| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help: cutting out sugar
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:49 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Hello peeps!

I want to try to eat waaaaay less sugar but not sure how to go about it!
Like, how hardcore should I be? Cutting out the obvious sources like soda, candy and prepackaged food is pretty easy but i've seen a lot of people talking about cutting out pretty much all carbs and fruit and i'm not sure if i'm into that. I don't really know anything about sugar! I would really appreciate some tips and pointers from you cuties!

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Help: cutting out sugar
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:30 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I've been mostly sugar free for 2 mths now, I'm trying to boost my immune system, and I'm also avoiding alcohol and saturated fats. I decided to not make it too hard on myself, I still eat bread, even though it has a little sugar and have the odd treat. Turns out, the only treats I've really enjoyed have been dark chocolate with ginger and rum and coke on my birthday. The rest I can take or leave now. I'm still eating fruit, but tend to stick to less sugary fruits, things like mango always seemed to give me a glucose spike then drop anyhow.

Pretty sure sugar is somehow addictive for me. The more I eat it the more I want it, like, in ridiculous amounts (I put on 2 stone while my dad was dying because of all the sugar I was huffing). I found the key was to make sure my meals were balanced and on time, it really takes care of the sugar cravings for me and I'm not as hungry. If I wait until I'm too hungry before eating the sugar cravings kick in, I've realised that's the only real time they do kick in. I've dropped a dress size over the past 2 mths, even though I eat anything else I want.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

I also find sugar pretty addicting, and have gone through phases of cutting out sugar that were very helpful for me. I have never tried to cut out fruit and the like, as I dont see any compelling reason to restrict myself from eating any whole foods, but rather processed and/or added sugar. So, obviously things like soda or cookies, but also making sure to stick with unsweetened milks for coffee (which I actually prefer anyway), and including cutting out sweeteners other than white sugar like maple syrup or agave. I would probably skip fruit juice though, and just stick with water (maybe with some lime or lemon juice.). Depending on what your goals are and how you feel, you might want to also eat only whole grains vs. white flour, but I would also say that starting with some changes for like a week, and then making some more changes, will probably go over better if it would end up being a big change.

For me, cutting out the sugar has never been a long term plan, but something that is helpful when I need to reset my baseline for sugar consumption. When I start consuming sugar again, I usually try to keep it to a post- dinner treat, because generally if I eat sugar early in the day I just completely crave it for the rest of the day.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've been cutting back on sugar as well. I was having a 20 oz Dr. Pepper every day at work, which I haven't had for a couple of weeks now. I've had a diet soda once or twice on super stressful days, but that's about it. I'm only drinking unsweet tea at restaurants (a BIG deal for me, since I was raised on tea that was basically syrup). I've never been huge on sweet treats, but I've mostly cut those out. I'm sticking with fruit, for the same reason as e_c.

The thing that's amazing is how many items have added sugar that I wouldn't have expected. I picked up some savory flavored crackers the other day, and sugar was the 5th or 6th ingredient. I've seen it in chip flavorings. It's like going veg all over again with the label reading.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:57 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I think it's a good idea to just avoid added sugar to start with. Even if a fruit is really sweet, you also get vitamins and fiber. Fezza's approach is a good one, don't make it too hard on yourself!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:26 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Thanks guys! You,ve really helped :)