| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat May 30, 2015 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vision woes
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:21 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

tell me about your eyes going bad!

I have an optometrist appointment in january to get a new prescription (even though it's only been a year since my last one) because in the past ~6months my eyes have been getting much worse then they have ever been, to the point where I couldn't read the directional overhead signs (y'know the big ones that say "baking needs" or "pasta" or whatever) in the grocery store last week without getting close and squinting at them. I know this is a part of aging (okay, i'm 23, but aging is still a thing!) I've needed corrective lenses since I was ~9y/o, they've been getting slightly worse every two years, and my dad is legally blind without glasses so I know what is coming, but this recent and very sudden downturn is a lot more aggressive and it is SUPER BUMMING ME OUT because I work/live/need to be in a visual field of study.

anyway, tell me about your eyes going off, lets share our almost-blind aggravation!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://emmelinesolomon.tumblr.com

Post subject: Re: vision woes
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I had Lasek a few years ago, but now my eyes have changed such that I can't see signage like you describe without squinting. And now I'm older and much more aware of how that squinting is going to lead to further wrinkling! I got glasses to wear at movies, etc but I have never liked glasses, and used to wear contacts all the time before Lasek. Also, due to the aforementioned aging issue, I will need bi-focals or progressive lenses soon enough. I'm squeaking by for now because of the differences between my two eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:11 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I had a big jump in prescription when I was 23 (I'm 25 now) and it turned out that I was spending too much time focusing up close and it was apparently weakening my eyes. I got prescription reading glasses that I swap out for my distance glasses now when I am reading and just have to be careful about exercising my eyes...maybe you're going through something similar? I hope you can get it sorted properly!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

booberthefraggle wrote:
anyway, tell me about your eyes going off, lets share our almost-blind aggravation!

So, a couple of years ago (like 4 years now?) I started going blind in one eye out of stress, and I had to have eyeball chromolaser surgery (or something like that, involving dye and lasers and a thing glued to my eyeball and the worst experience I've had in a while and they offered me valium but then didn't give me any and I just about freaked out good :( :( :( ...). That has had a lasting effect, although it's been slowing healing. The end result is that my right eye went from being my slightly-better eye to being my slightly-worse eye, and I still get distortion such that vertical lines twist and turn in front of me if I look through just that eye. But it's getting better.

Meanwhile, my nearsightedness, which I've had since I was in 2nd grade, has stopped getting worse! Yay! This is because apparently at about 40 nearsightedness stops getting worse and then suddenly you start losing NEAR vision! Yay! I've noticed recently, while working on tiny little things, that now I have to take off my glasses to look at them, and I'm no longer about to work with tiny details like I could 5 years or so ago. So that's fun, I guess. I'm heading for bifocals. Yay. B(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:28 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

i have bad vision tooo...

up until i was 20, my optometrist didn't add my severe astigmatism to my prescription, so even though i had glasses, i couldn't see well, which was a big forking deal because i am also in a visual field and couldn't even tell if a photo had sharp focus. in critiques, everyone would comment on how 'quirky' my work was, but it was because i couldn't see anything! grrrr.

then there was the time i had an allergic reaction to my contacts and developed scar tissue on my eyeballs, which didn't get treated for half a year because the same optometrist diagnosed it as a infection and i also reacted to the antibiotics that i was on for an extended period of time because they didn't clear up the infection, because well, it wasn't an infection. so i had to go on steroids for like, a year, but i still have problems if my eyes get irritated/dry. so when it's bad, i can see things far away but none of the edges are sharp, if that makes any sense.

my new eye issue is that i have to find a way to play roller derby without having to wear glasses, because it is really bad news if you get hit in the face and there are all sorts of horror stories of people with glasses stuck in their face and it's pretty awful. i might have to get sport goggles?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:03 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

solipsistnation wrote:

Meanwhile, my nearsightedness, which I've had since I was in 2nd grade, has stopped getting worse! Yay! This is because apparently at about 40 nearsightedness stops getting worse and then suddenly you start losing NEAR vision!

Mid 40's here, nearsightedness has not stopped getting worse! So this doesn't work for everyone, just so y'all youngins know. Of course I'm losing near vision too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:13 am 
Discovered unobtainium

My prescription went up/down/up/down for a few years in my twenties and settled back about where it had been. I always had sudden changes in my prescription though so it seemed normal to me.

I have a lazy eye and that's been a lot worse lately, to the point that driving is scary unless I always keep one eye closed. Otherwise, I see double images converging and can't see the road. As long as I only look out of either my lector right, all is fine. Seems only while driving though, mostly on roads with any sort of curve. I'm fine reading, etc. Optometrist referred me to an ophthalmologist, but I don't want to know what that will cost, and there has never been much they could do. My parents went into debt when I was a kid trying to help this problem and it was all a waste of thousands of dollars they didn't have.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:37 am 
Semen Strong

My eyes have improved dramatically since becoming a stay at home mom and turning 40. Weird.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:42 am 
Married to the wolfman

My nearsightedness seems to not be getting worse over the past two years or so, but now I'm also developing farsightedness. Bifocals ahoy!

My big problem though is that I have become extremely, extremely susceptible to eye strain. forking everything seems to cause it now. By the end of the day, I often can't really see because of it. It was so bad for a while that I thought I was actually going blind.

Sleeping enough (ha ha ha) and taking frequent eye breaks (from whatever, just anything where my eyes are on the same thing a long time) seems to help a lot.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:10 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

i have a pretty bad astigmatism in one eye, (which used to be lazy when i was a kid. i had to wear an eye patch) but if it's still even slightly lazy, i can't really tell because my brain might not recognize that part of the overlapping vision space. i do unfocus my eyes sometimes when watching TV.

i don't do any corrective stuff anymore. i don't enjoy wearing glasses, and i'm uncomfortable with wearing a contact. they both kinda give me headaches. i hadn't used anything for correction in over 15 years, so i'm doing fine. i do however occasionally get red scratchy veiny eyes, and it scares me a bit. especially if it happens in my right/good eye.. it tends to happen if i do too much computer stuff in one day. i make sure to have eye wash available at all times, and wash whenever i have scary redness. sometimes takes a few days to clear up.

i am curious what my acuity is though. i can probably do it myself with a printable eye chart at home. i wonder if it's better that i don't do any correction. (like if the glasses are doing the correcting, doesn't it then make your eyes less strong/capable of working as well as they would have on their own?)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:01 am 
WELFARIST!

Being a PhD student has made my vision much worse. In March, I finally broke down and bought glasses so I could read slides at conferences/big lecture halls, but in the 6-ish months I've had them, my vision went from "pretty much ok except for giant lecture halls" to "pretty much terrible" and I have to wear my glasses all the time now. (I'm pretty bitter about that since I get vision headaches allllllllll the time now, wearing glasses --> headache, not wearing glasses --> different headache, etc. etc. etc.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:43 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Fizzgig wrote:
I had a big jump in prescription when I was 23 (I'm 25 now) and it turned out that I was spending too much time focusing up close and it was apparently weakening my eyes. I got prescription reading glasses that I swap out for my distance glasses now when I am reading and just have to be careful about exercising my eyes...maybe you're going through something similar? I hope you can get it sorted properly!

oh this sounds really reasonable and like what could possibly be happening.
I wear glasses all the time, my vision is already pretty bad (the sign illegibility I described is WITH glasses for distance) and it stresses me out a lot to not be able to see, but I also do a lot of up-close work so this seems reasonable! I am going to pretend this is the issue so I don't freak out about going blind forever :)

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://emmelinesolomon.tumblr.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:44 am 
Dead by dawn

I startes wearing glasses for nearsightedness when I was 10 and the prescription got progressively worse until I was maybe 30, 31. Since then (I'm 43) one eye is unchanged and the other is actually a quarter power better. My near vision is starting to be compromised so bifocals are in my future. It's fine when I am not wearing glasses or contacts but as long as my distance is corrected the close up stuff is suffering. My aunt wears a contact correcting her nearsightedness in one eye and one correcting her age-related farsightedness in the other and her brain just learned to adapt to that and coose which eye to interpret stimuli from depending on where she's focusing, which is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:57 am 
WELFARIST!

Brains are often cool.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:02 am 
WRETCHED

I used to work with a lady that had a near sighted and far sighted contact as well.

Mr Nil found that bifocals are a bigger pain than they are worth so he has 3 pairs of glasses.

1) Computer glasses
2) Near sighted
3) Far sighted

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:39 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Well.......congenital glaucoma....blind in one eye and losing peripheral vision in the other! Wooo!

But I mean, Brie has no eyes so I can't complain too much.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

24, glaucom, horrible eye sight, not looking forward to the future of my eyes. scared every day, pain in both eyes all the time, etc etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:46 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i hit 40 this year and my iriginally 20/200 and 20/80 vision is now 20/100 and 20/60 or something ridiculous (i attribute it to super vegan powers). still not enough to drive with, but sort of amazing.
i am not afraid of too much but losing my vision is one thing that would do it for me. I am always amazed that i can still wear contacts because, well, shiitake, i've been wearing contacts around the clock for 20 years now. but so far, so good. buying those super expensive silicon lenses was the best thing i've done in a while. just got glasses thinking it was about time to go back to glasses (the next step in my rosacea, if my mother is any indicator, is ocular rosacea, where i get granulation tissue in my eyes and contacts will be a no-go, so i want to be prepared) and after about 3 hours of having shitty peripheral vision i said naaaah, we'll use these when we need them, and only then.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:19 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just really hate glasses (I think they look awesome on all people, but they make me super nauseated), so I overwear my contacts, and I am an evil person to my eyes because I quite often sleep with them in because I really get freaked out when I wake up and I can't see. Everyone in my family has bad vision that just gets worse as you age, so I doubt there is a lot of hope for me. BUT I do recognize how incredibly amazing it is that I can just pop some contacts in and have perfect vision, so I'm grateful for that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just switched from contacts to glasses after a few years and it already feels a bit better, less itchy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

vijita wrote:
I just really hate glasses (I think they look awesome on all people, but they make me super nauseated), so I overwear my contacts, and I am an evil person to my eyes because I quite often sleep with them in because I really get freaked out when I wake up and I can't see. Everyone in my family has bad vision that just gets worse as you age, so I doubt there is a lot of hope for me. BUT I do recognize how incredibly amazing it is that I can just pop some contacts in and have perfect vision, so I'm grateful for that.

Please don't do this! I used to for the same reasons, and came close to doing damage to my eyes. After switching to dailies, my eyes are back to normal now.

I just got new fancy lenses that are made out of some new material, but am blanking on the name. They are too expensive, but astonishingly comfortable. I'll have to mix them in with cheaper ones, but on days I'll have them in a long time, they are amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:14 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Lucky me, I've been wearing progressive lenses for the last several years. I absolutely hate them. I just never seem to be able to see well. My eyes are super strained all the time, and really sensitive to overhead light (and probably too much computer time). Next time I think I'll do what wretched mentioned above and get separate glasses for distance, reading and computer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:28 am 
Seagull of the PPK

lw, sounds like the silicon ones. they have really made a difference for me, and they seem to be indestructible, since in a year i haven't torn one (very unusual for me).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:17 pm 
WRETCHED

von m wrote:
Lucky me, I've been wearing progressive lenses for the last several years. I absolutely hate them. I just never seem to be able to see well. My eyes are super strained all the time, and really sensitive to overhead light (and probably too much computer time). Next time I think I'll do what wretched mentioned above and get separate glasses for distance, reading and computer.

Yeah, my husband has progressives and hated them. He would definitely get headaches and what not. I highly recommend separate glasses.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:26 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I got LASIK just over a year ago. Before that I'd been relying on glasses or contacts for near-sightedness for over 20 years, with my sight steadily degrading by -.25 to -.5 in each eye every two years or so. The cost for me balanced out in terms of LASIK vs. buying new glasses every 2 years for the next couple of decades, but ultimately the improvement in my quality of life made it totally worthwhile. I no longer have to choose between swimming and seeing. I had a blast not worrying/caring about my glasses on the beach when I went to Hawaii this year. I can drift off to sleep in the middle of a movie on my couch and not wake up with plastic jabbed into my face. And if, goodness forbid, something disastrous were to happen, I wouldn't be completely helpless if I were to lose my glasses.

Norton's Movie Maps