| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: why is one of my lymph nodes swollen but...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

everything else is fine?
I know sometimes lymph nodes swell up because of colds and viruses so I just assumed I was getting sick, but it's been 3 days and I'm not sick at all.

bah, I know I should go to the doctor and I totally will if it's still like this next week, I just don't have time to spend all day in the free clinic.

tell me of your rando lymph swellings!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

Post subject: Re: why is one of my lymph nodes swollen but...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:38 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Your lymph nodes, I was told, often swell up as they fight off minor infections of various sorts. They're an important part of your immune system, and you get all kinds of random stuff coming into your body that they help fight off, and they show signs of it when they do it.

I was told by a doctor a while back that if they swell up on the front of your face, it's probably something you inhaled or that entered your mouth and you shouldn't worry about it too much unless it lasts a really long time. The lymph nodes under my jaw are a little swollen right now, in fact. If they pop up on the back of your head or your armpits or something, though (and I was seeing the doctor because the ones on the back of my neck were big and painful, and it was some kind of minor infection for which I got antibiotics for a week) you should probably go see somebody.

I am not a doctor, and this was a while back, but this is what I remember from what he said, and it has served me pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 am 
Shopped till she dropped

Your body might be still be fighting something, even if you don't have symptoms. Most of the time, it's an injury or something super minor. It's typically nothing to worry about until they're still lingering around for a month or so. Then call your doctor. If you want to speed up the process, make sure you do all the things you'd normally do when fighting a cold: vitamins, fluids, sleep.

You're probably fine. I read up a bunch about it a couple years ago when my thyroid cancer moved to the lymph nodes. /science dork-wannabe

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:33 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

This might be a stupid question, and I don't want to hijack the thread, but how can I tell if my nodes are swollen? If you can feel something, does that automatically mean they are enlarged? I guess I mean, what's "normal size"? Because I always touch my neck and get paranoid thinking that they're swollen and I've got something seriously wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:16 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

My endocrinologist always said that a lymph node is usually a cause for concern when it's bigger than about half of an inch, especially when it lasts more than a month or so. WebMD also says this...
Quote:
Swollen lymph nodes that are softer, tender, and move easily are usually a sign of infection or inflammation. A hard lymph node that does not move and does not cause pain needs further evaluation by your doctor.

That's pretty much what I go by when I check out my neck. Which is pretty regularly.

I do have an enlarged node near my most recent surgery scar. I was a little freaked out about it for a while, but an ultrasound proved it's totally fine, and is more likely latent scar tissue. It's about half of an inch in size, moves easily, is kind of squishy but not really tender. I should have known better than to be so worried, but my history leads me to caution.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:38 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I had swollen lymph nodes this one time, but let's not talk about that in this thread hey

but I've had one node in my neck that's been up for just over a year now. I've had two oncologists and a GP all look at it and gave it the all-clear (though, once had a dramatic pause. I nearly punched the croissant.)

it happens. bodies are weird. I still hate that this one is up for me, but it's relatively soft.

keep an eye on it though. my best advice: check it once a month (the 1st of each month is a good time). if you check it too often, you won't notice any gradual change..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Yep, in med school they teach us that larger than 1 cm means that something could possibly be going on. Not anything serious necessarily, mind you, just that maybe you're body is fending off a virus or whatever. Lots of people have palpable lymph nodes all of the time, but it's doesn't necessarily mean they're fighting an infection or anything if they're that small.

You gotta worry when they're larger, in stranger places (like solipsistnation mentioned, and there are other chains of lymph nodes too... you can find charts online of all of the chains of lymph nodes in the body! Fun!), are kinda matted feeling and don't move around that easily or if, like, an entire chain of lymph nodes is enlarged.

When in doubt, see a doc! I'm just a person on the internet. Don't listen to me! Haha.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

The lymph node under my chin on the left side of my face gets swollen a lot, and that's where one of my most painfully impacted wisdom teeth is. Anytime the tooth makes a move for the surface, that lymph nodes gets swollen for over a week after the tooth pain stops. It's happening right now, actually.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.