| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Choices and Advice
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:58 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I used to really try and get 1 gallon of water a day because that is what I kept reading about. Now a lot of advice seems to be "drink when you're thirsty." So that's what I do. Some days I'm thirstier than others, depending on weather, exercise, if I ate something really salty, etc. It probably averages out to just under 1 gallon a day when I just take cues from my body. My urine is pretty close to clear (sorry if TMI) so I take that as a sign that I'm doing okay.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:13 am 
Seagull of the PPK

taking advantage of the bump: Mr T and I both have realized that despite both of us exercising, we are both gaining weight. Aside from the beermaking (which only affects me, since he doesn't really drink) we don't have any other big changes except for just getting older.
So we've decided, since it's winter, that soup for dinner may be an easy, low-effort answer. we both make/take our lunches and eat lunch out a few times a week, so if we have a large meal for lunch and small for dinner, that may be an easy change to make.

Does anyone else eat this way? I wonder just how reasonable this is. We have another month or two of cold weather and then I'll have to figure out the warm weather alternative.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

it's really cliche but balance is the key to everything. diet programs come and go some would advice to avoid carbs, others stick to protein, but then again, eating with the right proportions, avoiding processed products and even just 20-30 minutes exercise daily could do a lot of wonders to not just achieving the weight you want but also stay healthy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:27 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Yay! I have biked to class every day for the last week and a half, and the pup and I have done at least 2 miles of walking per day. I'm so proud of myself. The dress that was just a teeny bit too tight now fits! I mean, it fits tight, but not uncomfortably tight! I feel great, too. More exercise!

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:50 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

torque wrote:
taking advantage of the bump: Mr T and I both have realized that despite both of us exercising, we are both gaining weight. Aside from the beermaking (which only affects me, since he doesn't really drink) we don't have any other big changes except for just getting older.
So we've decided, since it's winter, that soup for dinner may be an easy, low-effort answer. we both make/take our lunches and eat lunch out a few times a week, so if we have a large meal for lunch and small for dinner, that may be an easy change to make.

Does anyone else eat this way? I wonder just how reasonable this is. We have another month or two of cold weather and then I'll have to figure out the warm weather alternative.

I love soup for dinner (and lunches) all year round! (but I don't experience Brazilian heat!). It's the perfect way to cram in every veggie in your meal, feel full, and have fun with seasonings, and soup is like the only thing I can make a huge batch of and know we'll have leftovers (Jay is a vacuum). I find I turn to soups a lot because they are economical, but they're really healthy too.

I have a little beer belly and I don't mind it, and Jay has one too, but once in a blue moon we're like "oh I guess maybe we don't need to use that much oil and have chips for dessert."

I really dig that 30 minute vegan Soup's On cookbook!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:06 am 
Seagull of the PPK

vijita wrote:
I have a little beer belly and I don't mind it, and Jay has one too, but once in a blue moon we're like "oh I guess maybe we don't need to use that much oil and have chips for dessert."

hahaha, we are both now giving each other the guilty look at times. We've cut out the deep fried stuff and I have heard a few plaintive "but what about those oil-free fryer machines" type pleas recently.

Believe it or not, you probably get the same summer heat that we do! Our average temps are between 8 and 27C, and i am not sure I can think of more than one time we got into the 30s. If we venture out of our little pocket of miserable weather here then we get some good heat (I love it) but there's some weird combination of our elevation and mountain-ocean-whatever that makes things stay cool.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:18 pm 

Vijita and I have similar feelings about soup. I LOVE soup. Fall-spring I need to convince myself to not make it almost every day for dinner.

Soup, stew, chilli, and curry type things are my fallbacks for cheap and healthy and typically lower calorie dinners. Plus I am more comfortable making substitutions in soups and stews for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:07 am 

torque wrote:

I eat like that! I'm happiest with a big brunch/lunch and a light dinner = salad, even in winter, unless it's forking cold, then I eat soup. (But I usually ok with salad until it's 0c.) My salads are pretty epic, but I've been doing it for years and am happy with it. ...It takes some adjusting to. And I don't stick to it like glue; it's like 90% what I'm happiest with and want, but for the rest, sometimes pizza or whatever happens. NatureBoy would probably like cooked dinner more often than me (and when we do a lot of cooked dinners, I notice I gain weight -- not necessarily a bad thing). So maybe it'd help?

Not sure what kind of advice you'd like beyond general encouragement, so feel free to ping me or whatever makes sense to you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:26 pm 
Tofu Pup

Moon wrote:
Vijita and I have similar feelings about soup. I LOVE soup. Fall-spring I need to convince myself to not make it almost every day for dinner.

Soup, stew, chilli, and curry type things are my fallbacks for cheap and healthy and typically lower calorie dinners. Plus I am more comfortable making substitutions in soups and stews for some reason.

i love soup as well. you can throw in anything you want and you are good. its fast, easy and delicious. and we are not talking about the soups from cans and packets here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:35 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

My family would have fruit smoothies after meals. We tried these recipes http://tgp.com.ph/blog/5-yummy-smoothie ... -friendly/ and used coconut milk yogurt(So Delicious) :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10