| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Choices and Advice
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:37 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

ndpittman wrote:
I feel it's my duty to try all of the flavors. I'll report back.

Hooray! Do report back!

(I just ordered a box of 12.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:21 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

I thought the cookie dough core bar was way really, really sugary.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:51 am 
Huffs Nooch

Nebraskalaska wrote:

^ This.

These products are basically just high protein candy bars - not a problem post workout when some high GI carbs are needed but not a good source of protein for general consumption due to all the sugars. Obviously they're convenient & tasty but stupidly overpriced for what you're getting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:15 am 
Nailed to the V

jordanpattern wrote:
I love all the ProBar stuff, and I keep meaning to order a couple boxes.

I just looked for them on AmazonUK as I am always happy to have portable stuff to eat ...

they seem quite expensive ... almost 3 quid a bar ... I will look around town to find one to taste test before buying a boxful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:08 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

JimXVX wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

^ This.

These products are basically just high protein candy bars - not a problem post workout when some high GI carbs are needed but not a good source of protein for general consumption due to all the sugars. Obviously they're convenient & tasty but stupidly overpriced for what you're getting.

Well, that's what they're for (providing high GI carbs and protein post workout). They're not health food or diet food. They are specifically designed to fill a specific nutritional need, and they do it well and are vegan to boot. I, for one, am a fan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:40 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yup, that's why I said they're definitely not low-cal. I really liked it though, and it doesn't have that much more sugar than a Luna bar, which is what I usually have. And it has over double the protein. I do really like candy bars though. I guess if you're sensitive to sweet things give it a pass. I was actually wondering if you'd tried it, JoPa.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:09 am 

Yup! They aren't meal replacement or snacky.

When one is expending enough energy to create significant caloric deficit (or before or after same) pro bars are the ticket! For me the key is taste, protein and digestibility.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:12 am 

ndpittman wrote:
a Luna bar, which is what I usually have.

Luna's are my go-to for hunger between meals, out and about and that sort of thing.

The other nice thing about pro-bars is their availability -- they are found pretty much everywhere I see Clif bars.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:17 am 
Huffs Nooch

teacup wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
I love all the ProBar stuff, and I keep meaning to order a couple boxes.

I just looked for them on AmazonUK as I am always happy to have portable stuff to eat ...

they seem quite expensive ... almost 3 quid a bar ... I will look around town to find one to taste test before buying a boxful.

On a related note in case it's of interest fro UK folk, Asda are currently doing the new peanut 9 Bar (the only vegan flavour) at 2 for £1. 10g protein per 50g bar so you can get the 20g you'd get from a much more pricey protein bar for £1.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:14 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

jordanpattern wrote:
JimXVX wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

^ This.

Well, that's what they're for (providing high GI carbs and protein post workout). They're not health food or diet food. They are specifically designed to fill a specific nutritional need, and they do it well and are vegan to boot. I, for one, am a fan.

Yeah, for me it was just a matter of taste. Generally after working out I don't want anything super sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I need advice!

I really want to drink less. It's not that I drink a ton, but I've realized that I feel so forking good when I'm not drinking...crazy, I know. The problem is all my friends are in their early twenties, so, of course, we go out and drink or stay in and drink. I love beer, and I love gin, and I love drinking. But I want to drink one or two drinks a night, not three to six.
Do you all have any good approaches to slowing myself down/convincing myself to have less? I felt like crepe this morning after only three beers, and I really prefer waking up happy and energized.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:49 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

missdelaney wrote:
I need advice!

I really want to drink less. It's not that I drink a ton, but I've realized that I feel so forking good when I'm not drinking...crazy, I know. The problem is all my friends are in their early twenties, so, of course, we go out and drink or stay in and drink. I love beer, and I love gin, and I love drinking. But I want to drink one or two drinks a night, not three to six.
Do you all have any good approaches to slowing myself down/convincing myself to have less? I felt like crepe this morning after only three beers, and I really prefer waking up happy and energized.

Have one drink then switch to something non-alcoholic but yummy? I like something like a cranberry-tonic--it still feels festive and yummy but you won't be facing a hangover in the morning.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:29 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've been drinking less too, mostly because it costs so much to buy alcohol these days. What I tend to do is ask for a pint of water to go with whatever alcoholic drink I'm having (generally a pint of cider or beer). Soda water with ice and lemon is nice. Helps a lot to start off doing that, because if I start with an alcoholic drink but no accompanying water I'm more likely to forget to get water at the next round or before it's too late.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:52 am 
WRETCHED

I pretty much stopped drinking in my early twenties. Most of my friends didn't drink or didn't drink a lot. I just kind of stopped completely. We would usually drink when we were playing pool or something but it was easy enough for me to switch to soda instead at the time.

The problem I had was with my family because it is kind of a cultural thing so it was a big deal when I didn't drink at first. I just said I wasn't interested and eventually they didn't care.

If you want something 'drink like', I do recommend the seltzer with lemon/lime because it kind of looks like a drink but isn't. I've used that when out with new people who were definitely interested in drinking and I obviously wasn't.

Now I say I drink a glass of wine or something once per year but it is really rare. I didn't have any alcohol for 10 years or so and I didn't miss it at all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:18 am 

A lot of times I only have drinks with food. This helps me a lot because if i drink on an empty stomach it's just asking for trouble. Basically I don't drink much at all unless I'm having dinner that would be lovely paired with a glass of wine or beer. Or I say to myself, "One and done." That doesn't always work, but it does sometimes. Great suggestions about soda water. Or if you're having drinks at home or someone's place, you can always put less alcohol in the drink (if it's a mixed drink or whatever). My dad likes bourbon and coke, but he only puts a shot of bourbon to a can of Coke and lots of ice.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:55 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Another vote for the club soda strategy. I'll have only club soda if let's say I want to go out for happy hour but not drink because I 'll lose all motivation to do anything when I get home, or I'll switch it in between drinks if its one of those out all night nights.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:39 pm 

I overserved myself last night at a neighborhood happy hour and my bike ride this morning was for shiitake.

Sadly, I think there is a connection. I need to drink less as well. I just can't deal with social situations without it though. Good goddess I feel like an alcoholic of some sort.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:48 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I slowed down by basically forcing myself to drink a bottle of water between drinks. A)it actually quenches real thirst and keeps you from dehydrating and waking with a hangover and B) makes you want to stop sooner and c) doesn't look all that weird? I feel awkward empty handed when everyone else has a beverage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:26 pm 

Oh man, good choice! I'm going to adopt that plan. I haven't been keeping up with my H20 either so I've been doing a double whammy to myself. Earn the beer. Good call!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Drinking is my problem area too! I eat relatively well and exercise a little, though not as often as I should. I decided today that I need to start setting a limit when I go out, and actually stick to it. Three drinks is pretty much my threshold for not feeling like shiitake the next day, and I've gained about 10 pounds this year, which I mostly attribute to going to bars more frequently. The water between drinks trick is a lifesaver.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

creep wrote:
Drinking is my problem area too! I eat relatively well and exercise a little, though not as often as I should. I decided today that I need to start setting a limit when I go out, and actually stick to it. Three drinks is pretty much my threshold for not feeling like shiitake the next day, and I've gained about 10 pounds this year, which I mostly attribute to going to bars more frequently. The water between drinks trick is a lifesaver.

I did it! Last night we went out and I just drank club soda with lime (since my go-to drink is a gin and tonic, this was a nice substitute). I left a five dollar tip (saving myself another fifteen bucks!) and had an awesome night and woke up feeling great and went on a run! It was actually a really pleasant night for me.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Good job, waking up not feeling shitty sounds awesome! I'm jumping on the "one small glass of wine at night" bandwagon for now, and if we go out this weekend, I'm setting a limit. I don't do well with not having things at all. I just need to keep it reasonable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:49 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
Pro Bar Core protein bars right now, cookie dough flavor, and it is so good.

#1 Fan. These are amazeballs!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:14 pm 

~Sz wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
Pro Bar Core protein bars right now, cookie dough flavor, and it is so good.

#1 Fan. These are amazeballs!

I am so glad you like them!! I was hoping you wouldn't be disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Awesome missdelaney! I find it really hard to not have something in my hand while socializing, so having a non-alcoholic drink works really well. Plus the money saving aspect is great!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next