| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Flu Shot?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:10 pm 
Inflexitarian

As I type this I am on day 4 of the flu. I am actually allergic to eggs so despite the ethical implications, flu shots are out for me. While on the phone with my mother today, she mentioned that she's heard a vegan flu shot is in the works. Has anyone else heard of this? I did some light googling but didn't come up with much other than it saying the flu shot isn't vegan because of the egg incubation. I'm wondering if I've missed some key news? OR is my mom just nutso.

Post subject: Re: Vegan Flu Shot?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:17 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

As far as I'm aware, no vaccine can be on the market without having gone through animal testing drug trials, just like all medicines, so I don't think a truly vegan flu shot is a possibility.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:24 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

There are influenza vaccines produced using animal cell cultures on the market right now--Preflucel, for example.

Not available in the US, as far as I can tell.

And they're probably cultured in serum, so....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:15 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Still not vegan, but it looks like a flu shot was just approved by the FDA that is not cultured in eggs:

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/2 ... -flu-shot/

It's made using animal cell cultures, like the one mumbles mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

There are experiments with GM plants for plant-based vaccines. http://www.gsnmagazine.com/node/26878

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:10 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

assilembob wrote:
I did some light googling but didn't come up with much other than it saying the flu shot isn't vegan because of the egg incubation.

My opinion is that when you need something for your health, the "veganness" of something is less important.

I have asthma which seems to be a risk factor, and the general advice is that I should get a flu shot. I don't do that and rely on warm clothes, garlic and ginger.
(a flu shot doesn't guarantee that I won't get the flu)

Maybe a flu shot "isn't vegan", but the same goes for b12 blood tests and band-aids.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This year is my first year in a long, long time not getting the flu vaccine. My manager in the last place I worked never passed on the vaccination clinic dates to me so I missed them and then I was out of work so it wasn't a priority. Praying I don't get hit with anything this year since I'm asthmatic and when I get something I get hit really bad. Hoping me being off dairy will work in my favour since my severe lactose intolerance was the main reason I used to get so sick.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:36 am 
Inflexitarian

Ruby Rose wrote:
As far as I'm aware, no vaccine can be on the market without having gone through animal testing drug trials, just like all medicines, so I don't think a truly vegan flu shot is a possibility.

By that I mean doesn't have egg or dairy in the actual medication. (as I'm actually allergic to it) I take plenty of medication that I have no choice as to whether I take it or not, so I have to divorce myself from that aspect of veganism...so far as drug testing goes. Or I would literally be dead.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:40 am 
Inflexitarian

Veg_Eric wrote:
assilembob wrote:
I did some light googling but didn't come up with much other than it saying the flu shot isn't vegan because of the egg incubation.

My opinion is that when you need something for your health, the "veganness" of something is less important.

I have asthma which seems to be a risk factor, and the general advice is that I should get a flu shot. I don't do that and rely on warm clothes, garlic and ginger.
(a flu shot doesn't guarantee that I won't get the flu)

Maybe a flu shot "isn't vegan", but the same goes for b12 blood tests and band-aids.

I can't get it. I'm allergic to eggs, dairy, poultry, shellfish, bees, cockroaches, all trees, weeds, molds and feathers. I also have asthma and a host of other issues. I take a ton of medications that are tested on animals and have no choice in that matter. I was just inquiring as to a flu shot not actually containing egg/dairy etc.

Seems that my mother is actually just nutso. She hears things on Ellen or Doctor Oz and turns it into all kinds of things that I then have to research to decipher.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:50 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I'm sorry you're sick, flu is horrendous enough but just awful for asthmatics, I hope you feel better soon!