form.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:43 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Vitashine tablets have a lemony taste and are okay to chew or suck on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:11 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I have the Vitashine spray and it doesn't have a noticeable taste, I can recommend it!