| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Choices and Advice
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:15 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

jordanpattern wrote:
I forgot to mention that I bought a neat book yesterday: Eat & Run by Scott Jurek. I happen to think endurance runners are insane, but Josh at Herbivore said it was a great read on endurance athletics, and that there are some great recipes in the book. If dude can run 100 miles on whatever's in that book, I am game to try it!

It's a good book and Scott's a nice guy. He's been vegan for a long time while running long long distances.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:19 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

ndpittman wrote:
8ball wrote:
j-dub wrote:
feel so strong and empowered after lifting a bunch of heavy things. And I laugh when dudes seem put off by a woman in the squat rack..

Hahaha, yeah me too!

You both really inspire me. I wish I could get over myself and try out some heavier lifting.

You can totally do it! Check out Go Kaleo for inspiration. You can also check out Stronglifts 5x5 for a basic program, but a head's up that he's kind of a sexist douchebro, so avoid if that's gonna turn you off lifting.

Honestly, I did day 1 of Stronglifts using dumbbells just to prove to myself I could lift the weight, then the next time I put my big girl pants on, put my most empowering lady-rock song on, and strolled into the squat rack. And I felt AMAZING.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:48 am 
Impressive boner

Thanks for the suggestion of Go Kaleo J-dub, I just had a read and and it's great! Very inspiring. I love her attitude.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:54 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Great thread! Like ndpittman, I think I am in between weight loss and just trying to be healthy, so this thread is perfect. I'm trying to drop the proverbial last 5 lbs, but in reality, I don't think I really care about that as long as I tone up a few stubborn spots. I've decided to quit the calorie counting, restriction, and mental hoopla that (for me) accompanies all of that. Instead, I want to focus on eating smartly, which for me means eating when I'm hungry instead of adhering to a schedule per se, eating the most nutritional bang for the buck 90% or so of the time while allowing myself treats 10% or so of the time (for my sanity!). And more importantly, I want to focus on fitness goals like many of you had expressed. I will do a pullup by the end of the year!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:56 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'll echo everyone else and say this thread is great. We just moved and we're determined to get away from all the junk we were eating before because I worked at a grocery store and we ended up eating a lot of loss stuff from there. Lots of processed vegan stuff because it was free. So we're trying to get back to whole meals. It's also nice being surrounded by mountains, trails, and all sorts of outdoor opportunities versus where we were before. My goal before the end of the summer is to ride a century.

I love the idea of making quinoa/bean salads and having those around as snacks along with fruit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:00 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

J-dub: loving Go Kaleo! Joined Eat the Food on FB even. Any experience with New Rules of Lifting for Women? I will check out Stronglifts 5 x 5.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:09 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
J-dub: loving Go Kaleo! Joined Eat the Food on FB even. Any experience with New Rules of Lifting for Women? I will check out Stronglifts 5 x 5.

I'm also in Eating The Food...it's a mix of really awesome, strong, healthy folks, and people fresh off the diet/disordered eating train so it can be a little...irritating at times. I looked briefly into New Rules of Lifting for Women and while the rules seemed fine, there's a chapter on nutrition that seems to really be the same old, same old, starve yourself bullshiitake so I avoided it. Plus, I am not of the belief that lifting needs to differ by gender. But if it works for you go for it!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:17 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i just went on there to check it out too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:55 pm 

j-dub wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

I'm also in Eating The Food...it's a mix of really awesome, strong, healthy folks, and people fresh off the diet/disordered eating train so it can be a little...irritating at times. I looked briefly into New Rules of Lifting for Women and while the rules seemed fine, there's a chapter on nutrition that seems to really be the same old, same old, starve yourself bullshiitake so I avoided it. Plus, I am not of the belief that lifting needs to differ by gender. But if it works for you go for it!

I get a little overwhelmed by all that's going on on Eat the Food, but overall it's good motivation for me, I think. Eat, exercise, move on.

I think I'll give New Rules... a pass then. Plus, the 5 x 5 is so simple! I get bogged down by remember what to do, how much weight, what order, etc. I can remember three exercises though (at least for 'A').

Now where did I put my big girl pants...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:56 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
j-dub wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

I get a little overwhelmed by all that's going on on Eat the Food, but overall it's good motivation for me, I think. Eat, exercise, move on.

I think I'll give New Rules... a pass then. Plus, the 5 x 5 is so simple! I get bogged down by remember what to do, how much weight, what order, etc. I can remember three exercises though (at least for 'A').

Now where did I put my big girl pants...

If you have an iDevice there's a Stronglifts app where you can track your workouts and it automatically bumps up your weight if you do all your sets and if not it tells you to stay at that weight next time.

And I promise it's only scary for the first week or so! I just got back to the gym after a week of being sick and totally felt like I belonged with the dudes lifting heavy weights. And I definitely got a couple "whoa, she means business" looks, which is awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:01 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

pandacookie wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
I forgot to mention that I bought a neat book yesterday: Eat & Run by Scott Jurek. I happen to think endurance runners are insane, but Josh at Herbivore said it was a great read on endurance athletics, and that there are some great recipes in the book. If dude can run 100 miles on whatever's in that book, I am game to try it!

It's a good book and Scott's a nice guy. He's been vegan for a long time while running long long distances.

Oh yeah! I've been meaning to check that one out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:06 pm 
Chip Strong

I'd love to make my own cereal bars too :) Has anyone here ever done it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've done Stronglifts 5x5 and I really enjoyed it! I, too, felt totally empowered deadlifting the crazy big plates. I'm doing more endurance stuff right now, but when I want to get back to lifting heavy, I'll probably follow that program again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Reading the go kaleo website is making me think i should pick up the circuit training i used to do with bodyrock (i would honestly only use the old workouts from before they switched it all up) to increase my strength training. I do a LOT of cardio right now and only a little strength training.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:25 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

jordanpattern wrote:

As for protein, I will down a water bottle with a scoop of Vega powder in it after rides. It's not amazing taste-wise, but it does get me 25 grams of protein in one go.

So, what I would do after long rides and hikes is toss some plant milk in the Vita Mix with protein power (Vega or similar) add: hemp seeds, chia seeds, a couple of dates, a spoonful of nut butter, or Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter, some cacao nibs and some ice cubes. If I was camping, I made this in advance and kept it in the cooler. I drank this within the prescribed hour after workout and really felt like it made a difference in recovery as well as getting some good calories in.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:31 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Imogen wrote:
I'd love to make my own cereal bars too :) Has anyone here ever done it?

I've made these and they were super! Like, rice krispie treats but with substance:

http://cupcakesandkale.blogspot.ca/2012 ... -bars.html

peanut butter endurance bars {gf}makes 24 small bars or 12 large bars
5 cups crisp brown rice cereal
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
2 tbsp raw sesame seeds
1/3 cup dried fruit {i used a combo of cranberries, cherries & goji berries}<- this is from the recipe. Me, Sz, I used apricots and dates.
1/3 cup ground flax seed
1 cup brown rice syrup
3/4 cup natural pb -- Sz: I use almond butter
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp fine sea salt {optional}

in a very large bowl, mix together the cereal, seeds, fruit and flax. set aside. in a small saucepan heat the brown rice syrup and peanut butter until they've melted and can be incorporated (this should only take 2-3 minutes over medium-low heat). remove from the heat and stir in the salt & vanilla. pour this mixture over the cereal and mix it all together, being sure to coat everything. then, pour it all into a 9x13 baking pan that's been lined with parchment paper and press it down evenly to fill it. pop it in the fridge to harden for 30 minutes, then cut the bars up with a sharp knife. keep them in an airtight container either at room temperature or in the fridge.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:40 pm 
Dead by dawn

I like this thread. I keep popping in to visit the weight loss thread but, despite the fact that I still have some extra padding I'd like to shed, it's not exactly where I belong. I do want to lose a few pounds because I'll see gains as a runner and a cyclist if I get a little leaner, but I'm not in a position to diet right now because I'm just off marathon training and a couple of months out from my first* half-Ironman. My maintenance calorie count is pretty high... I just need to be focusing on getting those calories from the best places possible. I've always had a bit of a block against supplemental protein but I'm getting over it and making a point of using plant milk + protein powder as recovery fuel after tougher workouts. Someone upthread said something about thinking in terms of "how is this going to make me feel / how is this going to fuel my next training session?" which I think is where I really want to put my focus because I tend to snack mindlessly. Anyway, I am an exceedingly mediocre triathlete and/or a fair-to-middling runner who likes to eat and wants to strike a balance between the two, so I might just be hanging out in this thread regularly.

*second, technically, but I flatted out of the first, so first one I intend to finish.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:53 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I haven't been good about remembering to eat a salad before lunch and dinner. I find that this is the best way for me to make sure I'm eating a lot of greens and veggies. It just requires so much produce and prep. Generally, no matter how well I plan I run out of lettuce or greens halfway through the week. Apparently I eat about a head of lettuce a day.

Submit your salad ideas!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:10 am 

I think the salad on Oh She Glows today looks AWESOME.

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/04/15/warm-spring-salad/

For some reason I'm really excited about combining strawberries, peas, and asparagus.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:26 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

The vitamix I ordered is arriving tomorrow. I expect my veggie consumption to go through the roof!

I had a super shitty weekend this weekend (just life-wise, not health-wise), and I missed out on getting meals planned for the week. I will make that a priority for today. I've been wanting more salads in my life as well (like NA, I find they're a good way to make sure I'm getting in a shiitake tonne of veggies), but it's COLD here, and that makes me not want to eat salads.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:39 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm eating a LOT of salads this week. My main concern is getting enough calories, so I think I'll make coconut rice tonight and bring that as a side to my salad for lunches. (Brown rice & has chickpeas added in for protein)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:40 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

ndpittman wrote:
I think the salad on Oh She Glows today looks AWESOME.

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/04/15/warm-spring-salad/

For some reason I'm really excited about combining strawberries, peas, and asparagus.

That sounds really good! I don't love asparagus, so I might sub artichokes.

I'm having trouble figuring out when I should workout and when I should take a rest day. Yesterday I did some intense vinyasa and my legs are pretty sore. I was going to do yoga this morning, but I was worried it would exacerbate the soreness and I would have to skip my run this afternoon. But, I really hate skipping yoga. Does anyone have a rule of thumb regarding when to lay low and when to work through it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:42 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

For what it's worth, I work out 6 days a week and have one rest day. That's probably more intensity than most are looking for, but in terms of gaining strength, the thing that will do it is putting increasing loads of training stress on your body, which means working out more. You don't want to injure yourself, of course, but working out with sore muscles is usually fine. What you need to watch out for is general fatigue, irritability, trouble sleeping, loss of appetite, etc., since those can be indicators of overtraining. I don't think you're likely to experience that from yoga, though.

My healthy choice today is making an appointment to see a physical therapist for an injury that's been nagging me for some time. Probably not going to be the funnest thing in the world, but I hope that not having near-constant shoulder pain and tension will be good for me in the long run. Yay!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:53 am 

Thanks for that jordanpattern. I was wondering about the difference between being sore/tired and overtraining. I'm still working on my schedule, and I'd love to hear what other people are doing. I generally take two rest days per week, but I've been trying to increase my overall activity levels, so it's getting a little muddled. Like, I may not be doing an intense workout on a particular day, but I'll do yoga and take a walk or something. Weekend before last I was completely exhausted though. Last week I increased what I was eating a bit and took a complete rest day, and I feel much better. Now it's just getting myself to eat the most nutritional bang for my buck (at least 80% of the time because chocolate).

I really hope you get good news at the physical therapist today. Good for you for getting it checked out. I know you are TOUGH, but it's always smarter just get something checked out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:44 am 
Dead by dawn

I also train 6 days a week, but my schedule is made by my coach so she's the one doing the strategizing about when workouts are the most intense vs when a rest day is scheduled. I should really pay closer attention to the mix of endurance, tempo and strength-focused workouts, how they're arranged and when she puts recovery in there. The upside of a coach is not having to have that knowledge yourself; I only have to trust her and execute her plan. But it would be nice to have a bit deeper understanding of how rest and recovery play into it because it really is an important part of the overall picture - you have to give your body a chance to adapt to the pressures you're putting on it, to learn the lessons that training sessions are teaching it, and that happens during recovery.

I haven't had to use a PT, jopa, but biker boy sees one semi-regularly. He's been able to get nearly instant relief from some of his more acute pains and then go home with a list of exercises to strengthen whatever's causing them (usually a hip, but that's improving steadily.) Anyway, I'm not sure he'd call it "fun" but I've seen him get a pretty big payoff out of 20 minutes of poking and prodding and "move your leg this way," "now that way."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next