| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Simulator Sickness
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:38 am 
WELFARIST!

Which is essentially just motion sickness due to video games. I've always gotten extremely sick from even just watching people play them but I've been playing them more and more lately and I've been trying to overcome getting ill. I'm hoping that after I play them regularly for some time that I will no longer get sick anymore. Until then, what helped others to overcome it and how long did it take before you stopped getting sick? I tried ginger pills but they aren't really doing anything, I've tried adjusting brightness, taking ibuprofin, eating healthy, eating greasyish, empty stomach, water, caffeine, chewing mint gum, heat, cold air, frequent breaks, lights on, lights off, etc. I'm considering trying Sea Bands but I'm suspicious of products such as those. Not playing is not an option. I also don't want to take anything that's going to make me fall asleep- I want to be able to play and not get sick.

Post subject: Re: Simulator Sickness
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:07 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I don't know if this will help, but sea bands definitely helped me from getting sea sick when I went on a cruise and they aren't actually putting anything in your body, so they can't hurt you. I don't if it would help for motion sickness caused by looking at moving things though. Would sitting further away from the monitor help?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:29 am 
A Bad Person

I don't have much to offer except sympathy. My step-dad recently (within a year) started experiencing simulator sickness (triggered by Red Faction Armageddon, of all games), and he's been playing games for decades. I've only gotten sick playing a game once, and it was Catacombs 3D because it was first person, smooth movement, and a CGA color palette. I'm certain it was a result of the colors, but I thought I was dying.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:57 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Cool air on your face and sipping a cold bubbly beverage help.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This always happens to me too. When I sed totry to play Quake, I'd get super dizzy after a few minutes, then accidentally kill my own teammates. Then they kicked me off the team.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:56 am 
WELFARIST!

Well, motion sickness and simulator sickness are essentially caused by the same thing (you're moving but your body isn't- peas off your brain) so the Sea Bands could possibly work for me so I'll still try them. Thank you!

Sympathies are much appreciated. I do feel like I'm dying and I try to lay down afterwards and I feel like I'm spinning. I thought the ginger pills were working at first because I went from being sick after 20 minutes to holding out for 2 hours, but the other day I took them and was out after 15 minutes (resulting in my team being killed).

Cold has helped a bit, I think, but the Mountain Dew (cold bubbly beverage) is not helping at all.

eta: Sitting back from the display doesn't help either because the day that I got really sick from watching people play, I was sitting on a couch that was pushed up against the wall and the TV was pushed up against the opposite wall.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:31 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I use Sea Bands for motion sickness sometimes. I don't get sick playing games, but I get super sick in some cars and in airplanes if they taxi for too long and the bands help.
Sipping ice water helps me more than anything fizzy; I don't usually drink iced drinks so maybe it is just a different sort of shock to my system that distracts from the motion sick though. Also, if I'm hungry I get motion sick easier so I tend to eat a lot of small meals and snacks when I'm in situations that cause motion sickness.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:17 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I have a friend who is a physical therapist. My husband has a lot of motion sickness issues. She said it is related to your brain's vestibular lobe, which controls balance. As you age, it doesn't work as well but there are supposed to be exercises that can strengthen it. Maybe look into that? Also if I have a cold, my ears get blocked and I have dizziness/motion sickness issues even when I'm sitting still. Could it be related to a cold?