| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: general uncomfortableness / antsyness
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:04 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't know if I'm hungry, thirsty, too hot, too cold, should be sitting laying or standing, need a shower, should put my hair up or leave it down, etc. It's a weird, antsy, just not comfortable feeling! Does anyone else get this?

It doesn't happen to me too often. A couple/few times a year maybe, but I'm in one now! I'm wearing the same clothes that have been fine all day and I was just reading at home and it creeped in. I've never been able to find a consistent thing that starts it and generally I have to super ignore it to get it to go away. I also usually end up changing clothes, staring into the fridge/cupboard, drinking water, and sometimes taking a shower to see if any of that helps. But when I'm at work or not at home, that is harder!

It's not unbearable or unmanageable, just temporarily uncomfortable. And it seems really odd.

Post subject: Re: general uncomfortableness / antsyness
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:00 am 
Huffs Nooch

Yes I get this quite a lot. To me it is usually anxiety-related.
Are you stressed or do you suffer from anxiety?
If I'm at uni it usually helps to go home and if I'm at home already, sometimes a shower will help.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:05 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, I get this. A brisk walk sometimes helps, or going up and down the stairs a few times.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:31 am 
WELFARIST!

For me, it's anxiety-related as well. It's like a spell where I'm just super restless and there's no placating me. Like I have to burn off energy that gathered really suddenly. Sometimes, I break into jumping jacks to wear it out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:57 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Sounds like anxiety to me. I've found that moving around or doing a repetitive task helps. Walking/going down stairs/jumping jacks are all great suggestions. If you'd rather do something less physical, find a repetitive activity to do. Get a latch hook kit or knit or something. If that's not possible you can try making inconsequential lists... make a list of every boy you remember having a crush on as a teenager, how many different colored pairs of socks you have in your closet, what dishes you would serve if you started your own restaurants. I find that focusing on something, even if it's not "important", helps ease the antsy feelings.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:53 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hmm... I don't think I have any anxiety, but I don't know much about anxiety. I don't think I ever feel anxious, or maybe the closest I come is that stressed/excited feeling before something big happens... but I like that feeling. I'm not really stressed right now, although there is a lot going on in my life I'm comfortable and happy with all of it. This weird feeling doesn't ever seem to correspond to stressful times, but seems to happen when I'm reading or watching a movie or something hanging-outish, or sometimes it would happen in meetings at work. I also get can't-sit-still antsy sometimes, but I know how to fix that... I've been having that one regularly forever, I'm too high energy to keep in a chair for too long!

Last night after posting I changed clothes, drank a glass of water, and ate a frozen burrito then it was gone. I think changing clothes helped the most. I have some sort of sensitivity/annoyance to some fabrics and clothes (sometimes I can't wear them at all, sometimes they are okay if over another layer, sometimes I'm good for a while then it gets annoying) so maybe that's it, which would also explain why a shower helps. Sometimes I get a similar feeling, but it is identifiable as a 'get this forking bra off of me' feeling. For some reason bras randomly super annoy me... I only wear one when I leave the house and hate wearing them under loose clothes, they are less annoying under fitted clothes.

I spent some time thinking about this last night and trying to see a pattern. Last time it happened (a couple of months ago) I was at my guy's house watching a movie... my solution then was to have sex with him, which fixed it... that also involved changing my clothes by conveniently wearing one of his t-shirts after instead of putting my own stuff back on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:01 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

It usually happens to me with the anxiety thing too, when I feel like I'm not doing something that needs doing, or I'm wasting my time. Just a general feeling that something is not right and takes fixing. But it usually takes me a while (if at all) to realise what I'm bothered about. The brain is good at burying things pretty deep!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:46 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Suffered with similar sh*t... couldn't isolate a common trigger and never felt "stressed" by anything... just random waves of varying degrees of discomfort... seemingly relieved by food, unexpected exertion, going to the bathroom and other random events.

Finally got so bad I went to my family practitioner... he reached for the Rx pad and when I refused he suggested some herb he didn't know anything about and shrugged his shoulders.

Finally found the Linden Method (google it) - the website is gimmicky but the program worked for me instantly... teaches you to retrain your brain to deal with and eventually eliminate the uncomfortable sensations... runs about 80-something dollars US for the downloadable version. Much cheaper than drugs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks everyone for your input! It's nice to know at least a few other people understand what I'm talking about. Some of my friends think I'm crazy (for this and probably other reasons!)

Maybe I'm in denial, but I'm more and more convinced it is a sensory/clothing thing. It happened again the other night and went away when I changed clothes into my pajamas. When I used to work I would never wear anything for more than 9-10 hours... now that I'm not going to an office I can easily get dressed and then 14-16 or more hours later be in the same clothes. It doesn't seem to happen on the days when I have to change clothes mid-day or in the evening unless I'm wearing something that I know I'm a bit sensitive to to begin with.

Or maybe there is an underlying anxiety which could just be heightening my sensitivity. I mean, my life is in a bit of an upheaval right now, which I'm super excited about and not stressed, but I guess anxiety doesn't have stem from a bad thing. As long as changing clothes fixes it, I'm not going to worry about it :)

I'll also note that I'm pretty bad at identifying physical stuff sometimes. When I'm really busy, like I have been, I don't notice hunger, thirst, hot, cold, tiredness or really anything except the need to pee/poop. I've set myself a bit of a schedule to make sure I eat/drink enough and sleep which has made me way more productive. Oddly, I'm usually super in tune with my body and can tell immediately when something is out of whack, just not so good with the day-to-day stuff lately! And I forget about tactile stuff since most of my clothes now don't bother me, unless I wear them too long I guess! I also spend as much time in as little clothes as possible for all but the coldest months of the year so wearing long sleeves all day every day is driving me crazy. I don't like stuff on my arms!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:34 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Pi, I have fibromyalgia and with that I get a lot of heightened sensitivity, and fabrics/clothes can be a big part of that.

I always keep pyjamas or sweatpants in my den so I don't even have to go upstairs to change when I get home. I only have one bra I can wear around the house, all the others have to come off right away. I don't like shoes touching the top of my feet. I CAN NOT handle the feeling of things on my neck.

A year ago my body started getting skin contact hives also. So that's fun. And incredibly itchy.

I don't typically find that I get the antsy sensation so much, I just get really uncomfortable. Unless I'm a little dehydrated. Dehydrated + clothes drives me bonkers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:19 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

this thread got me thinking, and I note that sometimes I Just feel so frustrated and cranky without understanding why... and then I realise I've got this tight uncomfortableness in my chest that I've just adjusted to, and that I am not breathing deep enough - I seem to have conditioned myself to take short, shallow breaths, and suck my stomach in. Not good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was going to say anxiety too.

I had physical anxiety symptoms for a couple years, and kept denying that's what it was every time a doctor suggested it, because I "didn't feel anxious." After a while though, I started realizing that the symptoms were worse in stressful situations, or things as simple as being in the car with my husband driving or thinking about work too much or other seemingly insignificant things like that, but sometimes just hanging out and watching TV or relaxing. And sometimes if I really told myself that nothing was physically wrong with me and it was just anxiety or found a task to focus on, the symptoms would subside a bit. Similar to what you have going on, I think. Soooo, could be?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

I am having this TODAY! I want to run everywhere I need to get to, and am all fiddly and antsy, for no apparent reason.

Usually, this is also accompanied by a fluttering in my stomach, like I'm excited about something, except there is nothing to get excited about. I HATE that feeling.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:19 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

mattomic wrote:
this thread got me thinking, and I note that sometimes I Just feel so frustrated and cranky without understanding why... and then I realise I've got this tight uncomfortableness in my chest that I've just adjusted to, and that I am not breathing deep enough - I seem to have conditioned myself to take short, shallow breaths, and suck my stomach in. Not good.

Yeah, I've retrained myself to breathe deeper generally and I have felt better too. I guess its a bit of more mindfulness AND oxygen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I had this on wednesday when I had these awful tights on. Was nearly in tears by the end of the work day!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:11 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Yes! I can relate; such a frustrating feeling. I find it comforting that there are other people out there experiencing the same weirdness, thanks for starting this thread. Sometimes drinking a big glass of water and focusing on my breath and the space between my thoughts for a few minutes will help bring me "back".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I quit wearing a couple items of clothing and I haven't had this feeling since! It seems to be that I can't wear warm sweaters or a particular pair of pants. I've been wearing a fleece pullover or a sweatshirt instead of sweaters and that is fine. I also got back to exercising and I think that just makes my body feel better in general.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

I totally get that feeling from uncomfortable clothes. I also get it from make up, nail polish, or wearing wet shoes. Sometimes I also feel that way if I really need to stretch. Or if someone exhales on me--that'll ruin me for the rest of the day.

Anyway the main purpose in my posting this is to say HI!!