| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nutrition Trackers - Post your healthy meal wins here!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:14 pm 
Semen Strong

Since I started using SparkPeople, I've been frustrated to find that so many of my go to meals are heavier on the calories than I would like. Also, I find myself over the limit in the fat and carbs category, while still going under the recommended minimums for protein.

If you're using nutrition tracking programs like MFP or Sparkpeople, please post your menu "wins" - dishes that provide a lot of protein and other nutrients, with a reasonable amount of calories.

I made Atakilt Wat with added chickpeas, and it was about 150 cal for about 5 g of protein. Not incredible proteinwise, but a spicy, tasty, cheap way to eat a lot of veggies for dinner.

Post subject: Re: Nutrition Trackers - Post your healthy meal wins here!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:21 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Good idea for a thread, tofulish! And that's one of my favorite dishes. I don't have anything to add just yet, but hopefully I will soon!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:30 pm 
WRETCHED

Damn, now I wish I had cabbage! I just ate all mine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:46 pm 
Inflexitarian

I don't want to track calories and carbs, but I am looking for meals that are a bit higher in protein and maybe fat but a bit lower in carbs....

This week I'm planning to make the Pad Thai salad from AFR with some kind of marinated tofu on the side, and I think that should have a good protein/carb balance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:58 pm 
Semen Strong

The AFR Pad Thai salad with tofu is in SparkPeople - a single serving has 210 cals for 10g of protein. So definitely a winner!

AFR in general is just full of great recipes, but sometimes its nice to find others that surprise you by being satisfying and healthy. The worst is making a recipe that you think is going to be well balanced and finding that you just ate 800 cals of sugar and fat because you misunderestimated the serving size.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:04 pm 
Inflexitarian

Wowza! Must be all those bean sprouts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:13 pm 
Inflexitarian

Oh, a good one from one of the Nava Atlas books is Pasta w/Hearty Lentil & Spinach Sauce. 340 calories (so a little higher) but 15 g of protein and 10 g of fiber. I like this one because it's a quick, easy pasta dish that's still reasonably healthy, and it packs in a good amount of protein without using tofu, tempeh, or seitan (which I love, but not every night).

As with most of her recipes, I find I have to spice it up a bit... I usually add crushed red pepper and Italian herbs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:28 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

The "Quick & Hearty Chili" from Vegan Diner is about 330 calories/21g of protein per serving, at least according to the calculator in MFP. Combining beans and TVP will do that. Lots of iron and fiber too.

Arabian Lentil & Rice Soup (Appetite for Reduction) - 230 calories/ 12g (lots of iron and fiber too)

Last edited by Limone on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:32 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for including the recipe, quark! That looks great!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:52 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
The AFR Pad Thai salad with tofu is in SparkPeople - a single serving has 210 cals for 10g of protein. So definitely a winner!

I just registered at Sparkpeople and am constantly trying to tweak my recipes for more protein and less carbs. How can I find this recipe on SP? it doesnt show up for some reason...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:35 am 
Semen Strong

If you search "Appetite for Reduction" when inputting your foods, you'll get the calorie counts for the different AFR recipes, including the Pad Thai Salad. It didn't give me any clickable link or recipe, that I can give you sadly. If anyone else knows how to do it, I'd be interested!

If you seek under "Recipes" for "Appetite for Reduction" you get a few recipes but not the pad thai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:19 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
If you seek under "Recipes" for "Appetite for Reduction" you get a few recipes but not the pad thai

see, thats what I did. Found it! Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:33 am 
Semen Strong

I am continually being surprised by my food. I had no idea that a cup of Quaker oats (2 servings of oatmeal) have 300 calories (and 10 g of protein). My delicious almond butter and maple syrup oats were nearly 500 cal. I would have done better with a tofu scramble! It was yummy though :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:26 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I love snacking on peanuts but boy was I shocked when I found out that a mere halfa cup has 430 calories!! Thats almost a third of my supposed intake per day. that surely was an eyeopener. Since then, I have entered every little bit and piece of what I eat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:28 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Tofulish wrote:
I am continually being surprised by my food. I had no idea that a cup of Quaker oats (2 servings of oatmeal) have 300 calories (and 10 g of protein). My delicious almond butter and maple syrup oats were nearly 500 cal. I would have done better with a tofu scramble! It was yummy though :)

For a while I was making these outrageous bowls of oatmeal, then I realized that they were like 700 calories and cut back a bit. It was kind of like an ice cream sundae, but oatmeal, with peanut butter, granola, banana and berries, maybe a couple of chocolate chips...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:39 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

My healthy meal wins tend to be soup related. Some of my favorites are the black bean chili, tortilla soup, and veggie lentil soup in AFR. I don't have the nutrition stats off hand but I felt like the soups were very filling, low cal, high protein.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:04 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I had some papadums today, and according to cronometer they have quite a good nutrient ratio (there is no nutritional info on the package). I cook them in the microwave, so I don't need to add any oil. Three large 14 g papads have 155 cal and almost 11 g protein, 60 mg calcium and 3 mg of iron. Quite a winner! Unfortunately, they also have 733 mg of sodium, but my blood pressure is usually low, so I'm not too worried about that.

I ate them with some AFR root veggie dal. Very nice and easy meal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:09 pm 
Semen Strong

I would never have expected papadums to have a lot of protein! How great!

Mmmmmm dal!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:45 pm 
Semen Strong

The Trader Joe's falafel have 320 calories for 3 balls. Oops.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:31 pm 
Dead by dawn

Crockpot chili! I am in NO way an anti-oil person, but when I make crockpot chili, I just dump a ton of veggies and beans and spices into the crockpot with no added fat and it comes out great. I can post the recipe I use when I get home and I'm pretty sure I worked out calories, fat and protein at one point so I'll look for that too. But it's basically onion, garlic, zucchini, red pepper, carrot, frozen corn, a can each of chickpeas, black beans and kidney beans, a couple cans of diced tomatoes with jalapenos, cumin, chili powder and tabasco.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:42 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Me & my husband love making the Mac & Trees from AFR with a portion of the AFR baked tofu chopped & thrown in there too. It makes it extra filling & more proteiney.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:04 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I hear you guys upthread on the over-the-top oatmeals! That's my one thing that I really struggle with, I really love a big bowl of oats with nut butter, banana, goji and shredded coconut in the morning, but that's like 700 calories! I'm trying to do oats with water and a blob of jam, but it's just not the same...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:17 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I remembered a few more that are non-AFR!

Fat Free Vegan Kitchen Omelette with spinach inside served with a small side of potatoes and loads of steamed veg.

The Savoury French Puy Lentil recipe from ED&BV (made to serve 3) over caulipots is 380 calories & 20g of protein. I usually steam some cabbage or spring greens to give my caulipots some extra nutritional punch!

The Mac Daddy from V'con works out at 281 calories & 19.5g of protein per serving if you half the oil in the ricotta & use 1tsp in the cheesy sauce. I also like to add peas and spinach and I usually eat 1 1/2 servings.

Bryannas Stir Fried "chicken" Soy Curls & Baby Bok Choy served with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of brown rice is a fun lower fat stir fry.

I also love the lower fat banana bread recipe from Veganomicon made as muffins as a snack or as part of a fun but not insanely calorific breakfast, if you make 10 they're 155 calories each...they're not great for protein though!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:48 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks jojo! Those look great! Re the muffins, I stick vanilla protein powder in my banana muffins. If you don't overdo it, you can't taste or feel it in there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:11 am 
Ninja Master

I am with you all on the bowls of oatmeal. I love a massive bowl of it with maple syrup, chocolate chips and peanut butter but the calories are silly.

So now I buy the microwave sachets because I suck at portion control. If I need to add some sweetness, add a bit of sweet freedom.

The seitan recipes in AFR are all good for low calorie but nice protein content as well.

I'm gonna have to try the vcon banana bread as muffins!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast