| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Choices and Advice
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:47 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks! I'm actually not going in today; I just made the appointment today, but yeah, yay for getting things taken care of!

I think the key thing is to get to know and listen to your body. I've gotten so that I can feel it when I'm starting to get overtrained, and I'm getting better at heading it off. Again, I'm training to do very high intensity bike races, so I'm wanting to put a lot of stress on my body, which means what I'm doing probably is more than a person who's not training to compete in an insane athletic competition will want. That said, the human body can adapt pretty quickly and can do a lot, which is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:37 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

My main concern is injuring myself running. I'm new, but getting really into it, which is generally a recipe for an injury with me because I don't want to stop or let up. In the past I've been prone to runners knee and shin splints, but those haven't popped up yet.

I'm not super concerned with injuring myself in yoga. I've only ever injured myself due to bad posture, not from overworking.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:46 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've done weight lifting (mixed with cardio) on and off for twenty (yikes!) years, and I love it. For about a year I've been doing heavier lifting. I got through stage 5 of "New Rules of Lifting for Women" but I felt like I wasn't getting a good return on my effort and that many of the exercises were silly. You can probably get it from your library if you just want to look at it first. That's what I did before I bought the book. It was good for getting me back into heavier squats and deadlifts. Now I do spin on Mondays with chest (incline chest press with dumbbells and chest press with Olympic bar), Tuesdays is squats (I did 120 lbs today!), walking lunges, calf raises with lighter cardio. Wednesdays is back and triceps with running. Thursdays is deadlift and shoulders with lighter cardio. Off on Friday and hike either Saturday or Sunday.

I know all the guys at the gym, and for the most part they are great. There are some that I would now consider friends. We're all a bit older (in our mid to late 30's or 40's). I did have one guy come up to me a few months ago and say that I have really good deadlift form...especially for a woman. He was trying to compliment me. I stared daggers at him. My friend, Kevin, was standing behind him mouthing, "Don't kill him." Dude said he never sees women doing deadlift, and I told him he must not come to the gym enough because there are a lot of women who do. Ugh.

I'm turning 39 in August, and I've just started counseling for the first time in my life. I'm working on a lot of issues, and ED stuff and body image are a huge part of it. I think I'm finally in a place where I can get rid of the scale. Not because I'm at my "ideal weight" (because I'm not), but because there is so much else to work on to get healthy in my head that I'm not willing to let it rob me of one more minute. My body is changing in a way I'm not happy about, but I no longer want that to define who I am. I have an amazing husband (who likes my curves) and fabulous supportive friends, and I need to learn to love myself as well as they love me. And I never want my kids (boys and a girl) to think that a woman is only (or most importantly) what she or anyone else thinks about her body.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:49 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm now interested in the possibility of increasing my weight lifting. I don't do free weights and use the machines, but I've kept the weight the same for a long time. I work out more for mental health than anything, but truly there is nothing more awesome than seeing how my biceps have grown and gotten strong and badass. It makes me feel proud of my body.

This will all have to wait until I heal my back, though...overexertion through cleaning out stalls at the farm sanctuary definitely did it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:37 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I deadlifted 115 lbs today! Feeling like such a badass.

And I work out three days a week right now, but that is because I am still recovering from surgery in December (holy hell does recovery take a long time!) and I don't want to push myself beyond what I'm ready for.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:25 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Nebraskalaska, I do yoga pretty much every single day. Every once in a while, maybe once a month, I skip. Usually I skip because I am too busy. Yoga is so forgiving because it can be very physical, but it can also be very gentle or contemplative. Even on days when I work out with my trainer (2x /week), I still like to do a quieter practice to bring some movement, relief and sensitivity back into the body. I don't know if that's helpful though, because it sounds like you and other folks in this thread are doing some pretty serious workouts!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:19 am 
Level 7 Vegan

j-dub wrote:
I deadlifted 115 lbs today! Feeling like such a badass.

And I work out three days a week right now, but that is because I am still recovering from surgery in December (holy hell does recovery take a long time!) and I don't want to push myself beyond what I'm ready for.

DUDE! I am so impressed!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:34 am 
Impressive boner

I've always had shoulder problems as I tend to hunch at my desk and can remember getting awful, painful knots in my neck when I was 17/18. I started training with my current coach last April and have been doing quite a lot of overhead lifts that I'd not done before, but this brought about some niggly muscle problems in my shoulders. The first time it happened after training I couldn't use my left arm to weight bear at all, not even to get myself in or out of bed or the bath. It cleared up on it's own within a month, but it came back again two weeks ago.

At the moment my shoulder is so uncomfortable that it disturbs my sleep and I've barely trained in two weeks. I get aches down my left arm to the elbow, around to the front of my ribs, up the back of my neck and sometimes get a headache. For the last week I've been self-massaging with a hockey ball and have been using anti-inflammatories, muscle rub gels, heat patches, etc but it seems to be gradually getting worse.

I've got my first 'training for competition' schedule and I'm grumpy about not lifting anything. I really, really want to get my squat weight up to 60kg by the end of May.

I've put it off several times but now I'm finally going to see an osteopath, today at 2.30pm. He's come recommended as being experienced in working with kettlebell users so I really hope he can help me out and alleviate the pain. I don't mind if I need follow-up sessions, I want to train, dammit!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:49 am 
Huffs Nooch

8ball wrote:
I've always had shoulder problems as I tend to hunch at my desk and can remember getting awful, painful knots in my neck when I was 17/18. I started training with my current coach last April and have been doing quite a lot of overhead lifts that I'd not done before, but this brought about some niggly muscle problems in my shoulders. The first time it happened after training I couldn't use my left arm to weight bear at all, not even to get myself in or out of bed or the bath. It cleared up on it's own within a month, but it came back again two weeks ago.

At the moment my shoulder is so uncomfortable that it disturbs my sleep and I've barely trained in two weeks. I get aches down my left arm to the elbow, around to the front of my ribs, up the back of my neck and sometimes get a headache. For the last week I've been self-massaging with a hockey ball and have been using anti-inflammatories, muscle rub gels, heat patches, etc but it seems to be gradually getting worse.

I've got my first 'training for competition' schedule and I'm grumpy about not lifting anything. I really, really want to get my squat weight up to 60kg by the end of May.

I've put it off several times but now I'm finally going to see an osteopath, today at 2.30pm. He's come recommended as being experienced in working with kettlebell users so I really hope he can help me out and alleviate the pain. I don't mind if I need follow-up sessions, I want to train, dammit!

Sorry if I'm repeating stuff you've already heard, but shoulder problems of the type you describe are often caused by folk doing too much pressing/pushing work in comparison to the amount of pulling work they do. Obviously any form of overhead exercise is a press/push so you could be aggravating the issue. Ideally you should be aiming for a 1:1 press:pull ratio e.g. if you do x reps of a pressing lift like bench/overhead you should then do x reps of a pulling exercise like pull ups or dumbell rows.

You sometimes hear people say that in order to maximize size/strength gains you should do more pressing than pulling because the muscle mass activated by the former is greater than the latter e.g. triceps are much larger than biceps. Again though longer term this can lead to shoulder problems.

Pull ups (or chin ups) can be tough to do depending on your strength level so rows are a better option for many. Apart from being an awesome way to build strength in your arms & back, doing rows regularly is excellent 'prehab' for your shoulders. Another good option is to use powerlifting bands if you have access to them - I don't generally do any isolation work but I do use bands at least 2 or 3 times a week to do stuff like pull-aparts purely for shoulder health, even though I've never had shoulder issues.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:13 am 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Also, with the shoulder, strengthening the right muscles is key, and a session or two with a competent physical therapist can get you right on your way. I was making good progress with my shoulder just doing stretching and light weights to get movement in areas that were under worked. Like Jim XVX said above: Isolation exercises.

But now, I'm on crutches, I've got a whole nother set of issues and shoulder pain, but I will definitely go back to PT as soon as my leg is sorted.

Mr. Sz ended up having to have shoulder surgery and I never want that, so strengthening is a prime motivation for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:17 pm 
Impressive boner

Thanks for the advice above. I often do circuits of different pulling/pushing exercises, for example a set of jerks followed by a set of bent over rows, but this episode was triggered by an unusually large amount of pushing exercises all done in one go.

The osteopath believes that the problem stems from one or two sticky rib joints by my left shoulder blade which have become inflamed and brought about associated muscular inflammation. He did some manipulation and massage and I'll be having another session next week. He recommended some stretches and techniques to build into my routine and also emailed these to my coach. It still hurts but I'm hoping it'll start to abate over the coming days.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm finding it completely bewildering that tonight I decided I really wanted to eat my normal stir-fried veggies + grain/protein and spices because it would make me feel better on my run tomorrow (as opposed to possibly fried, definitely oily/salty takeout) and also chose not to get alcohol.

(Considering what's been going on, I'm kind of shocked I didn't get alcohol! I feel like I'm missing out!)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:00 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I really like this thread. I am still trying to lose weight but it really took me to accept my body just the way it is now and to finally stop forking hating it to get myself to a place where making healthy choices for myself was something I wanted to do, rather than something I should do.

I've just started yoga (literally just started, I got a beginners DVD and the first few routines are basically just lying on the floor, breathing and doing a few twists) and it is so relaxing that I really feel the benefits to my mental health already. I've also started running again. I would love to do some strength training but I find it intimidating, especially as the people in my gym are not the most approachable.

Mostly, I am looking to find a lifestyle that will allow me to reduce the smorgasbord of medications I take for my bipolar.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:32 pm 

lillianp wrote:
I'm finding it completely bewildering that tonight I decided I really wanted to eat my normal stir-fried veggies + grain/protein and spices because it would make me feel better on my run tomorrow (as opposed to possibly fried, definitely oily/salty takeout) and also chose not to get alcohol.

This totally happens -- and with increased regularity.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:41 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

~Sz wrote:
lillianp wrote:

This happened to me last night! I realized at the end of the day I had only had a green smoothie and two salads at the end of the day, and it was all exactly what I had wanted to eat. I feel like I've come a long way towards wanting to eat healthier.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:44 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Nebraskalaska wrote:
~Sz wrote:
lillianp wrote:

This happened to me last night! I realized at the end of the day I had only had a green smoothie and two salads at the end of the day, and it was all exactly what I had wanted to eat. I feel like I've come a long way towards wanting to eat healthier.

Yeah it's pretty awesome when that happens! I'm currently going through the opposite phase, where I'll realize all I ate all day was a tempeh BLT, a bowl of pasta, and a bowl of cereal. BUT summer is coming, and I know I'll get back on the smoothie/salad train as soon as the weather gets nicer - it happens every year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:55 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Nebraskalaska wrote:
~Sz wrote:
lillianp wrote:

It's definitely been happening to me with increased regularity! Part of it is that I've been in therapy for 15 months to do with emotional eating and generalized anxiety and in the last couple months, I feel like I've really started to put the tools together for handling the emotional urges to eat. Part of it is that it's getting warmer and nicer outside, which usually results in me wanting to eat more veggies, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:21 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i made a healthy choice last week which sounds like the biggest cop out ever- i avoided the gym on tuesday because i knew it was going to be all bombs, all the time on the TVs. there is no place that escapes the TVs in tehre and i just couldn't do it. i was a big wreck on Tuesday and just had to say no- mental health comes first.
the rest of the days i have had the most mind-blowing workouts [super hard, super intense] feeling i need to make up for it and it has been so nice. also, i have been able to sleep because of intensity. i was reaching the point where running 5k every day just wasn't working to make me sleep well at night anymore, but throw in some intensity/speed/hills and it still works! what a relief.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:58 am 
Impressive boner

Well done torque, sounds like a good decision.

I decided to train yesterday, later on in the evening as my shoulder seems to ache more in the mornings. Today it feels better for the exercise.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:44 pm 

Lillianp: Congrats! Isn't it awesome to make progress like that? I agree that the warmer weather makes it easier to eat lighter, but recognizing and avoiding emotional eating is huge progress. You go!

Torque: Also, don't underestimate the power of a rest day. We build strength when we rest, not when we work out. At least that is how I understand it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:33 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Today is my last day of processed foods...my roommate and I are veging on the sofa with pizza, chips, fig bars, hummus, and crackers. Not the craziest of unhealthy afternoons, but it's a fun blowout for me. I bought a ton of veggies today, so I'm going to start sticking to salads, healthy pastas, sandwiches, and the like. I'm really, really excited. I forgot how yummy all these foods are. I'm even going to brave artichokes!

I did my first run today and I'm fixing my bike tomorrow, finally.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:40 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I ate two Clif bars today. So much for cutting back.

I need to go shopping. When the fridge gets bare, my meals get "creative" and not in a good way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:44 am 
Seagull of the PPK

just reupped my gym for another 6 months! have been having really good workouts and enjoying it a lot, so i figured why not. And I simply can't run outside between sun, weather, the need to shower when my runs are between appointments, etc.
(the gym is RIDICULOUSLY expensive, depending on the plan, but if you pay by the month it's $115/month. Which in local currency translates into a tank of gas, an expensive dermatologist visit, a grocery trip, or two hours of my professional time. I got $89/month by paying the 6 months in advance, and I'm using it at least 3-4 times a week, some weeks every day.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:23 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I need to do some work on my PMA (Positive Mental Attitude). I did crappy in a race yesterday, and I just couldn't shake the feelings of total frustration and being super mad at myself. What made it worse was the fact that I didn't WANT to be in a funk about it, but I could not snap out of it. I shouldn't even be so down on myself, since everyone else in the race that got dropped quit, and I finished. I will tell you what: it takes guts to finish out your laps all by yourself with everyone watching.

In happier news, I'm seeing my physical therapist today, so hopefully I will get on the path to strengthening my shoulder and making it feel better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:22 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Torque--$89 Reais? I think that's a great deal! The average gym around here would be around $120 reais easily.

jordanpattern, I think that is AWESOME that you didn't quit. A million years ago when I was on the middle school track team and the only one willing to run the mile, every time I was the last one to finish. OK, once I came in 3rd. So I understand somewhat how it's like to be out there on your own with people watching. But you know what? I did my best. You did your best! And even if you couldn't get your body to preform the way your mind wanted it to, it's a process, and you're getting stronger.

I dipped my toe in the stronglift 5 x 5 pool with doing a workout with 10lb dumbbells. I don't think I'm going to have any problems with 15lb dumbbells, but working my way up from 10lb gives me a confidence boost that I think I needed. Lifting heavy things! (ETA: Eventually lifting heavy things anyway!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next