| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Acid Reflux / Heartburn etc thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:57 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Is it that choking burn? Like it is stuck there?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:26 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

Hey, can I run some ingredients by you guys? My mom suffers from some pretty bad acid reflux, and I want to make tasty food for her that won't hurt her. I know to avoid obviously acidic foods like citrus, tomatoes, and vinegar, and that onion and garlic and hot peppers are bad.
I know ginger is good.
What about cinamon, nutmeg, and cloves? All bad?
Cardamom?
Tumeric?
Soy sauce?
Nooch?
Asafoetida/hing powder?
Red or yellow bell pepper?
Carrots and mushrooms should be fine, right?
I know parsley is good. What about most other herbs:
dill, basil, tarragon, thyme, cilantro, rosemary?
Maple syrup, agave, brown sugar, molasses?
I think any beans, nuts, and leafy green veggies should be safe.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:19 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I'm sure not everyone is exactly the same, but the main foods that trigger my heartburn are chocolate and hummus.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:20 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

*bump*

Dr. Webmd tells me this is probably acid reflux of some sort and I can't get in to see my doctor until next week(thanks co-workers who are on medical leave, maternity leave, or on vacation/at trainings). I feel like I swallowed a pill wrong (haven't had a pill in over 48 hours), have shortness of breath, and I can actively feel my esophagus.

I am getting sad thinking about giving up coffee, spicy food, and chocolate. That is 90% of what I eat most meals.

I also read that losing weight and increasing physical activity can help, so maybe I will get started on that instead of playing more No Man's Sky tonight...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:56 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Fizzgig wrote:
*bump*

Dr. Webmd tells me this is probably acid reflux of some sort and I can't get in to see my doctor until next week(thanks co-workers who are on medical leave, maternity leave, or on vacation/at trainings). I feel like I swallowed a pill wrong (haven't had a pill in over 48 hours), have shortness of breath, and I can actively feel my esophagus.

I am getting sad thinking about giving up coffee, spicy food, and chocolate. That is 90% of what I eat most meals.

I also read that losing weight and increasing physical activity can help, so maybe I will get started on that instead of playing more No Man's Sky tonight...

Yep, that definitely sounds like reflux. Something in your esophagus is probably irritated and swollen, which makes it feel like something stuck there.

I've been trying to battle my beast of acid reflux for a little over a year now and I've just started to feel better within the last few months. Definitely see your doctor - and a gastroenterologist, if you can - because they'll help you figure out if meds are necessary. I definitely needed a prescription to see an improvement.

Figuring out which food are triggering will help too. I tried an elimination diet, which I now think was a little extreme, but even keeping a notebook of what you ate that day and then how your throat felt at the end of the day can help you see trends.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:27 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've had a recent flareup of acid reflux and Pepcid (my usual first line of response) hasn't helped. I went to my doctor to get Pariet (only available by prescription in Canada) and, while she gave me the prescription, she wanted me to try TMG (trimethylglycine) before I use the Pariet. She's concerned about side effects from PPIs, so I do appreciate that, however, I've not heard about TMG before.

Has anyone tried it for acid reflux? What were your results?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:42 am 
WRETCHED

I think I should ask here. I've never had heartburn, I don't think, I looked up acid reflux the other day. I woke up with pressure in my chest which freaked me out but then realized burping helped. Eventually, due to my googling skills, I decided to try a little baking soda in water and it went away. Is that acid reflex or something similar? It wasn't burning and I've never had it before so couldn't think what else it could be.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:10 am 
Ninja Master

Linalil, yep that sounds like reflux! Baking soda in water is something I read about recently, will try it next time my pills aren't cutting it.

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZl0Q3szfT7TXQOkVCYypA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:05 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi,

I've suffered horrendously with acid reflux, heartburn, constant uncomfortableness, pain and burping after eating or sometimes even if I don't. I know I have digestive issues as it's not normal but never been diagnosed with anything. Anyhoo I've been researching about it and noticed a few articles about low stomach acid and that it can be caused by vegetarian/vegan diets. It doesn't look like it's a medically registered 'disease'- UK anyway. Just wondered if you guys had seen the articles and if this helped you at all. I tried the test of using cider vinegar and it helped instantly after my eating half a packet of rennie did naff all. I literally feel amazing!! I'm lying down in bed after having to sleep propped up last night! Has anyone considered it could be low stomach acid?

:)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

chan wrote:
Hi,

I've suffered horrendously with acid reflux, heartburn, constant uncomfortableness, pain and burping after eating or sometimes even if I don't. I know I have digestive issues as it's not normal but never been diagnosed with anything. Anyhoo I've been researching about it and noticed a few articles about low stomach acid and that it can be caused by vegetarian/vegan diets. It doesn't look like it's a medically registered 'disease'- UK anyway. Just wondered if you guys had seen the articles and if this helped you at all. I tried the test of using cider vinegar and it helped instantly after my eating half a packet of rennie did naff all. I literally feel amazing!! I'm lying down in bed after having to sleep propped up last night! Has anyone considered it could be low stomach acid?

:)

When you say "using cider vinegar", in what way? like a straight spoonful? or mixed with water or something?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I never really thought of myself as having acid reflux even though I do have a dodgy stomach and constant unexplained chest pains.

But last night I woke up about 3am feeling sick and like I had acid rising up my throat and it was gross and blah. Sat up for a while, went downstairs to raid my husband's antacid pills, eventually managed to nod off sitting up. Today however I still feel gross. Like my stomach is on fire and my throat tastes like I just had a really acidy meal or something - ick!

Maybe it's all acid reflux? My first thought was oh did I come down with a bug but I don't think it's that, because it definitely feels acidy and nasty.

I can't think what brought it on so suddenly last night though. I had soup for dinner - chickpea tahini soup which is not exactly acidy - with a pitta bread and other than that all I had was a few bits of ginger cake!! I always hear ginger is meant to be good for stomachs but maybe the spice of the ginger set me off? I had a piece today and feel worse now too.

This is so annoying. I've been worrying about the chest pain I've been having for a while (and am due to have an echocardiogram in feb) but all of a sudden I have a huge acid flare and now I'm thinking perhaps that's all the chest pain is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:40 am 
Ninja Master

My acid gives me chest pain! It could be that and it's worth speaking to your doctor about.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

baps wrote:
My acid gives me chest pain! It could be that and it's worth speaking to your doctor about.

My doctor, last time I saw him, said "Do not come back to see me until after your tests have been done" because apparently he wants to rule everything out before he does anything. Sooo I'm just waiting!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:56 am 
Ninja Master

ugh that's so frustrating! I hope they figure it out soon for you.