| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Choices and Advice
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:25 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Go JoPa! That is so cool.

For the water drinkers, are you thirsty? If you're not thirsty, your pee isn't super dark and you're eating fruits and veg with high water content I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you're really active, most people don't need as much water as the arbitrary "8 glasses" that floats around.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We moved a couple weeks ago and I went from walking everyday, several miles, sometimes carrying a toddler, to well, not much. We swim everyday, but nothing aerobic. I had decided a while ago that once we moved I would join a gym, of course this means finding childcare which has been a struggle for me in the past. Where we had been living everything was so expensive that I couldn't afford childcare or any kind of paid sports/workout. Well, Thursday we are going to tour a preschool, if all goes well I have picked out a gym already!

On another note, we are all trying to eat healthier and have a little more time for ourselves. I start a weaving class in two weeks!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:44 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

j-dub wrote:

For the water drinkers, are you thirsty? If you're not thirsty, your pee isn't super dark and you're eating fruits and veg with high water content I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you're really active, most people don't need as much water as the arbitrary "8 glasses" that floats around.

This.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:13 pm 
Dead by dawn

emmalv wrote:
j-dub wrote:

This.

Yeah, and you can count any non-alcoholic liquids towards your water intake as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:13 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Huh. Good stuff to know re: water intake. I've been shooting for six glasses, but usually only was having four if that. I'm not particularly thirsty, but I'm not not thirsty, if that makes sense. I drink when I'm thirsty. I don't know.

JoPa: That is superb!!

Littlebear: I hope the preschool works out! I think it's wonderful you're taking some time for yourself.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:20 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Eating watermelon and my SodaStream (magical sparkling water creator) changed my super dehydrated life. Until recently! I have been really bad about water and supplementing. I drink water out of 1-litre mason jars at work, but when I'm not at work I kind of just stop drinking water. I know I need more, but since I don't get a chance to really eat at work, I tend to just fill up on food and wine when I'm off.

I think I need to bring all of my vitamins to work so I'll actually take them.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't really get thirsty but sometimes I'll get headaches from being dehydrated without realising it's happening. I think that my brain, left to its own devices, is bad at recognising when I need to drink so I need to be more active about thinking about it.

I drank two bottles of water today and I peed a ridiculous amount. Like I would leave my desk to go pee, then by the time I got back I would almost have to go straight back again. But aside from that, I felt really good and more energised all day. I can deal with the peeing for that! It also forced me to walk around rather than sitting at my desk all day, which is always a plus.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:14 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

littlebear wrote:
We moved a couple weeks ago and I went from walking everyday, several miles, sometimes carrying a toddler, to well, not much. We swim everyday, but nothing aerobic. I had decided a while ago that once we moved I would join a gym, of course this means finding childcare which has been a struggle for me in the past. Where we had been living everything was so expensive that I couldn't afford childcare or any kind of paid sports/workout. Well, Thursday we are going to tour a preschool, if all goes well I have picked out a gym already!

On another note, we are all trying to eat healthier and have a little more time for ourselves. I start a weaving class in two weeks!

I have seen gyms around here with child care. They might have that there too!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Your bladder will adjust to the water intake, but yeah the first week will include lots of bathroom time.

I am going to sign up for a race in early September with a goal of a sub-50 minute 10k. I think this will give me the motivation I need.

I'm also setting up a little meditation area in my room to encourage me to "practice" mindfulness.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:21 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I am thirsty allllll the time. My pee is usually a good color unless I'm just waking up. But thirsty all the time! I get uncomfortable feeling if I'm not carrying my water bottle around all the time. I don't know if there could be other causes besides just not drinking enough, because I definitely drink more than others. My docs have never seemed concerned.

I should make more fizzy water in my soda club! (Mine is so old, its before they changed their name to soda stream!)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:25 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

lycophyte wrote:
I am thirsty allllll the time. My pee is usually a good color unless I'm just waking up. But thirsty all the time! I get uncomfortable feeling if I'm not carrying my water bottle around all the time. I don't know if there could be other causes besides just not drinking enough, because I definitely drink more than others. My docs have never seemed concerned.

I should make more fizzy water in my soda club! (Mine is so old, its before they changed their name to soda stream!)

Me too, I have to carry a water bottle around constantly because I get SO thirsty. Like right now my water bottle is empty because I finished it ten minutes ago, and I am thirsty again. It's very annoying. My fiance barely drinks a thing so we are complete opposites!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:10 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

vixki wrote:
lycophyte wrote:

Me too, I have to carry a water bottle around constantly because I get SO thirsty. Like right now my water bottle is empty because I finished it ten minutes ago, and I am thirsty again. It's very annoying. My fiance barely drinks a thing so we are complete opposites!

Have you tried coconut water? Sometimes I get so insatiably thirsty and that's the only thing that helps.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:50 pm 

I drink coconut water, too sometimes! I especially like it after a work out, but it is great for when you're feeling super thirsty.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:49 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Coconut water is the best. I try to drink at least one large can the day before every race I do, since it's really good at helping you get/stay hydrated.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:54 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I've had it on occasion but not as practice. I usually end up adding an emergen-c packet for electrolytes at least once a day though.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:43 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I went clothes shopping yesterday for the first time in a long time, and considering I was shopping for a funeral dress, I wasn't in the best state of mind. However, while in the awfulness of the dressing room I noticed I just look... better, somehow, to me. I can't think of another way to put it. So my healthy win is that ditching the scale, eating more instead of pseudo-starving, and focusing on health and strength is good for me physically but I think its being good to me mentally too, which is probably even more important. I for sure feel more accepting of myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:26 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

June is going to (hopefully) be a month of tightening my financial belt, since my boyfriend and I are moving into our fancy new place July 1, and we'll have to acquire a lot of stuff. I'm looking forward to meal planning and cooking a fair bit, since that always saves us money, and has the added bonus of being healthy and making us both feel awesome. We don't eat out all that much as it is, but we've been really busy the last week or so and have probably had a little more pizza and waffles than is ideal, particularly for a couple of bike racers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:29 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

So I did the same workout last night as I did last Wednesday (just a bunch of squats, press-ups, lunges etc.) and the difference in my fitness levels in such a short period of time completely blew me away. Last week I was struggling after my warm-up! I have been walking a lot and started a beginners running programme and I find it so cool. I've been forcing myself to rest on the rest days, with maybe a little bit of yoga, and that is making a huge difference for me. I have a tendency to go all out and then wear myself down and quit.

Still, for the first time in my life I think my body is pretty cool!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:30 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

So I did the same workout last night as I did last Wednesday (just a bunch of squats, press-ups, lunges etc.) and the difference in my fitness levels in such a short period of time completely blew me away. Last week I was struggling after my warm-up! I have been walking a lot and started a beginners running programme and I find it so cool. I've been forcing myself to rest on the rest days, with maybe a little bit of yoga, and that is making a huge difference for me. I have a tendency to go all out and then wear myself down and quit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:15 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Sarah-Jane, what running program are you doing? I would like to start one in the fall, it is too hot for me to start running now (110+ everyday).

I went to a barre class yesterday, it was great! I really enjoyed it and I can't wait to go back. I am sore, but not too sore.

We have also been eating in a lot, in fact I haven't eaten out once this week, which I'm pretty sure is a record for me. It feels good to meal plan and open my fridge and have food I am excited to eat. Nate was upset at the grocery bill for the week, but I think in the long run it will be way cheaper.

Grey started preschool this week, so I am starting to get some time for myself, that is also really nice. I started a weaving class last weekend and I start a second one today. I am really excited to be learning new skills.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:17 pm 

I'm eating one of the new Pro Bar Core protein bars right now, cookie dough flavor, and it is so good. Definitely not low cal or anything, but 20 grams protein, flax and chia seeds, gluten free, and chocolate and delicious. I'm hoping it proves a good pre/post workout snack!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:57 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Sarah-Jane wrote:

I'm experiencing the same sort of the thing right now! I used to struggle so much in certain yoga postures and things are becoming so much easier for me the more I practice. It's very exciting!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:24 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

ndpittman wrote:
Pro Bar Core protein bars right now, cookie dough flavor

Be still my heart! I want to by a box of them on Amazon just from your description! I am in love with anything cookie dough (*sigh*). Maybe I should look for single bars first.

Thanks for this! Pro bars are calorie dense but very satisfying and generally very digestible when hiking or biking.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:35 pm 

~Sz wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
Pro Bar Core protein bars right now, cookie dough flavor

Be still my heart! I want to by a box of them on Amazon just from your description! I am in love with anything cookie dough (*sigh*). Maybe I should look for single bars first.

Thanks for this! Pro bars are calorie dense but very satisfying and generally very digestible when hiking or biking.

I found the new Core bar far superior to the meal bar. It reminded me more of a Luna bar. Chocolate, crunchy stuff and chocolate, and a layer of cookie dough. And no weird stevia/protein powder taste. I feel it's my duty to try all of the flavors. I'll report back.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:15 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I love all the ProBar stuff, and I keep meaning to order a couple boxes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next