| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rehab care basket
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So someone close to me is going to be having a rough time ahead because tomorrow they are opting to voluntarily seek help to kick what seems to be a pretty nasty opioid addiction. This is a family member who I used to be inseparably close to, but have basically had no relationship with in the past few years, I'm guessing courtesy of the addiction.

From my understanding, given the actual drug and her chosen method of taking it, withdrawal will be similar to heroine withdrawal. I know that love and support is a given, but other than that I have no idea what to do, but I would really like to put something together that could help her through whatever stages go along with recovery...but what sorts of things are helpful to someone in the very early stages of recovery?

Post subject: Re: Rehab care basket
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:00 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i have a dear family member who i wish would reach out for help. if i were making a basket for her i'd include some basic self-care items for her nails, a hot/cold pack for her head, earplugs, maybe some nice cream or essential oils or something. just something to remind her that she is so worth taking care of and desperately loved.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

torque wrote:
i have a dear family member who i wish would reach out for help. if i were making a basket for her i'd include some basic self-care items for her nails, a hot/cold pack for her head, earplugs, maybe some nice cream or essential oils or something. just something to remind her that she is so worth taking care of and desperately loved.

Great ideas, especially the hot/cold pack! And the rest is what I was going for, just some physical manifestation of saying "hey, I still care." Between the two of them, I think they will have a true support network of about 2 people (one of which would be me), so I think every little bit helps. I should have mentioned in the OP, that I'm open for ideas for individuals and as a couple...she's going in with her boyfriend, so I need to try to include him at least at some level. He's not been my favorite person (for reasons far beyond the drugs), but from my understanding, he's really been trying to make a positive change in a lot of ways, so I'm willing to give a second chance.

torque, I really hope your family member realizes they need help. It's sucked knowing she was going through this, and only I saw her a handful of times over the past few years, but it's painful to watch someone just melt away.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:47 pm 
Semen Strong

Can you check with the rehab about what they would allow in? Some places are really strict about what people can have with them.

Wishing both your families peace and healing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tofulish wrote:
Can you check with the rehab about what they would allow in? Some places are really strict about what people can have with them.

Wishing both your families peace and healing.

Yes, this. You can at least start with a card. Usually they will let them read mail, even if it is confiscated afterwards. But many places do not allow personal effects of any kind, not even a book.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:01 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I don't know if its good in this case or not, but kratom has helped people with opiate addictions. However, I'm not sure how much science is actually behind that.

Some pubmed stuff : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22133323

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:36 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ah of course, need to find out what's allowed. i'm sure that talking to the place, if you can somehow manage it, they'd be helpful about what people usually want/need/should have.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

if they allow it some things to pass the time like puzzle books, magazines, playing cards.
not sure how soon they would be able to use them since serious addiction withdrawal sounds hardcore but once they get past the initial part i would imagine rehab is a lot of long days.

maybe in the beginning just cards of well wishes and positive thoughts to let them know you are thinking of them?

i think it's great you want to do this since you havent had much of a relationship for awhile. it will show them that people care and are thinking of them and want them to pull through.

not sure how rehab and visits work but maybe you can visit them (if they are local to you) somewhere down the line.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:51 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Yeah I would just start out with a letter. It means a lot to people that someone is thinking of them enough to write out something personal and it gives you a good chance to find out what they're allowed to have/need. Rules vary, but at my rehab we allow baaaasically nothing letting people know that everything they need we will be providing. Because it cuts down on people sneaking stuff in and encourages people to actually focus on our program rather than Fifty Shades of Gray or whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:19 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Maybe fuzzy/warm socks, heating pad thingy, books about things to look forward to when out to read, juices/coconut water, or something other than regular water, things to make her smile are of upmost importance. Probably skin lotion and nice soap, Basically, opiate withdrawal is different for everyone, but most of the time it involves being in cold sweats, freezing, being too hot, depression, hopelessness, boredom, emotional roller coaster, stomach problems, and more fun things.

Hope that your family member is fine, and that she is doing the right thing for her, just be sure to send her lots of love, no matter what else you include, and remember that it is a very trying time so she may be irrational in response to things or be snippy, and not to take it personally.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My brain just keeps saying "slippers". I figure a rehab place would at least allow squishy, lovely slippers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i like the idea of cards to begin with. perhaps you can create & send a card every day (or very few days) and maybe include a photo inside of it. i realize it was a lot different, but years ago my mother had back surgery and i sent her a card every day for at least a month after her surgery. just a little something she could look forward to reading each day. she loved it. you're too awesome bekki, and i will keep them both in my thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:48 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Sending a card or postcard every day sounds so sweet, I would love it if someone did that for me when I was going through a difficult time. Especially since withdrawl will probably make her feel sad/hopeless a lot, and a reminder of your love and care will go a long way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:05 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

when I went, I always welcomed craft things- beads, knitting/crochet hooks, etc. There is SO much time to craft when you're not engaging in destructive behaviors. Also, comedy albums are great for taking your mind off of all the heavy stuff you're going through.

definitely check though-where I was, no food or drinks were allowed, nor were magazines. Then again, I was there for an e.d, not drugs. But still, I know of some places that have to approve all reading material.

Best of luck!