| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Organ Donation
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:52 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My mom's cousin needs a kidney, so I went in to get tested. I found out today that I'm compatable under the first blood tests, so the next step is to go in for a donor evaluation and if I pass that, then I can donate. I haven't told anyone yet, because while I want to do it, I'm scared. Has anyone here either donated or received an organ? I've read all the literature, but I want to know real experiences.

Post subject: Re: Organ Donation
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I haven't, and I know you said you've read the literature, but I just read a very good article from a recipient's perspective, so I am offering it in case you haven't read it yet. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/16/magaz ... ney-t.html

I think it's a completely amazing thing to do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:02 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I think you should definitely talk to your primary doctor about the pros and cons. If you have kidney problems later it could become problematic. I'm not saying don't donate, I'm just saying you should definitely sit down and see the impact it will have on your life from here on out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

A good friend of mine donated a kidney to his brother. The surgery in itself was fairly gnarly, but after the recovery, which was a bit lengthy, since those things take time to heal, he is fine. He is extremely glad he did it, and he has no regrets.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:19 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Totally not as serious, but I did receive donor corneas. Obviously it wasn't a living donor donation, but I still feel a strong connection to my donor- whoever he or she was, and think about their loved ones often- how grateful I am that in a time of tragedy they could make a choice that changed the lives of strangers. No advice on whether or not you should do it - it's scary and stressful. I too encourage you to get all the necessary information you can- perhaps get a friend/family member to accompany you to appointments and take notes/give feedback/ask questions that you might not think of. In the end you know what decision you need to make- and whatever it is that's ok. Just make sure you're as prepared as you can be.

Much love- sending positive energy to you, your family, your cousin and your kidneys :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:17 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

A childhood friend of mine just received a double lung transplant. She is a CF patient and surely would have died without the donation. This isn't really comparable with your situation, because it wasn't a living donation, but seeing her grow strong again and get off oxygen (after 2 years!) is pretty amazing. She is healing so well and she continues to inspire me and remind me how much we take just breathing for granted. It's incredible.

The whole ordeal was both exciting and terrifying. Which I imagine is how you feel. I have no real advice except be sure you ask as many questions through out the process (even if you decided not to donate) as possible. Organ transplant can be a rollercoaster of emotion and and is serious business - major surgery, lengthy recovery, possible rejection in the receiver. Find out all you can and make the decision that's best for your situation.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks for the article link and the advice everyone. I guess my biggest concern is I don't want to get her hopes up and then chicken out.