| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Choices and Advice
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:58 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

this sounds really infantile but the best thing so far, for me exercising and other daily goals, has been to put a circle or star or whatever on the calendar. my motivation to continue is really, remarkably stronger when i can see the marks on the calendar, and then i remember to do it. the online trackers and stuff are good, but not as good as that. your sign sounds awesome too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:44 am 
Level 7 Vegan

torque wrote:
this sounds really infantile but the best thing so far, for me exercising and other daily goals, has been to put a circle or star or whatever on the calendar. my motivation to continue is really, remarkably stronger when i can see the marks on the calendar, and then i remember to do it. the online trackers and stuff are good, but not as good as that. your sign sounds awesome too.

I do this too, it works ridiculously well. Another stupid-sounding trick that works absurdly well is to give myself immediate and systematic positive reinforcement, like fist pumping and saying "alright!" Brains are weird.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:19 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'm pretty proud of myself for cooking a lot over the weekend and portioning everything out for the week. It's been so easy to grab and go. I eat all my meals and snacks except dinner at work, and by the time I get home in the evening I'm too brain dead to cook, so having stuff ready just makes my life so much easier. And I've eaten no packaged foods so far this week. I'm going to try to make myself do this every weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:19 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Yeah that's the thing, I need to be able to keep the bottles and the sorter near a surface where I can sort them. My regular desk works for that, but it's in an uninsulated sun room (with a fireplace), so once it gets below 55 it's too cold to stay out there, so all I have is a makeshift desk on a table with no drawers and I don't have the space to keep things on top of it. So I think i'm going to have to make room in one of the kitchen cabinets.

I'm one of those people who always want breakfast, so I keep my pills next to the tea can, that way I see them in the morning.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:32 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Just read through this thread, it's been great. I'm in a herbie group on facebook and it is driving me a bit batty at times. I have a 6 month old and we eat ok most of the time, but finding time to exercise is a bit of a challenge.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:35 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hey guys,
My husband's job provide breakfast, lunch, snacks and happy hour food and it's really caused him to rapidly gain a lot of weight. He's expressed concern but I'm thinking he's discouraged or too stressed to deal with developing healthy habits. He's also a workaholic at a high stress sedentary job and wont make time to exercise or practice self care. I'm really worried about his health but I don't know if there's anything I can do to support or encourage him without sounding like I'm fat shaming him (esp.since it's not really a fat issue at all). I know it's getting tough for him to go up stairs, hike, his joints are hurting him, and weight gain exacerbates his asthma. Any advice about how I can help him? We both struggle with inactivity and healthy food choices but I've watched his overall well being plummet in the last 6 months and I'm terrified he will get sick or hurt.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:39 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I know it's not a great time of year for it, but is there some activity you two could do together outside? I think some hiking would be a huge stress relief. Or maybe one of those indoor rock wall places? I think something like that would be a bonding experience as well as a way to get some good exercise. Not sure otherwise. I think it has to come from him, but maybe if he's feeling a little better, it can get the ball rolling on him taking a bit of time for himself.

I don't think it'd be a bad idea for you to check in with him though and voice your concern, especially the way you say it here. Maybe just ask if he wants to talk about it? About the stress of work and how he's feeling? Even though Wilson isn't a big talker and bottles emotions, I feel like sometimes it just really helps him to be able to bisque about work a little and for me to just listen.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:13 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

couroupita wrote:
Hey guys,
My husband's job provide breakfast, lunch, snacks and happy hour food and it's really caused him to rapidly gain a lot of weight. He's expressed concern but I'm thinking he's discouraged or too stressed to deal with developing healthy habits. He's also a workaholic at a high stress sedentary job and wont make time to exercise or practice self care. I'm really worried about his health but I don't know if there's anything I can do to support or encourage him without sounding like I'm fat shaming him (esp.since it's not really a fat issue at all). I know it's getting tough for him to go up stairs, hike, his joints are hurting him, and weight gain exacerbates his asthma. Any advice about how I can help him? We both struggle with inactivity and healthy food choices but I've watched his overall well being plummet in the last 6 months and I'm terrified he will get sick or hurt.

Next time he expresses concern himself, maybe you guys can brainstorm a few small ways to improve the situation while he's at work? Maybe print out one of those desk exercise infographics, talk about taking short breaks for stretching and brisk walks (even multiple trips to the bathroom or water cooler?) and then talking about things like filling up on salad or fruit before hitting the main course while eating?

The mini-exercise/stretching/breathing breaks would probably help his stress levels, too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:29 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

couroupita wrote:
Hey guys,

I also have a sedentary job (like so many people) and even though I get lots of fitness, I hate how much I sit during the day. This is similar to Moon's suggestion, but earlier this year, I bought myself a standing desk converter:
http://ca.varidesk.com/varidesk-single

It wasn't cheap, but I am trying to get my work's health and wellness spending account to pay for it. Since your husband's job seems to have lots of benefits and perks, maybe he could get it covered as well? It probably won't count for much as far as exercise/weight loss goes, but changing the way he works might help manage stress at work a little better. I know not being on my butt for the entire 8hrs at work has decreased some little aches and pains I can get at the end of the day. Sitting at a computer all day is hard on the bod!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:20 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

This is my plan for daily (within reason) exercise in 2014: the 5-minute plank. I was doing it daily as part of a class while I was in Ireland earlier this year and felt such a big difference even after just a week.

http://physicalliving.com/the-5-minute- ... -hard-abs/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thank you for the excellent advice! I asked last night if he'd be interested in exercising with me after work for 30 min. He said yes! This is so good for both of us. We're going to check out our apt complex's gym tonight. If it doesn't work for us we decided to try jogging around our neighborhood or checking out the 24 hr fitness down the street. I think I need to work myself up to talking about healthy work habits. Ugh. I think I will have to wait till he brings it up again because otherwise if feels so meddlesome and then I'll try moon's approach because it sounds super smart.

studio, how funny, his work just upgraded everyone's desks to those convertible ones! He said he likes them a lot. He actually works for a fitness company so it's kind of a weird situation because they are supportive but also demanding.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:20 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Corucopita, that's great! That way it's not too much at a time and also doesn't mean less time together for you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Hey, I need this thread around more!!

I am trying to make a more concerted effort lately to make better choices- lately I feel hungover all the time, even when I'm not drinking. I'm tired of it.
Exercise is on the list to get sorted, along with drinking a liter of water in the morning. I find it helps me in various ways (like needing about half of the caffeine I normally would, and helps my digestion.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:25 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I really need to up my water consumption too! Especially before/during my period. It's messed up that when I least want to drink water I need it the most.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:53 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I recently started adding a bit of coconut water powder to my water bottle every once in a while, which definitely helps with my hydration levels. This stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Tree-Farms-Co ... coco+hydro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:11 am 
Impressive boner

Recently I've cut right back on starchy carbs and refined sugar and have added more protein and raw veg to my diet. The advances I've seen in training is noticible, my personal bests are increasing regularly and my muscles are becoming more noticible. I'm also shedding weight at around 1lb per week.

I'm having a smoothie for breakfast with fruit, non dairy milk, PB or Udo's and protein powder, a huge salad for lunch, another protein shake in the afternoon and dinner in the evening - normally a small amount of starch from vegetables along with some protein and fat. I feel like this could be manageable for me in the long term and that feels good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:50 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

That's awesome!

I notice great results in my training when I cut back on starchy carbs and refined sugar as well. Unfortunately, it's really tough to stick to, since a lot of my races or workouts burn 1,000+ calories in one go, and it's EXPENSIVE to replace those without starchy carbs, so lots of oatmeal and brown rice for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:36 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm trying to make healthier choices. Being unemployed and all the other awfulness of 2013 has led to me gaining some weight and feeling sluggish and crappy and tired. I'm making a concerted effort to eat less sugary things, control my portions a bit and have more smoothies. Also, scaling up my gym attendance - I was going only 2x a week but I'm aiming for more.

I rely on having leftovers for lunch often, but I'd like to get used to making big salads instead. With some grains, greens, veg and a nice dressing. What are everyone's faves?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

paprikapapaya wrote:
I rely on having leftovers for lunch often, but I'd like to get used to making big salads instead. With some grains, greens, veg and a nice dressing. What are everyone's faves?

Have you tried the chickpea-quinoa salad with balsamic dressing from AFR? It's hella good!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:10 pm 
Impressive boner

jordanpattern wrote:
That's awesome!

I notice great results in my training when I cut back on starchy carbs and refined sugar as well. Unfortunately, it's really tough to stick to, since a lot of my races or workouts burn 1,000+ calories in one go, and it's EXPENSIVE to replace those without starchy carbs, so lots of oatmeal and brown rice for me.

1000+ is a lot to replace. How do the oats and rice suit you?

My training is 500-600 calories per session, but I'm also carrying a fair bit of extra body fat so don't generally feel any ill effects if I have a calorie deficit. Buuuutt....I went to a buffet lunch today, didn't eat well and training wasn't so great 6 hours later. Back to the salad.

PPP - the maple mustard dressing from V'con is great. I usually make it with granulated sucralose instead of maple and it holds up fine. It's great mixed with some mayo and a little bit of water to make a pourable consistency.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:52 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

paprikapapaya wrote:
I'd like to get used to making big salads instead.

So, what I do is chop up like 2 cups of arugula and spinach, add some olive oil and red onion, and then put whatever leftover I have laying around on top. This way I get a bunch of greens in and have a bit less of whatever my leftover is (tofu scramble or pasta or something like that.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:19 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

8ball wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
That's awesome!

1000+ is a lot to replace. How do the oats and rice suit you?

[/quote]

The oats and rice are pretty good! I also do pretty well on potatoes (both sweet and regular) as well.

PPPP, I like to roast veggies in advance like beets, squash, onions, carrots, etc. Then I just throw them on greens with some baked tofu or roasted chickpeas. If I have nuts, I'll throw those on as well. I keep a jar of simple vinaigrette in my fridge as well (balsamic, olive oil, dijon, maple syrup).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:31 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm really bad for not eating at work, and also I never really much want to eat salad for dinner or breakfast, so at the beginning of my workweek I bring in a homemade tupperware of salad dressing (or hummus, etc), some washed and chopped greens, and as the week goes on whatever ends up as leftovers (within reason) becomes the bulk for my salad. My favourite for this is broiled tofu, roasted chickpeas, marinated tempeh, and avocado, but I'll also bring whatever veggies I've prepared from my CSA delivery when I have them. I have roasted almonds and a nooch shaker at my desk.

Drinking water is hard! I made a concentrated effort to drink a reasonable amount today and it was...boring? annoying? I like sparkling water so my sodastream keeps me hydrated at home but at work I'm always so intensely thirsty (I don't drink any fluids at work, just the odd cup of tea) that if I had a free supply of coconut water I'd probably have a lot more energy. Is the coconut water powder stuff really coconutty? I am not enthused about coconut stuff since veganism became "100% coconut consumption all the time" in late 2012.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:21 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I feel like you can't go wrong with taco salads. Unless you don't like tacos, obviously. I just make tacos as normal and Brian puts his stuff in Tortillas, and I put my beans, 'meat' (either Boca or lentils), salsa, guac, and some crushed up chips on a big pile of lettuce. So i'm not really taking anything out of the taco, i'm just adding in a mess of greens.

I don't find water boring so that's not an issue for me, but I find having a really big water glass/mug helps, mine is an old Weight Watchers mug that holds 36 ounces. I plop that down on my desk with a straw and sip on it constantly. If I drink from a smaller glass and I run out while i'm playing a video game or something, i'm probably not going to get up and refill it until I have to pee.

I don't think coconut water tastes very coconutty in general, I got a bunch of the shelf-stable kind of Big Lots because it was really cheap and to me it tastes almost...salty? It's hard to describe, but the water and the meat taste very different.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:00 pm 
Tofu Pup

when people would say "drink plenty of water", how "plenty' is plenty? because just like everything else, too much of something is bad as well. i found an online calculator that computes the amount of water you should be taking daily.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next