| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Choices and Advice
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:24 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Have fun menu planning, paperweight! It's one of my favourite things.

Here's a tip about the roasted chickpeas: if you want really crunchy "like store bought" roasted chickpeas use dried, soaked chickpeas and don't cook them first. Honestly, forget roasting canned chickpeas. This way takes some prep but is FAR superior.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:36 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

studio wrote:
Have fun menu planning, paperweight! It's one of my favourite things.

Here's a tip about the roasted chickpeas: if you want really crunchy "like store bought" roasted chickpeas use dried, soaked chickpeas and don't cook them first. Honestly, forget roasting canned chickpeas. This way takes some prep but is FAR superior.

How long do you roast the soaked chickpeas and at what temp?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:50 pm 

I usually roast for about 20 minutes at 400. That's pretty approximate because its important to watch them and stir them so they don't burn. I toss them in a little oil and whatever spices/flavours I want and pop them in the oven but remember to dry off the chickpeas with a teatowel or something before so the oil coats well.

That's it!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:58 am 

Sounds super easy! Thanks!

I've roasted already cooked (from dried) chickpeas before, and they've never gotten crunchy. Just dry. I still kind of like them that way, but not really as a snack food. I'm definitely trying it your way.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:28 pm 
Chip Strong

[quote="emmalv"

Anyway, I recently just started lurking on the Eat More 2 Weigh Less website and on the subforum on My Fitness Pal. Depending on what you are looking for, you could try those? Thus far I have not encountered snarkiness. The members are primarily female and they all seem really supportive and striving to be fit, healthy, and happy - including mentally and emotionally, not just physically.[/quote]

After reading your post emmalv, I checked this out. It looks really interesting. GoKaleo, I'm not sure why, just didn't click with me. The Eat More 2 Weigh Less group on MFP is hugely popular, good to see other women who are tired of under-eating.
I'll continue to lurk - thank you for posting this suggestion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

No problem Jean! Hopefully you find some good info. Like I said, the ladies who run it seem really supportive and reasonable. I'm learning a lot so far...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:37 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm reviving this thread!

Since about September, I've been eating way too many sugary snacks. It's just been so easy to bring my laptop and go work at Sweetpea bakery, or some other place with great vegan pastries, and I've just been getting too many of my calories from refined sugars and flours. It doesn't make me feel good, and it doesn't fuel me properly, particularly when I'm training a lot. So, as of this week, I've made a real effort to cut down. I bought some dried apricots and dates for when I'm craving something a little sweet, and I succeeded at hanging out at one of my favorite cafes without getting a cookie. I've been doing a good job of cooking good, nutritious dinners, and eating leftovers for lunches, and my energy levels are starting to come around.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:05 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yea, jordanpattern! I'm glad to hear that! I've been comfort eating way too many refined carbs/sugar, so I'm in a similar boat (although I'm not racing, I liked working toward my fitness goals). This week has been about consistency in working out, and next week is going to be getting the diet shored up again. I did make a nice spaghetti squash bake for dinner last night and lunch today though! Nutritious dinners and left-overs for lunch make a huge difference. I'm going to spend some time with AFR and Isa Does It this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:36 pm 
Dead by dawn

Yeah, since my season ended in mid-September I have been eating less just because, hey, when you're not training like a fiend it turns out you're not necessarily hungry for second breakfast! Who knew? BUT, I have not been eating well. My layoff notice came days into my off-season and I don't think I'm depressed or anything, just... not maybe in the greatest place ever, motivation-wise. The result has been too many mug brownies. My last day at work is next Wednesday and while I really want a new job asap, I am looking forward to making the break from this place and using it as a fresh start in a few ways, including taking advantage of the extra time I have on my hands to cook better meals and plan better snacks. Over the next year taking care of myself by eating well will be all-important and I keep reminding myself that you can't out-train a bad diet. If I am going to work my asparagus off to be in the best shape of my life for Ironman, I am only doing myself a disservice if I don't make the most of my training by fueling right. (It doesn't mean no mug brownies - or nachos, or whatever - just a lot fewer!)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:07 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've been a bit sad and neglecting looking after myself recently (like forgetting meals due to stress/illness, then getting really hungry and eating less-than-optimal meals because they're quick to make and feeling crappy afterwards), so I've decided that this weekend I'm going to make a specific meal plan for the coming week and stick to it, along with specified activities to get me out of the flat on my bike or just walking.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:05 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

monkeytoes wrote:
I am only doing myself a disservice if I don't make the most of my training by fueling right. (It doesn't mean no mug brownies - or nachos, or whatever - just a lot fewer!)

Yup! Not to mention, I think I enjoy those treats more when they're actually, you know, treats, as opposed to staples of my diet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:55 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

jordanpattern wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
I am only doing myself a disservice if I don't make the most of my training by fueling right. (It doesn't mean no mug brownies - or nachos, or whatever - just a lot fewer!)

Yup! Not to mention, I think I enjoy those treats more when they're actually, you know, treats, as opposed to staples of my diet.

100% this.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:58 pm 

I've eaten 3 Clif bars today and not much else. Not a healthy choice and I feel like crepe! Gotta go grocery shopping after work. I cannot put it off any longer or I'll just be eating fistfuls of flour.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

ashley wrote:
I've eaten 3 Clif bars today and not much else. Not a healthy choice and I feel like crepe! Gotta go grocery shopping after work. I cannot put it off any longer or I'll just be eating fistfuls of flour.

Mmmm, balanced. Make sure you wash it down with soda or booze for nutrition!

It took me a lot of willpower to eat healthy today. I really just wanted pretzels.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:20 pm 
Dead by dawn

My healthy choice lately has been getting plenty of sleep. I had a really terrible long run a couple of weeks ago; I was overtired from three late nights in a row and ended up my run with puking and hives (then took benadryl and slept for like 14 hours.) I have been much more conscientious about getting enough sleep after that and it makes SUCH a big difference. Yesterday was a demanding day physically and I was worried about how today's long run would go. My legs are shot but my run was so good, just 180 degrees difference from a couple of weeks ago and really the only change is that I am making sure to be well-rested. Sleep, people! It's as important as smart fueling.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:37 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Yeah, Mtoes! It's hard to do, the world just seems so much more interesting at bedtime! One of the silver-linings(ish) of having IBS is that I have to get enough sleep or I pay for it the next day. It's a bit hippy-doodle, but I sort of think that my health implosion was my body's way of telling me I can't be scheduled to the hilt and have to take better care of myself. All the things I was skimping on (sleep, proper nutrition, stress-maintenance) are no longer optional for me if I want to be a functional person.

My healthy choice lately has been the decision to walk everywhere that's less than an hour away. Since I'm a student with a two hour commute on days I'm on campus I do a LOT of sitting. Even running or lifting weights a few times a week just doesn't come close to undoing that, so I aim to hit 10,000 steps a day and I'd say I do it 6.5 days a week. If nothing else it's great for my mental health and gives me lots of time to listen to podcasts and explore the city!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:37 pm 

I need to make your walking goal my goal too, j-dub. I needed dish soap and almond milk tonight, so I got in my car and drove half a mile to Target. How forking stupid is that?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:56 pm 

ashley wrote:
I need to make your walking goal my goal too, j-dub. I needed dish soap and almond milk tonight, so I got in my car and drove half a mile to Target. How forking stupid is that?

Do you have a pedometer or activity tracker? It's super satisfying to hit 10,000 and then I put a star sticker in my agenda for each day I do (and double stars for when I work out too!). I'm like a wee child but stickers help!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:39 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

monkeytoes wrote:
My healthy choice lately has been getting plenty of sleep. I had a really terrible long run a couple of weeks ago; I was overtired from three late nights in a row and ended up my run with puking and hives (then took benadryl and slept for like 14 hours.) I have been much more conscientious about getting enough sleep after that and it makes SUCH a big difference. Yesterday was a demanding day physically and I was worried about how today's long run would go. My legs are shot but my run was so good, just 180 degrees difference from a couple of weeks ago and really the only change is that I am making sure to be well-rested. Sleep, people! It's as important as smart fueling.

OMG yes. I did my first "real" (aka over 40 mile) ride in ages yesterday, and I was so exhausted! I rode by myself, and it was windy, so it was harder than if I'd ridden with a group. I went out for dinner with the boyfriend, had one drink with dinner, and basically passed out at 8:30. Good thing, too, because I rode out and back from my race today. My legs were sore, but I actually raced pretty well! That definitely wouldn't have been the case if I hadn't gotten so much sleep the night before.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:14 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I've decided that December is 'green smoothie a day' month. Trying to build better habits and all that jazz.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:06 pm 

I've let the stress of my new job and promotion get to me and have sacrificed my healthy living of the last couple of years. I've barely found time to run and have been eating out constantly. Not surprisingly I've gained some weight and feel exhausted all the time.

No more of this, I'm taking some of my life back and work will just have to wait.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:51 pm 

My problem with healthy choices is that it's easy to fall out of them and hard to build back up. Like I used to be really good about taking my vitamins, because the pill sorter I had was a stackable one so I had to keep it on my desk. Then it started not being big enough, so I got the regular kind and kept it in a drawer, which means I only saw it when I opened the drawer. Since we've moved I haven't established a very good place to keep the bottles either. And I really need to start taking my St. Johns Wort and Vitamin D because winter is coming.

So i'm thinking about printing out a note for myself in big letters that I can tape to my computer screen and flip over the screen every night (and flip over the back when i've done it) that says something like:

Good morning! Have you:

*Eaten Breakfast
*Exercised
*Taken Your Vitamins
*???

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:55 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
My problem with healthy choices is that it's easy to fall out of them and hard to build back up. Like I used to be really good about taking my vitamins, because the pill sorter I had was a stackable one so I had to keep it on my desk. Then it started not being big enough, so I got the regular kind and kept it in a drawer, which means I only saw it when I opened the drawer. Since we've moved I haven't established a very good place to keep the bottles either. And I really need to start taking my St. Johns Wort and Vitamin D because winter is coming.

So i'm thinking about printing out a note for myself in big letters that I can tape to my computer screen and flip over the screen every night (and flip over the back when i've done it) that says something like:

Good morning! Have you:

*Eaten Breakfast
*Exercised
*Taken Your Vitamins
*???

I set an alarm linked to both my computer and phone that reminds me to take my vitamins in the morning. Funnily enough that reminder only works if I have filled my pillsorter and left it near my bed...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:01 pm 

Yeah that's the thing, I need to be able to keep the bottles and the sorter near a surface where I can sort them. My regular desk works for that, but it's in an uninsulated sun room (with a fireplace), so once it gets below 55 it's too cold to stay out there, so all I have is a makeshift desk on a table with no drawers and I don't have the space to keep things on top of it. So I think i'm going to have to make room in one of the kitchen cabinets.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:23 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

mrsbadmouth wrote:
make room in one of the kitchen cabinets.

This is what I do. My medicine and my M-F thingy (is that a pill sorter?) is right in the main cabinet with the plates and bowls.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next