| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone familiar with/tried Dr. Mcdougall way of eating?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm 
Tofu Pup

I know it's been around a long time. I came across the plan doing research for another topic.
I was intrigued that based on most reviews it seems to cause people to lose weight in a relatively short period and you are not supposed to be hungry. I've been a member of the forum before but I have not visited in a very long time. I could just go ahead and try it but I'd have to buy specific food I don't normally consume. Since it's a vegan diet I am hoping someone here has tried it and can tell me how they did with it. Has anyone tried this and achieved good results?

I've gained 35 lbs. over a 4 year period. I eat compulsively and I need some structure I've tried WW and calorie counting that is appropriate for weight loss for my height, size and age (over 40) but I always end up hungry. When I was younger calorie counting worked well but not so much now.

I can't say I'd commit to this diet forever but I could do something close after achieving my desired weight loss. I've been taking pilates I gained weight instead of losing it (there is no evidence this muscle weight btw). I am going to start walking daily and I will switch from pilates to Tai Chi.

Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with/tried Dr. Mcdougall way of eating?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I haven't tried the diet myself but from his website it looks very veggie and legume heavy. I can see how you could eat a lot and feel satisfied. I have purchased his pre-packaged foods from the grocery store before for quick lunches and backpacking meals. They're pretty filling but super pricey and not seasoned at all. Like, super duper bland. I'd probably add a lot more spices to the recipes. It seems like it could be under seasoned, which would make following it unsustainable for me. The other thing I'd worry about is getting enough calories. If I were to do this diet I'd plug everything into My Fitness Pal and make sure I wasn't under eating.

You might be interested in the Forks Over Knives recipes, since they're also really focused on low calorie whole foods. The last time I was actively trying to lose weight I made most of my dinners from Appetite for Reduction, most of my breakfasts and lunches from Forks Over Knives, and I was doing aerobic activity 2-3 times/week (45 minute spinning class). I also calorie counted, even though I know you said it doesn't really work for you now.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think Hollie said she's done it before?

I'm going to try something similar, myself. Or McDougall-ish. So I guess I could pop in when I have some experience. . .

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:14 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I did Somer McCowan's Abundance Diet (based on McDougall principles) in January and was really happy with the results. I skipped the snacks and desserts in her plan and it worked out to about 1400 calories per day. I was rarely hungry and most of the food tasted really good. Concurrently, I did the Darebee 30 Days of Change program (free online) and lost 13 pounds in four weeks. For reference, I had about 20 pounds to lose in total and I have an insatiable appetite.

If you're doing it by yourself and don't want to be constantly prepping food, I recommend just picking one day of recipes, prepping all of it, and eating it for four days in a row. Using that method, I spent about three hours every four days cooking. It was time consuming, but not overwhelming. I need really strict structure to stick to a diet and this one worked!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Popping in to say I'm. . . no longer really doing it. I read the book and I'm applying some principles, but yeesh.

The WHO says that women of reproductive age shouldn't eat less than 20% of their calories from fat. It's hard to argue with that. I don't want to fork up my hormones. So I'm eating plenty of fat and not limiting soy at all, but I'm basically just. . . not using oil or making fatty sweets. So I'm not doing it at all.

Plus, the shiitake over in the Pet Peeves thread (as well as other sources) has kind of soured my idea towards McDougall and makes it hard for me to be down with his advice. . .

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:23 am 
WRETCHED

Yes, you are right, lower fat can screw up with your hormonal levels. It also makes you more prone to gallstones. And McDougall is an asparagus, beyond recommending that women maintain weights lower than the medical community at large recommends and also he is known for fat shaming people who have followed his diet but aren't skinny.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:15 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

linanil wrote:
Yes, you are right, lower fat can screw up with your hormonal levels. It also makes you more prone to gallstones. And McDougall is an asparagus, beyond recommending that women maintain weights lower than the medical community at large recommends and also he is known for fat shaming people who have followed his diet but aren't skinny.

Ew, even to his own followers? What a crasshole.

ETA: I've been logging my food in CHRON-O-Meter while transitioning to lower fat, and even with eating lots of overt fats, I just can't seem to keep above 20%. So I'm just popping in to say I'm even doing it LESS than thought, and will probably go back to cooking with minimal oils, a la AFR. And maybe no oil when there's lots of overt fats anyway (like an avocado- or cashew- HEAVY dish).

I'd rather be fat than nutrient deficient!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:28 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

oddspongeout wrote:
linanil wrote:
And McDougall is an asparagus, beyond recommending that women maintain weights lower than the medical community at large recommends and also he is known for fat shaming people who have followed his diet but aren't skinny.

Ew, even to his own followers? What a crasshole.

Especially them. His mantra is "All dieters are liars." He just does not believe that people can eat according to even his MWLP- Maximum Weight Loss Program (limited fruit, no nuts, seeds or flour products) and not only not lose but can still gain weight, even though so many people on his forums have reported that very thing happening. He says we must either be letting foods with oil sneak in or we're lying about what we're eating.

A few years ago (OMG! It's been 10 years already!) it looked like he finally got the message and revealed what he called the weight loss version of his program for people who were having trouble losing on the other versions, the Mary's Mini diet:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/june/marys.htm
and
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/july/marys2.htm
and more recently:

It's based on how he and his wife Mary ate when they wanted to drop a few pounds fast, inspired by how Mary ate in the past - some jars of babyfood squash or cans of plain tomatoes! Supposed to last just 10 days, but now he says it can be done indefinitely, that it's better to lose all excess weight as fast as possible, that people shouldn't sweat the micro-nutrients day by day, that it all catches up eventually. There's always people doing this version on the Mary's Mini Facebook community, and people lose anywhere from no weight to 10 pounds or so. So I guess even this extreme version of mono-eating (you can only choose one starchy food to eat for the 10 days) is still no guarantee of weight loss. His response? Eat less starch and more non-starchy veg. So much for this being a starch-based food plan.

Quote:
ETA: I've been logging my food in CHRON-O-Meter while transitioning to lower fat, and even with eating lots of overt fats, I just can't seem to keep above 20%.

You're gonna have to ramp up the nuts and seeds and avocados to do that. You'll probably have to eat less starch and veg to make room for them.

Quote:
And maybe no oil when there's lots of overt fats anyway (like an avocado- or cashew- HEAVY dish).

Back in the old days, he allowed things like Gimmelean and TVP, and nuts weren't as restricted as he (and his "Star McDougaler" fanatics) are doing today. Mary McD used cashew milk in many of her recipes; tahini and tofu were also used regularly. One of her favorite sauces, one Anne Esselstyn also said she adored, was loaded with walnuts. Of course, for people like me - post menopausal, 60+, and fat since childhood - we can't even think of being able to lose weight if we eat a lot of recipes like those. But health-wise, my BP and cholesterol (and energy levels) were best when they were included regularly.

As for the suggestion to use FOK recipes? Remember that many of the recipes on their web site also come from people like the McDougalls, the Esselstyns, and Chef AJ.

Quote:
I'd rather be fat than nutrient deficient!

Yep. The food plan is no guarantee of excellent health. People on it have developed cancers, gall bladder problems, thyroid conditions, etc. I, myself, had developed a stress cardiomyopathy, and was recently diagnosed with a cluster of auto-immune diseases, all while following the program strictly since the 1990's. I only lost 60 pounds (out of the 160 total I needed to lose after gaining 30 on the program), and that was right after my husband had CABG surgery 3 years ago and we both ate very little of anything during his initial recovery period (he lost 30 during the same time). Oh, prior to his chest pain and surgery he ate what McDougall food I cooked at dinner but wasn't even veg otherwise, plus he ate a family sized bag of potato chips and almost a 6-pack of Coke nightly. Now he follows the program, with some Esselstyn recommendations, 100% and his cardiologist said he's the best post-op patient he has - excellent stamina, perfect blood work all without meds.

Why do I stick with it? If this is what happens when eating one of the healthiest food plans on earth, how much more messed up would I be if I wasn't?