| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new vegan :-)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:56 am 
Tofu Pup

hey everyone,

I have been a vegetarian for nearly 10 years and decided to go vegan now. I have signed the vegan pledge with the vegan society an I will get a mentor there to get me started. however I don't have the contact details of my mentor yet but there are so many question\concerns. I hope you don't mind me asking :-)
today is only my second vegan day, but I have found that going from veggie to vegan food is not as difficult as I would have thought. I found out that I was already eating lots of vegan foods.
however I am concerned about my body. I am a very sporty and active person and I want to keep it that way. of course I am trying to eat a balanced vegan diet but I am also very busy, so if anyone has any suggestions on how to get a healthy vegan meal done if you only got like 20 minutes break that would be great.
also what kind of supplements should I take? I am taking b-complex and b12 supplements and also an iron supplement. is there anything else I should be taking?
and also does anyone know a great vegan restaurant in London? would love to try some good restaurants with vegan dishes on the menu.

thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: new vegan :-)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:12 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I would encourage you to read "Vegan for Life" in order to know that you're meeting your nutritional needs.

Do you have any quick meals that you could veganize? I'm a big fan of stir-fries when I don't have much time. Dal using red lentils is also pretty quick. Oatmeal, sandwiches, smoothies, pasta, salads. These can all be made up quickly with a little bit of planning.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:10 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yes, definitely read Vegan For Life! This is a good rundown of common supplements that vegans need so read that if you can't get the book ASAP.

There are lots of good vegan meals that can be done quickly - think stir-fries, tacos with beans and veggies, pasta, couscous and grain salads etc. I think many of us also cook in large batches and refrigerate or freeze the extra portions to have for meals later.

I don't know of any great vegan places in London offhand but you can ask or browse around the UK subforum! Anyway, welcome. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:02 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Try looking up London on http://www.happycow.net/, which is a really useful database of vegetarian and vegan restaurants all around the world.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:30 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Imogen wrote:
Try looking up London on http://www.happycow.net/, which is a really useful database of vegetarian and vegan restaurants all around the world.

Definitely check this out but my favourite places to eat in London are Mildred's, The Gallery Cafe, Tibits & InSpiral Lounge.

I also second the Vegan For Life recommendation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:55 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Welcome! I'm fairly new too, and Vegan for Life has been a great help, as well as this forum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

thanks everyone,
will have a look for vegan for life. and thanks for all the other tips.
I am still getting used to everything but I am really enjoying it, because it just makes sense and I am very determined to become a healthy vegan :-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:22 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm new too! Inspired by some of the documentaries...Forks Over Knives, Food Inc, Vegucated, etc...

Been a vegetarian for a little while and now trying to become vegan. Would love any tips or advice anyone has! I'm also soy free. I've found going out to eat is the hardest part about eliminating all dairy and eggs. Want to be social and not sound picky or weird when I'm ordering my meal.

“Everything in the world is beautiful, but Man only recognizes beauty if he sees it either seldom or from afar. Listen, today we are gods! Our blue shadows are enormous! We move in a gigantic, joyful world!”

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:41 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

You might want to consider adding omega 3, and maybe vitamin D if you don't get much sun exposure over the winter. As for food, there are "30 minute vegan" cookbooks out there but personally if I am in a rush I tend towards a green smoothie. If you are really active in sports you might want to check out Brendan Brazier's books. He is a vegan professional athlete and creator of the "Vega" supplement line.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:13 am 

serafinaemily wrote:
I've found going out to eat is the hardest part about eliminating all dairy and eggs. Want to be social and not sound picky or weird when I'm ordering my meal.

If you had an allergy or religious conviction which meant you avoided eating certain things then of course you would ask when ordering a meal and wouldn't worry about sounding picky or weird, so why be worried about an ethical decision? If you're out and paying for a meal, you want it to meet your requirements. Most places are absolutely fine with making something a bit different (like a pizza without cheese, or a curry without dairy), you just have to be confident enough to ask. Also, if you know where you're going in advance, there's nothing wrong with giving them a phone call to ask if they might be able to make you something vegan!

Loads of books, websites and so on will give you advice about going out as a vegan too as it is still not standard for most places to offer vegan fare on their ordinary menu.

Also, http://www.happycow.net/ is a great resource for find veg-friendly places to eat out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

I am eating flaxseed fortified with vitamin d and omega 3 every over my soya yogurt every morning for breakfast. I love it. its delicious :-) so I hope I am OK on that front.

as for eating out I have been out with my boyfriend (meat eater) twice now and had no problems. we went to non veggi restaurants and I just made clear what I could eat and they have been really good. loved the food. I guess that people are just getting used to vegans. especially in cities I think it is not so much a problem to eat out as a vegan.
my boyfriend works in a restaurant and they sometimes get vegan customers and he said it is no problem to adjust dishes an little. well thats what he has got to do at home now as well :-)

still haven't really figured out the whole supplement situation completely but I am getting there. thought I would buy veg1 from the vegan society. is anyone else taking it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:40 pm 

I get VEG-1 from the Vegan Society and recommend it :) It's really important to have a reliable source of B12 as deficiency can be serious. I take one maybe every 2-3 days, but I also eat nutritional yeast fortified with B12 which I get from my local whole food store.