| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vegan first aid kit
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:55 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I need vegan products for a minor injury/first aid kit. I realize my bottle of tea tree oil & pac man bandages will only get me so far! What should I pack for home and in the car?

Post subject: Re: vegan first aid kit
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:14 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

that's funny - my car kit is very close to what you've already got... a tube of tea tree ointment, a box of bandages (unfortunately the boring tan ones), super glue, and a bottle of ibuprofen.

the home kit starts the same, but also has a couple of those stretchy sports wraps, gauze, tape, scissors, tweezers, gloves, saline spray, alcohol & peroxide, and benadryl.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:31 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I picked up a couple of those ~$30.00 kits you can get at the pharmacy. They have a bunch of bandaids and bandages and an ice pack and stuff.

Are they particularly non-vegan?

My basic first-aid kit would include:

Bandaids, assorted
Ibuprofen
Aspirin
antibiotic ointment (neosporin)
anti-itch ointment (cortisone)
alcohol prep wipes
sterile gauze pads, assorted
sticky medical tape
a couple of elastic bandages (Ace bandages or those ones that stick to themselves)
scissors
tweezers
magnifying glass
rubbing alcohol
razor blades/Xacto knife-type thing
a couple of those chemical ice packs
a couple of chemical hot pads
a couple of little bottles of whiskey (not really, but now that I think of it, maybe so)

And I think a couple of other things I'm forgetting. Superglue is a good one-- maybe some quick-setting very thin glue, although mostly I tend to glue my fingers together with it. I did this the other night at like 1 in the morning and I had to fumble around the bathroom looking for nail polish remover, which luckily C&S had purchased recently. And it was even all scented and stuff so my hands smelled nice when I finally got my fingers unglued.

When C&S was walking around with the boy a lot, I got all nervous one day and picked up a bunch of first aid stuff so she could always have bandaids and stuff with her. We have a kit with more or less that in the car and a second one in the kitchen, and a couple of little plastic boxes with bandaids and single-use first aid cream sort of kicking around. I want to get another little kit for when we go hiking, too. This is something for which I'd prefer to be overprepared...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:31 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I don't have a first aid kit at home, but I have aspirin, neosporin, hydrogen peroxide, allergy tablets, gauze and band aids n stuff in the bathroom.

In the car I have an emergency road side kit but I have no idea what's in it (that's bad). I keep pepto bismal in there, though, because that's the kind of thing I'd hate to not have in a jam (and I always keep ibuprofen in my purse). I also have a flash light in there to change a tire if its night time. And a two dollar bill. You know...just in case.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:12 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

solipsistnation wrote:
I picked up a couple of those ~$30.00 kits you can get at the pharmacy. They have a bunch of bandaids and bandages and an ice pack and stuff.

i have one of these in my car and you would not believe how many people i have patched up, cleaned out and de-splintered. nobody ever has this stuff and it has been awesome.
the tweezers [if you don't already carry them elsewhere, like an army knife] and allergy pills are the things i am always re-stocking, as well as ibuprofen for sudden headaches.
if you tend to get bitten by bugs a lot, a bite pen is nice [it's just ammonia, at least mine is].
and super glue definitely. i carry it mostly because I'm terrified that the crown on my tooth will fall out one day, and the dentist suggested it. but it always gets opened and used for something else [at least, so far].

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Super glue is the ultimate first aid item. My husband has glued his hand together so many times, even big weird cuts across his palm. He's a mechanic and cuts himself all the time and super glue is his go to thing.

I think no first aid kit is complete without vet wrap. That stuff that your at or dog gets wrapped up with that kind of sticks to itself? It's amazing. Also good on weird finger cuts.